Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delta Inverter Communications

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

aesculus

Still Trying to Figure This All Out
May 31, 2015
Northern California
The Delta M4 that Tesla supplies only seems to have Bluetooth to talk to their little gateway box you need to plug into a ethernet cable. Delta says the M series can have Wi-Fi and ethernet as an option.

I am looking for a way to see what this inverter is doing vs only the aggregated value from all three of my solar systems in the Tesla app.

Has anyone put in the optional communications card and if so could you access the data from the inverter?

Note I have not gotten a PTO for this inverter yet so I am not certain what capabilities Tesla will provide if anything. The Tesla installer basically said it was for FW updates and monitoring by Tesla, but he did not even allude that I would have access to any data from the inverter other than the CT that is monitoring my collection of inverters.

I use the "M professional" app if I want to see info of each inverter. You need to be close to it though for a connection since this is via bluetooth.
Thanks. I too can use that for a spot view of production, but was hoping for something more "historical" and one that I didn't have to "go for a walk" to check on. Plus I would like to capture the output in my computer.

Hello,

I have a Delta M10 and tried plugging in the ethernet port but it doesn't appear to be active. I tried looking at the Delta manuals but it doesn't say anything on how to activate it. Any advice?
Did you log in as a customer and select Network and then Ethernet and then select the Connect button at the bottom? I only use a static IP address for the ethernet so cannot comment on how DHCP might work, but I would think the same.

@aesculus were you able to make use of the ethernet port inside the delta m-series inverter?

I have an M10, and I tried the m professional app and the m tool app on an iphone, as well as the m professional app on android. I tried making an account on the m tool app, the m professional app on both devices doesn't seem to have any account section at all that i have found.

On all three, there is no "Network" section anywhere. Feeling blind lol.

I have modbus monitoring, which works for now, but would like to get it on the network.

Does it have a default IP that you remember? It did not attempt to register with DHCP according to my router. I haven't tried a network scan yet, not knowing even what subnet it might be in if it came preset with one. Or maybe the network port is disabled completely?

@aesculus were you able to make use of the ethernet port inside the delta m-series inverter?

I have an M10, and I tried the m professional app and the m tool app on an iphone, as well as the m professional app on android. I tried making an account on the m tool app, the m professional app on both devices doesn't seem to have any account section at all that i have found.

On all three, there is no "Network" section anywhere. Feeling blind lol.

I have modbus monitoring, which works for now, but would like to get it on the network.

Does it have a default IP that you remember? It did not attempt to register with DHCP according to my router. I haven't tried a network scan yet, not knowing even what subnet it might be in if it came preset with one. Or maybe the network port is disabled completely?
No. My last post was bogus. I was thinking the Tesla GW when I responded. I am using the Tesla supplied black box (Nerio?) for my Delta and it's connected to a WiFi extender via ethernet. But that IP address gives nothing. Trying to connect to it will result in no connection, so I doubt there is a web server built into the unit (at least my unit).

The only way I have been able to communicate with it is to go stand within about 8 feet of it and use the app as described above.

Ah okay. C'est la vie.
I have been able to read data from the inverter via a MODBUS connection (on pins 7 and 8 on that ethernet port), but I haven't seen any obvious way to read the contents of the system error log.
Things like these, and the string voltages/amps on each MPPT:

1655935341421.png

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder
I just moved into a house with a Delta M4 inverter installed with Tesla solar panels. How do i connect it to the Tesla app?
Tesla has a little black box that you have to place near the inverter but this is only for Tesla's use in maintaining the inverter and monitoring it.

They should have installed CTs on the circuit for the solar roof and that is what the app uses. You will have to have Tesla move that solar roof into your Tesla account and then it will show up as a building you slide to like from a car to the energy panel.

Tesla has a little black box that you have to place near the inverter but this is only for Tesla's use in maintaining the inverter and monitoring it.

They should have installed CTs on the circuit for the solar roof and that is what the app uses. You will have to have Tesla move that solar roof into your Tesla account and then it will show up as a building you slide to like from a car to the energy panel.
Thanks for this. I dont see any black box here. Maybe the owner moved it with them? Can i buy it separately from Tesla maybe?

Thanks for this. I dont see any black box here. Maybe the owner moved it with them? Can i buy it separately from Tesla maybe?
It would have to be inside and close to the inverter (like 20 feet) and plugged into ethernet.

You should ask Tesla. A year and half ago my PM said they were running out because they were moving to the Tesla inverters. He snagged one of the last ones for me.

I just moved into a house with a Delta M4 inverter installed with Tesla solar panels. How do i connect it to the Tesla app?
Did you buy the house or are you renting? If you bought the house, the owner should have provided information to transfer monitoring to you. If you didn't get it, ask your agent to contact the seller's agent to get it from the previous owner.