Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delta M-4, String drops out to zero for 2 hrs ? [delta inverter issues]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I oversized my inverters to never have these issues. BUT, I was not worried about the extra price
Our inverters are oversized and we've never experienced clipping but we had an issue similar to this last year with one of our inverters. This doesn't look like clipping to me. Every graph I've seen of clipping shows the production flatline at the top of the curve. I think this shows the inverter is having other problems.

Maybe @nwdiver can chime in with his opinion?

Yeah, I wish Tesla would have done that too, but it looks like they just grabbed whatever was in the warehouse on the day of the install. From what I've read, it looks like 1.1-1.2 is sort of industry standard, so 1.36 is kind of on the high side. It's silly to charge per watt of panel, but then peg your production with an undersized inverter (yes, I understand you get more with this setup during non-clipping times than a comparable 4 kW panel system, but why, to save $100 on the inverter and maybe $10 on the smaller breaker?)
All the contractors I have worked with the last 4 years ALL state 99% of customers what the cheapest, period, no discussion. Look how many always talk about but Tesla was the cheapest, even though most post on their customer service is terrible. Them changing stuff, even though legal in the contract. So, I have had to go out of my way with each contractor telling them I did not want the cheapest price. I wanted what they would do if my home was theirs. I want the best of the money. The most flexible in the future. And all of them are basically shocked and say they basically never hear anyone ask this.

All the contractors I have worked with the last 4 years ALL state 99% of customers what the cheapest, period, no discussion. Look how many always talk about but Tesla was the cheapest, even though most post on their customer service is terrible. Them changing stuff, even though legal in the contract. So, I have had to go out of my way with each contractor telling them I did not want the cheapest price. I wanted what they would do if my home was theirs. I want the best of the money. The most flexible in the future. And all of them are basically shocked and say they basically never hear anyone ask this.

Yeah, I'm the same way, but with Tesla's "fixed price per kW" model, you don't really get a say in what equipment they install, nor does their process allow for much customization (hence the low price).

My day was no better today. Here is what I am looking at.
IMG_8ACF0A8147D9-1.jpeg

Maybe one of the real smart solar folks can use this to help diagnose whats going on here. Again, Delta M8 inverter, no clouds or shade on the roof.

Attachments

• IMG_8ACF0A8147D9-1.jpeg
    IMG_8ACF0A8147D9-1.jpeg
    182.1 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I was a little better today. I watched the Delta Inverter output in real time starting at 11 am to see if any string had an output that exceeded invertor specs.

The string drop was about 11:15 on two days...of course, when you watch it..things change...drop didnt happen until 11:53am.It was shorter today.

No voltage or current higher than specs in the minutes/minutes before.
PV1:. V=219 A=9.3 , P=2037w
PV2: V=220 A=10.2, P=2244 W
Total array output P= 4281 W
So, the inverter only needed to clip 281 W.

Not a EE either, but maybe the circuit component that dissipates the excess power is over heating?

Still no response from Tesla service.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210401-175849_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20210401-175849_Tesla.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 52
I just dropped like clockwork. Interesting though, the last week string 1 dropped. Today, string 2 dropped and string 1 is still going

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210406-113719_M Professional.jpg
    Screenshot_20210406-113719_M Professional.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 47
Did you do it through the app, or calling? From reading here, it appears that requests through the app seem to take longer than calling the tesla energy phone number.
Best success I've had is calling the Install crew lead or anyone in the local chain. If they are in Vegas, or elsewhere, I've not had much luck getting a response. The local crew is usually 24hrs or less.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I talked to Tesla installers on neighbors house he said call to get field service tech out.

I called the main energy line. The guy couldnt see the app request...dont use the app.

He sees errors in the inverter but its raining so gotta call back tomorrow so we can play the reset game outside and go from there.

Reactions: SoCalSolarRoof
I've been in contact via chat with whatever their main support account is. They haven't actually responded to the issue, but the CS agent I chatted (one week ago) with has at least emailed twice saying:

I wanted to reach out to let you know I am still waiting for our Systems Diagnostics team to complete their review. I will continue to monitor the case and update you as soon as more information becomes available.

So at least it's still in the system. I have had a few days where things seem to be good (photo 1 attached), but then today has been full sun, and it crapped out again after hitting 4kW and cut power in half (photo 2)

1617915145762.png

1617915152645.png