Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delta M-4, String drops out to zero for 2 hrs ? [delta inverter issues]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do I need to activate the app?
I think so - I found an older post of mine that mentions "activating advanced features". Sorry, but I don't remember exactly how I did that. Maybe clicking the Activation link you have under Analysis would do it? I think whatever I did worked right away or at least right after I re-connected. I did not need to work with anyone at Tesla (or Delta) to activate the features. Hope you're able to figure it out ...

I think so - I found an older post of mine that mentions "activating advanced features". Sorry, but I don't remember exactly how I did that. Maybe clicking the Activation link you have under Analysis would do it? I think whatever I did worked right away or at least right after I re-connected. I did not need to work with anyone at Tesla (or Delta) to activate the features. Hope you're able to figure it out ...
Ah well. Thanks for the tips! If you (or anyone reading this) has a clue on how to activate or get the info I can't see, would greatly appreciate it.

To be honest, Im thinking the inverter is just dead. When the tech comes out, im going to push hard for a Tesla inverter (powerwall+) because of all the issues with these deltas.

I have sort of a related question: My powerwalls are sitting at 44% (and falling, reserve is 50%). I have two of them. If this goes on long enough and the powerwalls deplete entirely (esp. if I have an outage), wouldn't that be an issue?

My powerwalls haven't charged at all from the grid. The only time they have done this is during storm watch. The Tesla Energy person I talked to said that they would grid charge when I mentioned this concern (which is contrary to what I've read before). I have them currently on backup only mode.

Also, other observation: Tesla Energy support seems different now than it used to be. I seemed to more easily get to some answers / real technicians. Now there seems to be more of a hard "tier 1" support layer and more app reliance rather than people with knowledge.

OK pretty funny. So 6532 is the "date code" to log into the device from the M professional app, but it's also the "activation key." Go figure. Once I popped that in, I got all the options you mentioned.

So now that I can see that info, here's my log. More of the same of what I've seen already by just looking at the ERROR status, just shows what I know is already happening -- the inverter flips on, sees this issue, then flips back off over and over again. I currently have it switched with DC power off -- so the inverter is on, just not generating, hence it won't produce these errors anymore.

Pretty sure this is a bad inverter situation. Not happy about this since it's only a year old, and the long lag time before any technician can come out (still 6 days away). Assuming it gets replaced, I'm pressing for a new Tesla powerwall+, not one of these cheap deltas.

IMG_5454 Copy.JPG

Pretty sure this is a bad inverter situation. Not happy about this since it's only a year old, and the long lag time before any technician can come out (still 6 days away). Assuming it gets replaced, I'm pressing for a new Tesla powerwall+, not one of these cheap deltas.
I'm glad you got access. Let us know how they ultimately fix the problem. For my solar roof, one of the techs I talked with said that they would replace a failed Delta with another because changing inverters would require changing hardware (MCIs) on the solar roof. I'm not sure if the same logic would apply for your panels. It also seems like Tesla is still ironing out early production issues with the new inverters, so if you do get one - hopefully it is a good one.

Reactions: dabdine
So Tesla came by today, did what I thought would happen: Poke around on the inverter and conclude that it likely needs to be replaced. I am asking about a new powerwall+ instead, but the technician made a comment on how generally it has to go back to design for that (so, you were spot on @trautmane2). He was leaving while on hold with Delta to troubleshoot the inverter. My guess is nothing will come of troubleshooting and they'll need to RMA. He also said he had never seen my problem before.

Turn-around time for a replacement is 5-7 business days to receive it, plus probably another week to get it installed. So by that time, I'd be out of generation for a month at least, and that's best case.

I'm also asking about my powerwalls, which have now depleted to 24%. They are also rendered useless since I can't charge from the grid. I asked about a config change to grid charge but I'm not holding my breath (not sure if SCE also would have issues with this based on my plant design). He said that the powerwalls will charge from the grid if they get low enough just to keep charge, but they can't be used in backup.

Fairly disappointed.

In case anyone is curious, powerwalls will in fact hit zero percent on the webapp if solar is left off long enough.

Still waiting on my replacement inverter. It has now been a month since the problem began, and 14 days since Tesla diagnosed the issue as an inverter replacement.

My solar system has Safety and Voltage Errors. Tesla will not make any changes because the system is producing. I sent the errors to Delta but they have told me the installer/Tesla is responsible for the support. Attached is a snip of some of the errors downloaded from the Delta inverter. Tesla does not care at all about their customer's safety

6/16/2021 12:14​
Safety Errornormal operation
274​
6/16/2021 12:14​
L2N under voltagenormal operation
470​
8/18/2021 7:44​
274​
8/18/2021 7:44​
L1N under voltagenormal operation
470​
9/18/2021 14:05​
PV Voltage Lownormal operation
265​
9/27/2021 11:11​
265​
9/30/2021 12:39​
265​
10/8/2021 15:34​
274​
470​
470​
L12 under voltagenormal operation
470​
10/22/2021 11:38​
Comm Brokennormal operation
277​
11/7/2021 15:32​
274​
470​
470​
L12 under voltagenormal operation
470​
11/21/2021 13:33​
Comm Brokennormal operation
277​

The errors can be pulled off the system using the m tool app from delta and the date code is the log in. Delta is aware of poor system design by Tesla. They are installing M4 inverters meant for a 3.2 kw system with a 4.08kw system. It is putting too much voltage into the system causing fault shut downs. The m tool will give you information but you need to make a complaint with the state contractor licensing board to assist with resolution since Tesla refuses to fix or repair. I have been at this fight for a year now and have had trouble since installation.

Attachments

• 7E0890B7-4C1F-44FF-B925-AEE42FC463E4.jpeg
    7E0890B7-4C1F-44FF-B925-AEE42FC463E4.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 6A3D896E-E467-45AD-968A-E91290FC105D.jpeg
    6A3D896E-E467-45AD-968A-E91290FC105D.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 56
My 6.27 kW System w/1 Powerwall was installed in late 2019 . A few weeks ago the Delta Solia inverter started beeping and the system was showing that it was not producing any energy. I submitted a service request and technician came out to look at my system. He found a failed emergency cutoff at the panels and replaced it. He also said that the original installers (Tesla) reversed polarity (?) on a section of the panels and that I might notice an increase in production. Lo and behold production now has increased to over 40 kWH in the last few days where historically the max production in same month has been approximately 31 kWh.

Anyone heard of something like this before? Feeling a bit ripped that Tesla didn't do the install properly on day 1 and have been producing 25% less than what I should have expected . On the bright side the technician was pleasant and efficient and good that the failure occurred relatively shortly in the systems life.