Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delta Solivia 3.8 Inverter Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had issues with my Solivia 3.8 inverter since installation... At first, Tesla failed to connect both strings (only connected one). They came back and connected string 2.

After that the inverter constantly has a "411" power failure, resets, then goes to the "Synchronization" screen for 5 minutes before it starts producing again.

This would happen about 5-7 times/hour (yes, that's 35-45 minutes each hour the inverter is just in "Synchronization"). Tesla came out, installed an updated firmware and installed some noise reducers on the input from the panels.

Fast-forward 2 months and the inverter is still doing the same thing, just not as often. Now, it is around 2-3 times per hour. That's still 10-15 minutes/hour that I'm not producing and it is really affecting my daily production.

Tesla is coming out on Monday to "diagnose" the issue. They told me that they've had "a lot of issues with the Delta 3.8". Can anyone give me any tips for when the technician comes by? Perhaps someone else has had the same issue and came to a resolution?

Please advise!

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
I had sort of an issue like that where I was noticing a 5 minute drop in production every day or two (2-3 times per hour is insane). For my issue, they did a firmware update which took like 3 hours, then they came back and adjusted the sensitivity of the inverter so that it wasn't as sensitive to voltage changes (that's my understanding). I have a Solivia 6.6. Hopefully that's all they need to do. After adjusting mine I haven't seen it synchronize in the middle of the day at all. Hopefully you get a tech that is familiar with these inverters as my first guy wasn't.

I had sort of an issue like that where I was noticing a 5 minute drop in production every day or two (2-3 times per hour is insane). For my issue, they did a firmware update which took like 3 hours, then they came back and adjusted the sensitivity of the inverter so that it wasn't as sensitive to voltage changes (that's my understanding). I have a Solivia 6.6. Hopefully that's all they need to do. After adjusting mine I haven't seen it synchronize in the middle of the day at all. Hopefully you get a tech that is familiar with these inverters as my first guy wasn't.

Appreciate the feedback. My fingers are crossed.

I'm wondering if my panel sizing has anything to do with it...I have a 3.8kW inverter and 4.88kW of panels. That's 28% oversized. I see on other forums that you really shouldn't oversize more than 20%. Hopefully the design engineers know what they're doing.

You should be able to check the log at the inverter and see what the event is that is causing the issue. Recently, I had problems similar to yours and it was due to my Powerwalls changing the frequency outside of the limit allowed by the Delta inverters. By default, the inverters would shut off if the frequency went above 60.5 Hz. They updated the firmware on the inverters and adjusted the frequency limits to resolve the issue on mine. My issue sounds similar to what @Shygar was experiencing (except mine was the frequency, not the Volts). It could be you are having a similar issue.

• Informative
You should be able to check the log at the inverter and see what the event is that is causing the issue. Recently, I had problems similar to yours and it was due to my Powerwalls changing the frequency outside of the limit allowed by the Delta inverters. By default, the inverters would shut off if the frequency went above 60.5 Hz. They updated the firmware on the inverters and adjusted the frequency limits to resolve the issue on mine. My issue sounds similar to what @Shygar was experiencing (except mine was the frequency, not the Volts). It could be you are having a similar issue.

The only error that posts is the 411 error. The inverter manual doesn't have any listing for the 411 error code. I don't have a powerwall, either. The tech said that the panels were too "dirty" and the inverter couldn't keep up. I guess we'll see what he says next Monday. This whole solar has been a fiasco....took 6 months just to get PTO cause Tesla kept submitting the application incorrectly. (http://www.deltaww.com/filecenter/Products/Download/05/0505/Manual_Solivia TL_V06_170807_s.pdf)

The only error that posts is the 411 error. The inverter manual doesn't have any listing for the 411 error code. I don't have a powerwall, either. The tech said that the panels were too "dirty" and the inverter couldn't keep up. I guess we'll see what he says next Monday. This whole solar has been a fiasco....took 6 months just to get PTO cause Tesla kept submitting the application incorrectly. (http://www.deltaww.com/filecenter/Products/Download/05/0505/Manual_Solivia TL_V06_170807_s.pdf)
411 is just the submenu code for current information and is not an error code. Does it say External Event on it too? If so you can use the buttons to scroll down and see if it mentions a voltage error, line error etc.

If you push Esc Down Down Down Down, it should show Diagnostic&Alarm and then push Enter to see Internal Log and then Enter again and you can view a log of events. Then use those error numbers and look them up in the Delta documentation.

Last edited:
411 is just the submenu code for current information and is not an error code. Does it say External Event on it too? If so you can use the buttons to scroll down and see if it mentions a voltage error, line error etc.

If you push Esc Down Down Down Down, it should show Diagnostic&Alarm and then push Enter to see Internal Log and then Enter again and you can view a log of events. Then use those error numbers and look them up in the Delta documentation.

That "411" is in the diagnostic & alarm menu...this is what my error log says:

620 Internal log
19.03.19 10:28:26

But, I only get about one of these logs per day....definitely not the 3-4 I'm getting per hour.

That "411" is in the diagnostic & alarm menu...this is what my error log says:

620 Internal log
19.03.19 10:28:26

But, I only get about one of these logs per day....definitely not the 3-4 I'm getting per hour.
Ah ok. I didn't know you were seeing it in the log as well. My inverters have been showing "411 Current Information" along with the production numbers since the day they were installed. I checked my logs and saw lots of different numbers but I don't remember if I saw 411 there as well. I'll have to take another look.

Hopefully they will be able to figure out the issue when they come out.

I have the same issue with the 3.8. The 7.6 is humming along, the 3.8 setting back to synchronization pretty much continuously. I had the system installed in the fall and it worked perfectly then. Recently, Tesla had to repair a leak in the roof (sloppy rerouting of vent pipes). I wonder if the disconnecting and the reconnecting of some of the panels could have affected this....

Tesla came by again and said the "manual for the Solivia is garbage, the 411 error isn't listed in the manual". They told me the 411 error related to some arc fault issues. Tech was more concerned about all the arc fault errors than the actual constant synchronization loop.

They were on the phone with Delta for about 2 hours. Finally convinced Delta to warranty my inverter. Tech assured me the next inverter would be new. 3 weeks later, showed up with a refurbished inverter. It had paint splatters all over it from when the previous owner painted their house. Regardless, installed the refurbished Delta 3.8 inverter and tech told me that it probably wouldn't fix my issue.

Well almost one month later and I haven't had any problems yet with the refurbished unit. I no longer get the constant synchronization cycle and my production is exactly in-line with what I expected. I'm happy now and glad Tesla was able to resolve the problem.

My friend had a similar issue with his solar, his company (not Tesla) charged him $400 just to come out and diagnose the system to determine if it would be covered by warranty. Glad Tesla didn't do that...

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and Shygar
Hello all,
Having the exact same 411 issue on my smaller 3.8 unit. Tesla last year upgraded the firmware to no avail, and it took another 5 months until they got the replacement inverter. Things we're working fine until this week and now the dreaded 411 error is back on the same smaller unit. I can disconnect and reconnect as after the 5 minutes it starts producing again, but will again crash out after some time. It seems to always trigger around 12-1pm. I also notice that my 6.6 inverter is putting out about 3800 watts and the smaller 3.8 is doing 3300 watts so only a small difference, and Im wondering if they have over loaded the smaller unit, which is causing the issue. About to get back on the phone again with them on it. Sigh was hoping this was fixed last year.

Good Evening Everyone,

Unfortunately, I am also in the same boat as everyone else here, and many more has I have been scanning different forums. I also have Delta 3.8 with a Powerwall and have been experiencing brief power outages multiple times a day. It initially started a couple of times a month but has increased to 5+ times a day. The power to the house only goes out for a few seconds, just long enough that everything in the house restarts. This has been ongoing since the Powerall installation at the beginning of April. If I turn the Powerwall and solar off, my house run off the grid fine.

Tesla has been LESS than helpful by any means, heck; the IRS has better customer service and shorter wait time than Tesla. Yesterday, when I contacted Tesla, the customer service representative advised me that I should contact an electrician to resolve my problems, noted above. I actually repeated back what she said because I could not believe I was hearing it. This lack of professionalism is typical of the type of service that I have had since the install. I won't even start about them calling you back; you have a better chance of getting Congress to work together and do their jobs. I am to the point that my only option to remedy this situation is through legal action and compelled inspections of the system by the County. We will see Friday, as they are going to come out and look at the system and try to resolve the issues.

My inverter shows multiple fault codes each day: 268, 276, 471, 433, 273.

• Informative
@toasters33
Anytime I've seen the inverter go into a loop it typically requires a Firmware Update (Not Software). If you still have a service warranty with Tesla then request they come to the site to update the firmware. If you no longer have a service warranty then you will need to reach out to Delta directly to determine how they can send you the update over the air or via email. You will need to purchase a zigbee usb drive to remotely update inverter if there is not a wireless connection to the inverter.

The current firmware that the 3.8 inverter should be at is 2.4.H, and if you are at 2.4.1 then you are out of date. This version has been found to be buggy.

@Ty_Stelow
It sounds like you need an Impedance test completed on your home to verify your grounding to the home is sufficient.