TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Demand for PlugShare Tesla Optimized Browser Integrated into Nav System

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by JordinRecargo, Jun 24, 2014.

1. JordinRecargo

JordinRecargo Member

#1 JordinRecargo, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
    • Like x 1
  2. Vger

Vger Active Member

If by integrated, you mean having the ability for the nav system to search for and route you through non-supercharger EVSE's, or to choose overnight accommodations based on EVSE presence, bring it ON!

3. ferdboyce

ferdboyce "GASKIKR"

This would be a welcome addition if care were taken to avoid clutter: i.e. selectable filter to display only those that are pertinent to Teslas (filter out 110V wall chargers, for example). Hotels/Inns/B&Bs that provide EVSE capability would be VERY useful.

4. tom66

tom66 Member

Well, the dash cluster does have a network link to the main touchscreen so it's theoretically possible but I wouldn't bet on Tesla doing it. If anything they'd roll their own solution only showing superchargers (just a guess.)

5. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Isn't tesla adding this in an upcoming FW release? Or were they just stopping at Super Chargers?

6. JordinRecargo

JordinRecargo Member

You are able to set your filters to only Tesla pertinent stations in settings.[​IMG]

There is also a 'Hotels only" specific filter option
    [​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

We get a lot of feedback that our tesla optimized browser is "slow and laggy", this is something that we cannot control and has to do with internet connection. We are trying to gauge driver demand and hope integration into the Navigation system could be a possibility in the future.

Attached Files:

7. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

Integrated into the Nav sounds great. I always thought it was weird you couldn't search for chargers or see their status (very important!) in the Nav system.

8. swegman

swegman Member

I would like to see this happen

9. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Yes. Thanks.

And the J1772 should be split into less than 10kW and 10kW-20kW

10. Peter_M

Peter_M Member

Sounds cool but the main issue with PlugShare is that it's often hard to tell the power of the station. I think there should be a field for the max delivered power in kW. New stations in the database should be required to have this field, and users should be encouraged to fill it in for existing stations (with some guidance about P=IV for the chargers that are rated in amps). Giving power in kW would work for all kinds of stations - L1/2/3.

11. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

This would be great. I wouldn't want to see them on the map all the time, but being able to pick a type of charger I want to see near by (and then click and navigate to it) would be great.

12. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

Count me in!!! I would very much like to see something like this.

13. GSP

GSP Member

This is a great idea. VERY useful and should be easy to implement.

GSP

14. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

People have been asking for the power delivered search feature for at least a year (along with the hotel feature). I personally made that request when I got my car (June '13) and there are threads on TMC about others doing it as well. I applaud PlugShare/Recargo for making some progress. Wish there was more of it, though.

On the power option, easy to implement but the database needs to get populated. If they created the ability to add this data directly from the lookup page or maybe from the check in page, I bet we would get to a reasonable percentage complete in a few months time. The key is to make it easy to do from the car browser or phone app. Crowd sourcing only works if it's easy.

15. Ugliest1

Ugliest1 S85: "Sparky"

Nav would be great; OTOH I like the progress that Plugshare has been making. Yes that database of V+A or kW needs to be filled up (by "us" after it's easy to do) per the many comments on many threads. My favourite strategy would be what Vger proposed (search/route non-SC EVSE & pick out accommodations).

16. invisik

invisik Member

Yes please!

-m

17. JordinRecargo

JordinRecargo Member

You are able to report the volts and amps. When you check-in at a station there are check boxes to report this information. We still have plans to better organize this information within the description and add filtering capabilities. Add Volts:Amps.png

- - - Updated - - -

Could everyone that would like to see our browser integrated into Tesla's Nav system please provide us with the email associated with your PlugShare account? If you do not want to post it in this forum, you can send an email to [email protected] or [email protected]

Thank you! The more user demand, the better chance of future integration.

18. Peter_M

Peter_M Member

Yes I saw this on the Tesla web page and the iPad app. This is a great improvement! I don't see these fields on the regular web page yet. I hope you're planning to add them there too, for people who check in from home after a trip. Making this more visible and filter-able would be excellent.

And what do you think about making these fields mandatory for new station entries? All I see in the "add station" pages is a place for optional "power rating and other info" in the app, and nothing in the regular web page. This doesn't give enough guidance to get people to enter consistent, usable data.

For the charging station data to be really useful (especially for more complex uses like navigation apps that factor in charge times), it needs to be consistent and accurate, so I think a more forceful approach to get people to enter it right would be warranted.

19. JordinRecargo

JordinRecargo Member

Many improvements are on the way this summer. We definitely keep track and consider all user requests and we know that this is a very popular request.