Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Demand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newer customers less likely to be TMC connected early adopters.

If so, the drop off would be gradual. Instead it is pretty radically coincident with september and the onset of discounted cars and OA trying their best to get a customer in the car this quarter. My take is that most of the buyers in September who would've custom ordered and filled up the spreadsheet were sold an inventory (possibly on discount) instead.

Taking this from the Average waiting times thread to where it belongs

Factory shutdown as was planned would be my guess. Also gives delivery guys some free time now that they had a hard push. It'/ pretty standard that after a big end of Q push the first few weeks are light on deliveries on the new Q.

The spreadsheet also tracks who orders. As far as I know, sales infrastructure is fully operational so we should at least see entries for new orders and confirmations.

There is one VIN assignment, 1666x from @Ulmo, I take it is actually 1666xx. That would point to a healthy number of VIN assignments since the last week of September yet very few people actually reporting orders for that VIN range. Probably Tesla is focusing on building inventory right now. Having a lot of inventory worked very well last quarter in driving extra sales so it makes sense to repeat that exercise this quarter too.

Taking this from the Average waiting times thread to where it belongs

The spreadsheet also tracks who orders. As far as I know, sales infrastructure is fully operational so we should at least see entries for new orders and confirmations.

There is one VIN assignment, 1666x from @Ulmo, I take it is actually 1666xx. That would point to a healthy number of VIN assignments since the last week of September yet very few people actually reporting orders for that VIN range. Probably Tesla is focusing on building inventory right now. Having a lot of inventory worked very well last quarter in driving extra sales so it makes sense to repeat that exercise this quarter too.

I don't think Tesla is focusing on building inventory now. The expected delivery date for US orders have been pushed out to late November or December. How do you explain that?

Given that there are 23 states where Tesla can not directly sell its cars to customers via a store, and given that Tesla has not even advertised yet, it appears that there is a tremendous amount of potential demand that can be tapped into in the future if needed. Currently not needed.

Building inventory so production capacity is occupied by inventory so custom orders are pushed back a little, makes perfect sense doesn't it?
No. why would they build inventory while they let full price paying customers wait? How does it make sense?

It makes perfect sense in that current production is almost fully occupied for confirmed orders for EU/Asia.

No. why would they build inventory while they let full price paying customers wait? How does it make sense?

It makes perfect sense in that current production is almost fully occupied for confirmed orders for EU/Asia.
Otherwise they will be left with empty stores and potential future customers won't get the chance to feel what they are buying, bad for sales.

Elon Musk on Twitter Wouldn't be surprised if that is something that will increase demand.
The recent design studio changes rather seemed to do go into the opposite direction.

October 17th Tesla announcement confirmed by source is indeed autopilot related.
New hardware started going into cars last week. Model3OwnersClub on Twitter

Not sure what kind of track record those guys have, but it would make sense.

Makes perfect sense ... the current referral program ends on October 15th :cool:
upload_2016-10-9_17-52-12.png

There might be some inventory being built now (have to replenish at some point), but we do have proof that RHD X are being produced now. Check the October MX Deliveries thread; there's multiple reports of RHD X getting VINs - and in the 24,5xx range.

I read a few posts of UK based RHD guys getting Late December, early January delivery commitments. If it takes that long, will they make it by end of Q4? I would hope they are building them now (if not late in Q3). Vin # does not always mean going to production very soon - but lately it appears it has meant that. Notice the early 2014 dates - many were Hong Kong Vin #s assigned in March, went to production in June.

upload_2016-10-10_12-49-16.png