Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Demo car vs custom order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went down to the local Tesla place today intent on ordering a new SR+ M3. Sales person was pleasant to deal with but as I was chatting with them they offered me a demo car, a long range M3 w/ FSD for 52k. When I pushed back they said they could remove the FSD and drop the car by 7k (the price for FSD). Totaled out to about 48k all-in after taxes. SR+ order I was planning on totals out to about 41.5 all-in. Thoughts? Anyone have experience with demo cars? This one looks to have about 900 miles on it.

I do like the idea of more range and slightly upgraded interior (plus faster delivery even though I don't need to rush); however I kind of hate the idea of paying for something thats been in a showroom.

Also, I am not considering just keeping the SR+ and putting what would be the extra money for the demo car toward FSD; just cant justify since it doesnt follow the owner.

Thanks.

You first said demo car then said showroom. Did the sales rep explicitly say the demo would be a showroom car? While that's certainly a possibility, Tesla has several different vehicles that could be classified as a demo that you may want to consider. For discount, I actually started a thread in this forum a bit back about getting people's opinion on the discount you get with a demo and whether they think it's worth it or not. I'd suggest checking that out if you're considering a demo.

He said demo and when I pushed him further he said it was a car that was not in a show room but on a lot that was used for test drives (partially explaining the 900ish mike odometer).

IMO, that's much better. Sure, the car will have been driven harder for those 900 miles but it's better than thousands of hands all over the car, scratching it, wearing down the seats, etc.

At the end of the day, it is more money but you're also getting more value. If you like the loadout of this demo and can afford it, I'd give it serious consideration.

Went down to the local Tesla place today intent on ordering a new SR+ M3. Sales person was pleasant to deal with but as I was chatting with them they offered me a demo car, a long range M3 w/ FSD for 52k. When I pushed back they said they could remove the FSD and drop the car by 7k (the price for FSD). Totaled out to about 48k all-in after taxes. SR+ order I was planning on totals out to about 41.5 all-in. Thoughts? Anyone have experience with demo cars? This one looks to have about 900 miles on it.

I do like the idea of more range and slightly upgraded interior (plus faster delivery even though I don't need to rush); however I kind of hate the idea of paying for something thats been in a showroom.

Also, I am not considering just keeping the SR+ and putting what would be the extra money for the demo car toward FSD; just cant justify since it doesnt follow the owner.

Thanks.

$41K out the door is for the SR+ only. So essentially you are getting a battery upgrade for 7K more? I am assuming you also get the AWD? If you get both the AWD and the range upgrade, then maybe it is a decent deal, but honestly still not that great of a deal since it is driven for 900 miles and probably have wear and tear on it. And there will be wear and tear. Also sounds like you really hate paying for a something in the showroom. So that right there might be sufficient deterant to buy the demo. You might regret it for the life of the vehicle and that IMO is the highest cost. $45K out to door would be a no brainer with AWD and range upgrade. But again that is just me. Best of luck in your decision.

Last edited:
IMO, that's much better. Sure, the car will have been driven harder for those 900 miles but it's better than thousands of hands all over the car, scratching it, wearing down the seats, etc.

At the end of the day, it is more money but you're also getting more value. If you like the loadout of this demo and can afford it, I'd give it serious consideration.

They probably choose the best built quality cars to be demo cars. No panel gaps, paint issues, etc. 900 miles is nothing for an electric car.