Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Demo Experiences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BMWY

Mar 29, 2021
SJ
I recently stumbled on a demo with about 500 miles on it that matches the exact config that I’m waiting for and my SA said he will match it to me no problem. That said, I’m a bit OCD so I’m somewhat nervous about getting a demo, despite the relatively low mileage.

Curious what others experiences have been here with demos? Are they generally in “like new” shape? My main fear is chips/scratches in the paint, since that isn’t a straightforward repair.

Reactions: z335is
It all depends on your personal risk tolerance. I wouldnt do that, especially if you say your "main fear is chips / scratches in the paint". On a brand new model 3, you can hassle tesla to fix that. On a demo, they are likely going to hassle you (more than usual) and say "its a demo."

There generally isnt enough discount for it, for me, anyway.

You are better off trying to join one of those groups where people stalk in stock vehicles or something. I dont have details on that myself as its also not something I was into (preferring to wait for "brand new just made latest vin" model 3 and Y when I bought mine and my wifes car respectively, but I think there is some group or other where people track that.

In general, although "better" teslas are not perfect off the line by any stretch, and me personally, I would question where this 500 mile demo actually came from, why they had it, what is the repair history, etc. I dont even know if they will tell you all that, but its something I would personally have to know, for myself.

My risk tolerance is very low for things that cost this much money, though. I am also not a person who would buy a "treadmill in a garage sale" or anything like that, either (my treadmill was bought after I researched them, and I bought the exact brand / model I wanted, brand new). I mention that for full disclosure on where I fall on this stuff to give the appropriate context.

Reactions: theocguy and z335is
Probably not what you want to hear, but demos are very YMMV. Some will be new car perfect, while others will be trashed. Only having ~500 miles works somewhat in your favor, as I've seen some demos crawl into the 1000 range. That said, the one advantage you have is that if there is something you don't like, you can always reject it. So I'd suggest letting them match you and then see what it looks like in person.

Could be perfectly fine and hopefully you're saving a decent amount. On the flip side you gotta be ok with any small cosmetic issues since they're not going to repaint a demo which is sold as is. You're at the mercy of the service center when you don't buy new.