Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Demo Purchase Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone - I currently have an MYP on order, but I doubt I'll be able to hold on through the 8-12 week delivery timeframe. That said, my SA located an identical build that is a demo with 103 miles on it. As someone with car OCD, would I be making a mistake pulling the trigger on this, or are these low mileage demos generally in like new condition?

They should be. New cars are less than 50 miles. That one has 100. What kind of discount are they offering? If it’s more than $100 then there might be an issue or two but likely there’s nothing wrong with it. Demos have to look good or people won’t buy one.

Well, it is Performance Model Y so it was probably driven hard by everyone who took this Tesla out for a test drive. That said, I doubt the back seats have ever been used. If there was anything mechanically wrong it would have turned up during the test drives. It's not like an ICE vehicle where you can wear out the clutch, over rev the engine or damage the transmission. I doubt the tires have worn significantly in only 100 miles. The Tesla new vehicle warranty would apply if anything is broken or breaks. I would at least look over this vehicle. I have been faced with buying a non-Tesla demonstrator vehicle with 300 miles or waiting many weeks for the new model year vehicles to arrive. I purchased the demonstrator and never had any issue with the vehicle.

Since the Tesla is a Performance Model Y, does it have the new projector beam headlights? I'll assume this vehicle has the new center console, heated steering wheel.

Last edited:
I rolled the dice and lost. Took delivery of demo Model Y that all had all the features I wanted. After getting it home I noticed stains in the back seat that wont wipe out among other issues. I have less than 100 miles on the vehicle. I am trying to contact Tesla but no luck so far so I can return the vehicle. Any suggestions?

Reactions: hcdavis3
I don't believe you can return the vehicle. Always use the Tesla app to contact Tesla Service. You can attach up to (5) photos with the service request. I would take photos of the stains on the rear seat, other issues that can be photographed. List the issues with the vehicle at the time you brought it home. (I would even take a photo of the odometer so it is clear that the Model Y you purchased had less than 100 miles on the odometer at the time of the service request.) From the center screen inside the vehicle swipe right at the bottom of the screen just below the vehicle image. Then swipe down, down, down until you get to the odometer display.)

Don't attempt to clean the stains on the seat as you will probably damage the material. The seats covering is polyurethane material, requires little maintenance. Usually just water and a clean microfiber cloth is all that is needed to remove most stains. Then wipe dry with a second microfiber cloth to avoid streaking. You can also use unscented baby wipes when cleaning the seats. Don't use Magic Eraser as this product contains and abrasive and will damage the finish on the seat. There have even been reports of the adhesive glue used to tack down the seat covering to the foam padding of the seat causing stains. This type of stain should be a warranty repair.

I don't believe you can return the vehicle. Always use the Tesla app to contact Tesla Service. You can attach up to (5) photos with the service request. I would take photos of the stains on the rear seat, other issues that can be photographed. List the issues with the vehicle at the time you brought it home. (I would even take a photo of the odometer so it is clear that the Model Y you purchased had less than 100 miles on the odometer at the time of the service request.) From the center screen inside the vehicle swipe right at the bottom of the screen just below the vehicle image. Then swipe down, down, down until you get to the odometer display.)

Don't attempt to clean the stains on the seat as you will probably damage the material. The seats covering is polyurethane material, requires little maintenance. Usually just water and a clean microfiber cloth is all that is needed to remove most stains. Then wipe dry with a second microfiber cloth to avoid streaking. You can also use unscented baby wipes when cleaning the seats. Don't use Magic Eraser as this product contains and abrasive and will damage the finish on the seat. There have even been reports of the adhesive glue used to tack down the seat covering to the foam padding of the seat causing stains. This type of stain should be a warranty repair.
Thanks for the info. I did put in photos via App and took pic of odometer. We will see what they say or do.

Looking for help on my demo purchase in June. It’s now been two months since I purchased demo Model Y. I put in notes and pics the day I got the car in the service app. I finally got the car into the Tesla Service Center in Austin on Monday, August 16. On Thursday April 19 after being told everyday they were working on my car I finally got a call. The gist of the call was they had no idea what the issues were, wanted to replace glass roof because of a crack, told me they were very busy, and my service advisor had moved to another department. My repairs are minor, glue substance on roof, see pics, stain on seats, and scuffed up tailgate. I cannot find anyone at Tesla to take ownership. I asked the day I took delivery to return the car and refuse delivery, but I am flat out being ignored. Who at Tesla can I find to help me get this resolved?

Attachments

• DFE86E5D-5198-4CA4-A46E-2FDC495E8B4F.jpeg
    DFE86E5D-5198-4CA4-A46E-2FDC495E8B4F.jpeg
    561.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 3167629C-FF9B-40DC-AE8F-EE9025391456.jpeg
    3167629C-FF9B-40DC-AE8F-EE9025391456.jpeg
    677.9 KB · Views: 48
  • DC7B42B6-B5D8-4AC4-AB7D-7F6FEEB07ED3.jpeg
    DC7B42B6-B5D8-4AC4-AB7D-7F6FEEB07ED3.jpeg
    360.3 KB · Views: 64
If you documented the issues when you took delivery of the Model Y then keep on them. The only issue of concern is the crack in the roof. Is Tesla service willing to replace the cracked roof under the warranty or is their evidence of an impact, i.e. from a rock or debris that impacted the roof and caused the roof to crack? Can't judge the tailgate scuff since you didn't provide any photo. The other items you posted with photos seem like they would be easy to correct.

Have you tried each of the recommended cleaning method for the seat stains? A) A microfiber cloth damp with plain water and then buff dry with a second clean, dry microfiber cloth. B) Unscented baby wipes. C) Only if A or B do not remove the stain; apply some 70% Isopropyl Alcohol (do not use Rubbing Alcohol as it contains a skin lubricant) on a clean cloth to the area with the stain. Buff dry with a second clean, dry cloth. (Note: other cleaning products can damage the seat covers, especially Ethanol (Ethyl) alcohol (commonly found in hand sanitizer.) Do not attempt to use a leather cleaner as the seat covers are not made of leather, are a man-made polyurethane fabric product trademarked as UltraLeather (but it is not real leather.)

Last edited: