Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Demo Purchase Experiences

z335is

Feb 7, 2019
Newark
Hey everyone - I currently have an MYP on order, but I doubt I'll be able to hold on through the 8-12 week delivery timeframe. That said, my SA located an identical build that is a demo with 103 miles on it. As someone with car OCD, would I be making a mistake pulling the trigger on this, or are these low mileage demos generally in like new condition?

Mrbrock

Mar 26, 2020
Napa, CA
They should be. New cars are less than 50 miles. That one has 100. What kind of discount are they offering? If it’s more than $100 then there might be an issue or two but likely there’s nothing wrong with it. Demos have to look good or people won’t buy one.

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
Well, it is Performance Model Y so it was probably driven hard by everyone who took this Tesla out for a test drive. That said, I doubt the back seats have ever been used. If there was anything mechanically wrong it would have turned up during the test drives. It's not like an ICE vehicle where you can wear out the clutch, over rev the engine or damage the transmission. I doubt the tires have worn significantly in only 100 miles. The Tesla new vehicle warranty would apply if anything is broken or breaks. I would at least look over this vehicle. I have been faced with buying a non-Tesla demonstrator vehicle with 300 miles or waiting many weeks for the new model year vehicles to arrive. I purchased the demonstrator and never had any issue with the vehicle.

Since the Tesla is a Performance Model Y, does it have the new projector beam headlights? I'll assume this vehicle has the new center console, heated steering wheel.

Last edited:

Mrbrock

Mar 26, 2020
Napa, CA
Hard for 100 miles is nothing. How much will you drive in the next 8-12 weeks and how much fuel savings does that represent? How eager are you to drive a Tesla where every day you aren’t is going to affect your happiness?

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC