Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Demo vehicle pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As long as the car has never been titled before and sold as NEW it qualifies for the Federal Rebate.
You want to make sure Telsa is crystal clear that the demo car you may be interested has never been titled before. If it was ever titled they should be selling it as Used not New.

Appears that's a no - maybe I should have googled that before asking....
Where do you see that?
I'm in Texas and clearly it shows as New even though it is a demo vehicle..See my MVPA.
upload_2019-10-16_10-49-9.png

Well, I asked for a price adjustment... adjustment. I was told it's all done by an algorithm and they can't change the adjustment. The SA also mentioned the price adjustment is $0.20 / mile for vehicles with less than 1000 miles, then closer to $1 / mile above that.

• Informative
Reactions: Daniel_6
Well, I asked for a price adjustment... adjustment. I was told it's all done by an algorithm and they can't change the adjustment. The SA also mentioned the price adjustment is $0.20 / mile for vehicles with less than 1000 miles, then closer to $1 / mile above that.

Think that is true, at the SA level they have almost no authority to make changes.
I don't think used Telsa's are priced appropriately but Telsa is not going to change the way they price them cause of my opinion.

I believe they are much more interested in selling a new Telsa than a used one.

I had a LR RWD demo reserved with a $2k discount and 800 miles. I found out the night before delivery it had been in an accident, repaired, and then listed for sale. I chose not to take it. With all that, it was still considered "New" since it had never been titled...

I think vehicles are called “used” when they have a previous title - like returns. It’s more technical than anything else. The problem is that “used” does not get the $1750 tax credit. Tesla needs to make the price accommodate this.

"new" vs "used" is not a tesla thing, its a government thing. "new" means not titled to an end user consumer. "used" is titled to an end user consumer. Number of miles doesnt matter (up to a point... I believe 5,000 but dont remember exact number of miles).

So, its entirely possible to have a "NEW" car with 3500 miles, and a "used" car with 20 miles. The only thing we know if a car is listed as "USED" is that it was sold to someone, and titled. If its "new" we know it was not sold to an end user and titled.

So, a very low mileage "used" car, by definition, was sold to someone, and then taken back for some reason. Plenty of reasons that could be. Given that tesla allows 7 day returns (unlike most car dealers), the most "likely" reason for a low mileage used car is a 7 day return, but it doesnt have to be.

Also, on a side note, the "angst" in this thread over ordered cars has been going on since I joined this site in december of last year. At the beginning of every quarter, we see various posts about people getting upset about lead times. Tesla is "different". The car is great, but if one wants a fully predictable experience, this may not be the correct car to order.

Contrast with factory order BMWs that I have done over the years, where you can follow the car through the factory, find out its EXACT process in the factory on any given day, follow what ship its on coming here, etc.

Tesla makes good cars, but they are not for everyone. Tesla's process is also not for everyone. I bought my car last year. I decided to buy it at the end of november (the day before thanksgiving). it was in my possession 12/04. Had I ordered a month earlier, I still likely would not have gotten it till 12/04.

You are either going to need to realize that you are going to have to move to the beat of the drum that tesla has during this process, or move to another brand / car. You are not going to make tesla conform to what you think they should do. Thats why @OCR1 said "this might not be the right car for you". When I see people getting up in arms at the beginning of the process, I know that they are likely just in for a world of frustration.

Tesla isnt that kind of company.. yet. Maybe they will get there, maybe they wont. What they are right now, is a company trying very hard to scale up to the size of other car companies that have decades of experience. They are also a company that has FORCED other car manufacturers to do more than pay lip service to EVs. I dont care much about "teslas mission". I care that the car they made is an awesome mix of performance, and comfort, with a much cheaper operating cost than other cars with similar performance.

I am willing to put up with "Tesla" to drive the car. In person, my Service Center experiences have been fine, no different than my BMW experiences.

Tesla does a bunch of frustrating things from the corporate customer service perspective. you will either need to decide to deal with them, or be angry about them and frustrated, or move on to another brand.

When we got our demo Performance Model 3 with 1200 miles on it we got $8K off the msrp price. Plus we also got the $3750 tax credit. But this was back in March-April. Times could be different now since the European market is demanding for these cars as well.

Damn where are such deals when I'm wanting to buy a Tesla be it 3 or S or X.
Curious to know on how you got the 11K off on a Model S.
Is it something the SA reduced the price or the system set a 11K off on the original pricing?
Was it the last of Model S left on the floor before the went to Raven build?
is the discount includes such as (paint add ons, wheel add ons, interior add ons so on and so forth from the base config) or is it a straight up 11K off from the MSRP

Yes option two. I bought it a week before the raven went for sale... at the time there were LOTS of Standard and Long range models and I think that explains most the the discount - based on the distance from the showroom to my house it could not have had more than 4 or 5 miles on it at the Tesla Dealership. I also got free unlimited supercharging for as long as I am the owner, and of course the $3750 tax credit was still in effect when I took delivery.

As for options you have take what is available and I wanted FSD so that limited me to just one Long Range MS in Dallas if I wanted immediate delivery - which I needed. It is Pearle white - an upgrade at the time - cold climate package - FSD. They took the total price of the car (as it was on their web build site) and subtracted $11,000. That put it at the price point I needed to hit. Still a several thousand cheaper that a new raven even today, if you count the tax credit.

Being so close to the raven switch-over I notice that it has the titanium underbody and some other newer characteristics...

My sales guy told me they would sell me a used/demo for a discount that equated to about 40 to 50 cents per mile. We both thought that was funny. Too bad is wasn't a joke. I even asked what the MD mileage limit was to convert a new car to a 'used' car because I thought there was such a law. He didn't know and I didn't push it because I ordered.

Long story - but I must have delivery by 12/20 or so or I will have to cancel and reorder again! That means April 2020. To avoid that, do you think it's possible to do a second order of a Model 3 in a different color to increase possibility of getting a car? I currently have a red LR AWD Black interior, 18" on order - and I could do another of White (the rest being the same).

I'd just take first delivery and cancel second when I take first. I don't like putting $2500 upfront to help this, but I can think of no other way.

Or will Tesla see I have two orders and just put me on slow train delivery? I am in the SF Bay area.

I would take a look at inventory. There are some out there. I configured mines, realized there was a 6-10 week wait, checked inventory. Found on in NJ with the same configuration. Called my local service center and they assigned it to me. Shipped for free. Ordered last Friday. Delivery this Saturday.

Just another data point.

I am buying a 2020 AWD/red/white/19 in inventory from Plano. I am in Houston. It has 235 miles on it, and they are discounting it $1050, which is $4.47/mile.

The MVPA shows "New"

I hope it looks good when I go to pick it up because it will be a pain flying back without a car.

Reactions: George75
I had a LR RWD demo reserved with a $2k discount and 800 miles. I found out the night before delivery it had been in an accident, repaired, and then listed for sale. I chose not to take it. With all that, it was still considered "New" since it had never been titled...

out of curiosity, how did you find out it was in an accident? I'm picking up a 2 yr old demo this week, with about 900 miles on it, maybe I should check the carfax on the VIN. . .