Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Demo vehicles, do they have updated features

1plavs

3/29, VIN 188***, LR, White, Inductions, black int
Mar 29, 2021
MKE
My agent is trying to lore me into a demo vehicle that does not have a curb rash. Originally I wanted to wait to order one from the factory but as long as it has the double pane glass, Matte console and heated steering wheel along with the updated steering wheel buttons, etc. I may be interested, but from what I can see the past month or so on Tesla’s website they are not discounting demo vehicles more than $1,000 so I’m not sure that is worth it to me. Furthermore if it doesn’t have the updated features I would not be interested at all.

shingles

Feb 23, 2021
Texas, USA
They are pushing number for quarter end. If it isn't the car you want, then don't take it. Their demo/used car pricing makes buying and waiting for a new car much more attractive.

1plavs

Mar 29, 2021
MKE
They are pushing number for quarter end. If it isn't the car you want, then don't take it. Their demo/used car pricing makes buying and waiting for a new car much more attractive.
I just have to find out if it has newer features which I doubt.

CapeOne

Jun 14, 2016
New England
I may be interested, but from what I can see the past month or so on Tesla’s website they are not discounting demo vehicles more than $1,000 so I’m not sure that is worth it to me.

They are discounting MYs by more than $1k e.g., below is a new 2021 MY Performance demo discounted $4k.

Samyul

Feb 18, 2021
Irvine, CA
My agent is trying to lore me into a demo vehicle that does not have a curb rash. Originally I wanted to wait to order one from the factory but as long as it has the double pane glass, Matte console and heated steering wheel along with the updated steering wheel buttons, etc. I may be interested, but from what I can see the past month or so on Tesla’s website they are not discounting demo vehicles more than $1,000 so I’m not sure that is worth it to me. Furthermore if it doesn’t have the updated features I would not be interested at all.
I personally don't think it's worth it for me to save $1,000 to get a demo vehicle. To put it another way, would I accept $1,000 to have my vehicle driven by a bunch of strangers for several weeks? No, I would not. But that's just my personality. When I buy things at a store, I never pick the item in front. I try to grab one towards the middle that, hopefully, wasn't touched by too many people.

Reactions: srlawren and 1plavs

1plavs

Mar 29, 2021
MKE
I personally don't think it's worth it for me to save $1,000 to get a demo vehicle. To put it another way, would I accept $1,000 to have my vehicle driven by a bunch of strangers for several weeks? No, I would not. But that's just my personality. When I buy things at a store, I never pick the item in front. I try to grab one towards the middle that, hopefully, wasn't touched by too many people.
True, but I am also reading demo vehicles have much better build quality than a random one from the factory.

1plavs

Mar 29, 2021
MKE
Like I said, I think this is just based on personal preference. There's no right or wrong answer. For you, it might make sense. For others, it may not.
Every vehicle has a hit or miss. Tesla’s a bit more. Lol

blinkme323

Feb 4, 2019
Philly
I thought about a demo too before ordering a new one. I just don't think there is enough of a discount/incentive to warrant getting a car that was probably railed on by many other people.

1plavs

Mar 29, 2021
MKE
I thought about a demo too before ordering a new one. I just don't think there is enough of a discount/incentive to warrant getting a car that was probably railed on by many other people.
That’s my concern. Depends on mileage too.

Mrbrock

Mar 26, 2020
Napa, CA
I own a former demo. Love it. Even further discounted because one wheel had rash. You will not see bad panel gaps on a demo. Can you imagine trying to sell a car based on a demo that had issues?

As far as whether it has the features you want, you need a build after 2/7. Ask your SA for the born on date. Not the build date, you want month/day/year. This will tell you what features it has.

• Informative
Reactions: BitJam and JHCCAZ

cancoi

#teamblue
Jun 7, 2021
OH
I own a former demo. Love it. Even further discounted because one wheel had rash. You will not see bad panel gaps on a demo. Can you imagine trying to sell a car based on a demo that had issues?

As far as whether it has the features you want, you need a build after 2/7. Ask your SA for the born on date. Not the build date, you want month/day/year. This will tell you what features it has.
Were you able to discuss further reduction in price given the rash?

Marcust99

Apr 17, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
For me, I'd never buy a demo, unless it's a REALLY good deal. A lousy couple of hundred off isn't enough to
erase from my mind thinking that the car I just bought had the literal crap kicked out of it before I bought it.

Mrbrock

Mar 26, 2020
Napa, CA
Pre covid there wasn’t much kicking the crap out of test drive cars. You still had a salesperson on board. And if anything it is broken in so you will have less issues than you expect. Anything that pops up in the first 1000 miles is noticed by salespeople and test drivers so they get fixed right away.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC