Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Demo vehicles, do they have updated features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

1plavs

‘22 MYP, White/Black
Mar 29, 2021
MKE
My agent is trying to lore me into a demo vehicle that does not have a curb rash. Originally I wanted to wait to order one from the factory but as long as it has the double pane glass, Matte console and heated steering wheel along with the updated steering wheel buttons, etc. I may be interested, but from what I can see the past month or so on Tesla’s website they are not discounting demo vehicles more than $1,000 so I’m not sure that is worth it to me. Furthermore if it doesn’t have the updated features I would not be interested at all.

I may be interested, but from what I can see the past month or so on Tesla’s website they are not discounting demo vehicles more than $1,000 so I’m not sure that is worth it to me.

They are discounting MYs by more than $1k e.g., below is a new 2021 MY Performance demo discounted $4k.

My agent is trying to lore me into a demo vehicle that does not have a curb rash. Originally I wanted to wait to order one from the factory but as long as it has the double pane glass, Matte console and heated steering wheel along with the updated steering wheel buttons, etc. I may be interested, but from what I can see the past month or so on Tesla’s website they are not discounting demo vehicles more than $1,000 so I’m not sure that is worth it to me. Furthermore if it doesn’t have the updated features I would not be interested at all.
I personally don't think it's worth it for me to save $1,000 to get a demo vehicle. To put it another way, would I accept $1,000 to have my vehicle driven by a bunch of strangers for several weeks? No, I would not. But that's just my personality. When I buy things at a store, I never pick the item in front. I try to grab one towards the middle that, hopefully, wasn't touched by too many people.

I personally don't think it's worth it for me to save $1,000 to get a demo vehicle. To put it another way, would I accept $1,000 to have my vehicle driven by a bunch of strangers for several weeks? No, I would not. But that's just my personality. When I buy things at a store, I never pick the item in front. I try to grab one towards the middle that, hopefully, wasn't touched by too many people.
True, but I am also reading demo vehicles have much better build quality than a random one from the factory.

I own a former demo. Love it. Even further discounted because one wheel had rash. You will not see bad panel gaps on a demo. Can you imagine trying to sell a car based on a demo that had issues?

As far as whether it has the features you want, you need a build after 2/7. Ask your SA for the born on date. Not the build date, you want month/day/year. This will tell you what features it has.

• Informative
Reactions: BitJam and JHCCAZ
I own a former demo. Love it. Even further discounted because one wheel had rash. You will not see bad panel gaps on a demo. Can you imagine trying to sell a car based on a demo that had issues?

As far as whether it has the features you want, you need a build after 2/7. Ask your SA for the born on date. Not the build date, you want month/day/year. This will tell you what features it has.
Were you able to discuss further reduction in price given the rash?

Pre covid there wasn’t much kicking the crap out of test drive cars. You still had a salesperson on board. And if anything it is broken in so you will have less issues than you expect. Anything that pops up in the first 1000 miles is noticed by salespeople and test drivers so they get fixed right away.