Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Denied eMMC replacement - what to do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So got my official recall notice that parts are available, and I should proceed with scheduling my eMMC replacement for MCU1. So, do so, drop it off... At the end of the day, service notes say to the effect "does not need replacement at this time... check back later to see if eMMC has reached wearable capacity for replacement". Replacement denied.

Proceed with several minutes of profanity.

So... should I just tell the NHTSA "that Tesla has failed or is unable to remedy this defect without charge or within a reasonable time" ? I mean, I still have a mostly-functional MCU- but the telltale signs often noted (streaming fails/locks up, browser works about 3% of the time, reboots for no real reason, etc) and a few not often noted (screen turns to garbage text) so I can live a little longer if the parts need to go to those whose MCU1's are on fire or something... but they didn't say that, they seem to have plenty as of late. They just decided it wasn't needed.

:mad:
what you do is get in your car get cell phone camera ready drive the car and push the 2 scroll wheels on the steering wheel down simultaneously until the screen goes black now start taking video pictures of you driving the car and the MCU went black. You panic didn't know what to do you felt your life was in danger. notify the stupid I mean service attach the video/pics describe the MCU failing as you were driving. The service center will respond back 1-2 days later saying the part is on order and it will be 4 weeks from now we scheduled you appointment for........they will give you a date. The service center I first delt with messed with the wrong customer. They think they are playing games, I am the game master. these kids are playing in the sandbox.The Regional Service Manager does not have any automotive knowledge whatsoever doesn't know a MCU from a ICD. l looked at his background on LinkedIn all past management positions at amazone, target and tillys. How in this world we live in can somebody be a regional Service Center Manager for the biggest automotive manufacturer in the world and not know a thing about cars besides the fact they have four tires! Seriously I finally got his email and then eventually his # talked to him a few times started asking about how to purchase parts he said they dont like to sell parts to call the SC they don't have no # to call. it's a game they started that they lost before they started. life is like a bowl of cherries inside TESLA's. ready set.....anybody want to join in? it's Free Free Free I just love that word Free it sounds and feels so amazing no matter how you say it. FREE FREE FREE Michael Puma

Reactions: Russell
If your car is a 2014, it is AP1 and should be $1500 for the MCU2 upgrade (including new screens; old ones are not compatible with MCU2). Tack on $500 for FM. I don't know how $2500 came into the picture. This is from Tesla's page (tesla.com/support/infotainment):
it's the other way around if equipped with ap1 or higher its $2000 +$500 for fm no ap1or higher its $1500 +$500 for fm if u want it. all prices are before sales tax

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
it's the other way around if equipped with ap1 or higher its $2000 +$500 for fm no ap1or higher its $1500 +$500 for fm if u want it. all prices are before sales tax
Most of your posts are difficult to read, including this one, but that does not appear to be a true statement. My AP1 car cost $1500 (no FM) in February. AP2 and 2.5 cars are $2k, all others are $1500. See Tesla's site.

Reactions: MP3Mike and WhiteWi
Most of your posts are difficult to read, including this one, but that does not appear to be a true statement. My AP1 car cost $1500 (no FM) in February. AP2 and 2.5 cars are $2k, all others are $1500. See Tesla's site.
your correct my MS doesn't have any AP so I didn't pay close enough attention beyond that it was going to be $1500.00 for my upgrade +$500 for fm only no am?? Tesla suppose to be high tech im not a fan of AM radio at all but really it was one of the first live broadcasted form of communications. very strange

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi
The Model S doesn't have a telegraph or HAM radio either. I don't know what they were thinking!
I finally got the upgrade with the FM radio ( they good willed the $500) I really only listen to 2 local stations the FM radio can't even keep the signal when I go to certain areas around where I live. So I still have a balance with SC I'm going to take out the fm turner myself bring it back say it sucks which it does $500 part made in Mexico cost tesla probably less than $20 and give me $500 credit towards my balance. I wonder what they are going to say? like I said in the beginning with the recall that they didn't want to do, it just snowballed from there with a lie turned into a story to cover their lie, now here we are, I don't know how to play chess I think there is a term checkmate or what ever game they want to play they will loose be they even start. have a beautiful day and all the ones to follow...I know I am.

• Disagree
yea scamming the scammers sounds like fun. really tesla going to have a rude awakening when all these millions of cars start to get old and end up in salvage yards with the parts available free of picking. im a diy person reparing my previous cars myself never paid for dealer service. So you can go to tesla service and pay them their ridiculous prices for labor and "their Parts" all you want I think they are scamming/ ripping you off just my opinion. I dont know how old you are but it sounds like you are still playing in the sandbox along with the costa mesa service center employees. like I said in the very beginning when this happened to me maybe I'm the only person it happened to idk but I said I have nothing to loose.
Have had the FM tuner going on 3 months now. No issues. So far, I don’t feel “scammed”. My car now actually has many more features than when i purchased new. Sorry you have had such bad luck.

Reactions: IanMcL and brkaus
Have had the FM tuner going on 3 months now. No issues. So far, I don’t feel “scammed”. My car now actually has many more features than when i purchased new. Sorry you have had such bad luck.
the FM part not the problem it's what led up to all this in the first place which showed me there is something not right at that SC that I still can't figure out on top of everything they did to me morally wrong put me down literally kick me to the curb in front of their SC no waiting room cut my uber voucher off on my way home from leaving my car there. I find out service managers name who did that to me(he did not want to give his last name because he feared the internet) I see why as soon as I found out his whole name I googled it and wow it lit up the whole page, that was just one employee out of 5 that tried to cover themselves from a lie that turned into a fictional story and still on going. that's a short version of what I'm going through. I'm 56 all these service managers Regional even are half my age with no automotive background. I'm sure the owner of the company would like to know what's going on with just that SC I would if I was the owner of any company and there's something not right going on and disrespecting a customer(s)

• Disagree
I agree that $1,500 to upgrade to a new MCU2 and LTE cellular is a fair price...it's about the price of your entry level "pro" laptop. However, this is where Tesla has evolved to over time. It was just months ago where the upgrade was $2,500 and no free offer to replace the failing eMMC chips. Furthermore, the denial of coverage and/or reimbursement that others are facing in not acceptable and drains the goodwill that Tesla Service has built in the past. My local Tesla Service experience was so bad that I did some digging and found out that Tesla has some shady service managers in their ranks. I won't name names here, but Tesla Studio sales people wanted to know all about because it is increasingly harder for the Studio to sell more vehicles when the Service Center is creating nightmare scenarios for their customers.
yes the same thing happened to me at the Costa mesa ca. SC they are shady managers something is going on that I'm still trying to figure it out. they went way to far with me literally put me down called me a lier I finally got the regional Service managers email after 5 previous employees were sticking up for each other. well I come to find out that the regional Service manager stuck up for all of those 5 employees I checked his background on LinkedIn has no automotive experience. the one employee Farzin Morena who did not want to give me his last name only Farzi M because he said he didn't wanrt his name on the internet and asked me would you want your name on the internet? I said Yes please make sure my name is all over the internet. I find out its Farzin Morena he didn't even tell me his complete first name well that was the biggest mistake. I googled his name wow the first page is all about him scamming people football players for a $1,000,000 he tried to sue BofA for being racist he lost thats just one small part of my dealings its still on going. please get ahold of me I'm not letting them do what they are trying to do. next week im going up north real close to Palo alto I have all the emails texts from that app off theirs pages and pages they are done its just a matter of time. I'm Michael Puma. p.s. I know if I owned a company (I have in the past) I would want to know the misconduct going on between my employees and the way they treated me at least the customer.

• Funny
I had ZERO problems with my old chip or board. ZERO. They replaced the daughter board. I had nothing but software problems since. Worse is, when driving around 100 mph, I left peddle, nothing happens, then all hell breaks lose. Won't slow down, every warning light comes on. Help desk saw it and still can't figure it out. Big is black half the time. I'm very upset to say the least.

• Disagree
I had ZERO problems with my old chip or board. ZERO. They replaced the daughter board. I had nothing but software problems since. Worse is, when driving around 100 mph, I left peddle, nothing happens, then all hell breaks lose. Won't slow down, every warning light comes on. Help desk saw it and still can't figure it out. Big is black half the time. I'm very upset to say the least.
I would go straight to your SC on Monday morning no oppointment Tell them the problems get uber voucher tell them to message you through that great tesla app when they find out in detail what the **** is going on with your car

• Funny
I wish I could understand what you wrote but I didn’t.

yes the same thing happened to me at the Costa mesa ca. SC they are shady managers something is going on that I'm still trying to figure it out. they went way to far with me literally put me down called me a lier I finally got the regional Service managers email after 5 previous employees were sticking up for each other. well I come to find out that the regional Service manager stuck up for all of those 5 employees I checked his background on LinkedIn has no automotive experience. the one employee Farzin Morena who did not want to give me his last name only Farzi M because he said he didn't wanrt his name on the internet and asked me would you want your name on the internet? I said Yes please make sure my name is all over the internet. I find out its Farzin Morena he didn't even tell me his complete first name well that was the biggest mistake. I googled his name wow the first page is all about him scamming people football players for a $1,000,000 he tried to sue BofA for being racist he lost thats just one small part of my dealings its still on going. please get ahold of me I'm not letting them do what they are trying to do. next week im going up north real close to Palo alto I have all the emails texts from that app off theirs pages and pages they are done its just a matter of time. I'm Michael Puma. p.s. I know if I owned a company (I have in the past) I would want to know the misconduct going on between my employees and the way they treated me at least the customer.
So I wanted to try and be as general as possible with my original reply to not disparage anyone, but now that you've posted what you did I will just say that you are correct. According to other Tesla representatives, there are a lot of complaints about Morena and at the request of the Sales Studio my wife gave them his name for a formal internal complaint. I'm not sure if anything will be done, but the Sales Studio reps said it is difficult to sell 2nd and 3rd Tesla's to repeat customers when the Service Center is leaving owners with horrible experiences. Morena tried to convince us that our MCU screen must have been broken before we dropped the car off and that is was impossible for it to have bubbled while they replaced the eMMC. Then he said it's a normal wear item for a car with 90K miles. Then he said that it's a $2K part, they don't stock it, and expensive parts like these would mean that he'd have to fire one of his hardworking guys. After 20 minutes of nonsense, a tech came by with the intake photos when they received the car showing that the screen did not have a bubble when I dropped it off. He completely changed his tune and told me they'd have it fixed in less than an hour.

Coincidentally my wife is an employment attorney and Tesla happens to be one of her clients; we joked that she might see Farzin again in a future deposition. BTW, we were advised by other Tesla Reps to use the Santa Ana Service Center and that an Irvine location should be available soon. It's a shame because other than Morena, I've had great experiences with the other Reps who are forthcoming and don't make ridiculous superlative lies.

So I wanted to try and be as general as possible with my original reply to not disparage anyone, but now that you've posted what you did I will just say that you are correct. According to other Tesla representatives, there are a lot of complaints about Morena and at the request of the Sales Studio my wife gave them his name for a formal internal complaint. I'm not sure if anything will be done, but the Sales Studio reps said it is difficult to sell 2nd and 3rd Tesla's to repeat customers when the Service Center is leaving owners with horrible experiences. Morena tried to convince us that our MCU screen must have been broken before we dropped the car off and that is was impossible for it to have bubbled while they replaced the eMMC. Then he said it's a normal wear item for a car with 90K miles. Then he said that it's a $2K part, they don't stock it, and expensive parts like these would mean that he'd have to fire one of his hardworking guys. After 20 minutes of nonsense, a tech came by with the intake photos when they received the car showing that the screen did not have a bubble when I dropped it off. He completely changed his tune and told me they'd have it fixed in less than an hour.

Coincidentally my wife is an employment attorney and Tesla happens to be one of her clients; we joked that she might see Farzin again in a future deposition. BTW, we were advised by other Tesla Reps to use the Santa Ana Service Center and that an Irvine location should be available soon. It's a shame because other than Morena, I've had great experiences with the other Reps who are forthcoming and don't make ridiculous superlative lies.

wow I'm in shock but I'm not shocked.1st and foremost The Irvine service center is open and I want to live in it. I can't put into words the elegance, beauty floor to ceiling windows drive into it employees greet you with happiness you see the entire shop sparkling clean with teslas being worked on. the highest of class possible they even have a nice big lounge with coffee and a tv while you wait for uber. I went there because there was no way the cm SC was going to touch my car. the Costa mesa was like a concentration camp. This is almost unbelievable that I'm writing you back about Farzin and your wife is a attorney. Farzin Farzi M the first time I met him at this point he was employee #4 I talked to. It's a real long story bottom line they started a lie made it into a story it just got worse for them, I brought my car there on the appointment date had already been going back and forth with 3 previous employees Chris Jesus and a woman named Carmel who argued with me over the phone saying Chris told me about the upgrade when I was there a week earlier for emmc recall (that's a story alone where they can make $ on those recalls) I know we will talk on the phone. I asked Farzi what his last name was he said M I asked just M? he said yes I asked what was Carmel last name he said R I asked why not give your whole last name he said because of the internet (I knew he just started to seal his own coffin) I asked what do you mean he said would you like your name on the internet I almost yelled yes please make sure my name is all over the internet Michael Puma. I was waiting for my uber at that time my phone battery was low he insisted I sign the estimate that I couldn't even see on my phone uber came and left called another one Farzin insisting still to sign saying he's going to charge storage fees finnaly got in the uber going home get a message saying my voucher was revoked they charged my card..that's just a small fraction of what happened. I looked up his name saw a lot Farzin Morena vs Bank of America im thinking wow somebody sued BofA nevermind that it's Farzin just never saw a person sue a bank before its usually the other way around for defaults what have you, so I look into that all the court transcripts are right there free to look at so I take my first study of law read the transcripts Farzin and his wife were trying to say BofA stopped there line of credit without no reason and thought they were Muslim the complaint was a few pages long Farzin was trying to sue for $100,000 credit limit he had on the card now how stupid can somebody be Farzin to think they can sue a bank for a line of credit? I mean come on. BofA answered the complaint one page simply saying Mr Morena has no ground to base his complaint we can stop anybodys line of credit at any time we feel like for no reason. Thank you for being a former BofA customer you idiot. anyways he's being sued right now in orange county for breach of contract It's for that 40 yards of gold he was the funder for that he owes a famous football player $1,000,000.00 I got farzins phone number called him up he wasn't to happy he reimbursed my name though. that's all that matters. the internet is a wonderful piece of technology when somebody said they were afraid of it that was the wrong reply. My name is Michael Puma 760-699-4457 you can take this as you like but this was ment to happen to us. Elon Musk is a thing that appears every 500 years or so the last one was is Norstradomis. I have a lot more to share with you probably need some advice. Alot more to tell you. feel free to call at your convenience. Michael

• Disagree
I was rereading the past posts this is what's going to happen since tesla does not have a PR department. so whats even better are own PR dept. I know that there is something still not quite right going on at cm. and the regional manager tried to make up for those employees but no you just can't reprogram humans or erase what happened to me and now find out you just so happened to be a victim at the same SC almost the same problem delt with Morena tried to blame you, It's not morally right and from a business's position not good I don't care what kind of business it is if your dealing with the public and they are your main sorce of revenue I think I would make sure to have good customer relations. there are no phone #s to call anybody in the whole corporation it took so long to get the reginal managers email add. and to reply back.
I'm 56 all these kids (service writers managers) yes kids looked at their LinkedIn profile no automotive background whatsoever. I know if I owned a business (I have) I would want to know what is going on. I can tell you the future as in this coming week im going up north again not for a funeral but wow for quite the opposite life is amazing how everything changed this year May 2 2021 after 9 years of dreaming got a MS and now 3 months into this I can't say but it's waiting for me and I'll probably be going to corporate palo alto to talk to whoever is the head Manger of the whole service division to let him/her? that would be interesting in itself, I have issues, solutions and best of all making a profit from what is a mandatory recall
This is the 2020's Elon musk is running amuk he needs to slow down get off those rockets come back down to earth your Model S flagship needs your attention

Moderator note: Moved about a dozen posts to Snippiness. Please note that personal attacks on other forum members are a violation of TMC rules. Several other posts came along as collateral damage.

Bruce.

(moderator note)

Additionally, please note that TMC does not support the same user having multiple accounts. This is called a "sockpuppet" account, and is not something that is allowed here on TMC.