Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Denied Tire Warranty due to uneven wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Note the excessive rear camber which are in spec for Tesla rear wheel drive cars.... this will eat the inner side of your rear tires.

Here are the modified setting I used and have had awesome results..

Total Front Toe 0.4
Total Rear Toe 0.18
Rear Camber -1.00

After much playing with toe settings I've determined my 2013 P85+ does not like any front wheel toe-out at all. I've settled on using a front toe-in of 0.1-0.2 and really like the way it handles, and the tire wear has been great. I also installed longer upper rear links to reduce the excessive 2.5 degrees of negative camber and reduced rear toe-in to 0.1 - 0.15. These changes eliminated the rapid and extreme wear on the inside of the rear tires. Along with having normal tire wear another couple of benefits from making these changes was in how much quieter the ride became and how much my Wh/mi were reduced! It's still a P85+ to drive but a completely different car to travel long distances. I think I was spending more for tires than I would have paid for gasoline!

After much playing with toe settings I've determined my 2013 P85+ does not like any front wheel toe-out at all. I've settled on using a front toe-in of 0.1-0.2 and really like the way it handles, and the tire wear has been great. I also installed longer upper rear links to reduce the excessive 2.5 degrees of negative camber and reduced rear toe-in to 0.1 - 0.15. These changes eliminated the rapid and extreme wear on the inside of the rear tires. Along with having normal tire wear another couple of benefits from making these changes was in how much quieter the ride became and how much my Wh/mi were reduced! It's still a P85+ to drive but a completely different car to travel long distances. I think I was spending more for tires than I would have paid for gasoline!

Did you get adjustable rear camber links from BBC? If not where did you get yours? I've noticed some people have gotten theirs from other outlets so I'm investigating my options.

This is BS. If the alignment is correct, there won't be any. It's very important that there is no toe-out on the rear tires, or inside wear will happen.

1. There is nothing mysterious about Tesla alignment. Take it someplace else--preferably someplace that either does race cars or frame alignment. A proper alignment should cost about $250. A $79 alignment is basically a waste of $79.

2. When you get new tires, do the first rotation around 1500 miles. The first early rotation can make a large difference in preventing uneven wear later in the tire's life (mainly applicable to RWD Teslas). It's actually the most important rotation.

3. Only a few miles at 35 psi can reduce tire life dramatically--that's over 20% reduction from the vehicle placard pressure. Check with a quality pressure gauge. I'd suggest paying the money to get the new style pressure sensors that will show the psi on the display. Whether they are totally accurate or not doesn't matter, you get to check every single day with little effort and you'll soon know the difference between their reading and the reading of your quality pressure gauge.
Mine are pretty accurate. If I set all tires to 45psi with a good pressure gauge it will show 45 on the display, or at least 44-46psi.
Obviously changes as they start warming while driving.

I had some scalloping on my tires earlier this year after going with a non-OEM tire. Developed a road humming noise as well. Discount Tire took them back and gave me a warranty credit. They didn't ask me for any proof of alignments or rotations.
A benefit of using a big corporation. They chalk it up to good will, and the cost is spread over so many branches it's like self-insurance.

Did you get adjustable rear camber links from BBC? If not where did you get yours? I've noticed some people have gotten theirs from other outlets so I'm investigating my options.

I bought a set of the links that Lolachamp designed that I found advertised here on TMC.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/upper-suspension-links-21.64045/#post-1937899.

The adjustable links would have been a good way to go but these have worked out great. I currently have over 6000 miles on the Michelin Pilot Super Sports with no noticeable wear. Before changing the links I struggled to get 8,000 miles.