Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dent in back panel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

It's my first time posting here. Unfortuntely, I just backed into a pillar in a tight underground parking yesterday, and scratched my back left bumper and dented my back left panel. The charging port opens fine and the car charges fine. The trunk opens and the back light works fine as well. However, I have a few questions:

1) Based on your understanding of the car, if I'm fine with the aesthetics of the dents and scratches, does it looks like it must be fixed? Or there will be some safety or long term issues if I don't fix it? For example, is it safe to go to gas station touchless car washes? Will there be any damage to the electrical components long term? Because if safety is fine and there are no long-term issues, I don't want to spend a lot of money to fix it after just one accident, in case I damage the same bumper and/or the panel sometime later again.
2) If the car only requires body work, do I have to fix it with Tesla approved body shops? I'm afraid they are very pricey.
3) If I go with non-Tesla approved body shops, does it void my car's warranty?
4) Can someone recommend some good body shops around North York area?

Thank you everyone!

Derek

Attachments

• PXL_20220803_004139045.jpg
    PXL_20220803_004139045.jpg
    434 KB · Views: 1,316
  • PXL_20220803_004339516.jpg
    PXL_20220803_004339516.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 314
My apologies. I thought this forum is a Canada forum (I just googled "Tesla forum Canada" to find this forum), but I guess it is actually a North America forum with members from everywhere. I know there are differences in servicing between Canada and US. But I hope my structural and safety question is still valid. Thank you.

Derek

I know you're from Canada so this may not apply, but in the US there is a rule of thumb regarding insurance: If the damage is your fault, such as this case, then get a good estimate and if it is more than $5000 let insurance cover it. If it is less than $5000 pay it yourself if you can afford to. The reason is that, if you have your insurance cover the damage, your premiums will go up by about $5000 over the course of the years that this accident is in their files. I've heard this from two different insurance agencies. Having said that, even though a Tesla authorized body shop MIGHT cost you more, they will only use new Tesla authorized parts.

Those things happen. I recall side-swiping a concrete post in a parking garage decades ago with a 3 day old Honda Civic Coupe SI. Crushed part of the front fender and scrapped the heck out of the bumper. Was a poor college grad starting a new business - but I got that fix to avoid rusting and the eye sore over time.

Regardless of the cost, you flip the bill or the insurance company - IMO I'd get it fixed. Presume most people who can afford to buy a Tesla, can afford to get it repaired. Your Tesla is a expensive car, and absolutely will knock you when you go to sell it - big time.

Also, hard to tell by the pics, but if the paint is cracked or broken around that dent - it will start to rust over time.

Electronic wise, are all the of the backup sensors working? Any warning lights on the console?

Reactions: Stevewaclo
Overall probably not something you have to have fixed. That said, that is what insurance is for. You do you, if you are willing to take the hit for not having it repaired, or not repaired properly when you sell the car (or the charges you'd get if you leased it when you turn it in...), then there probably is no reason. I'd have it repaired.

My apologies. I thought this forum is a Canada forum (I just googled "Tesla forum Canada" to find this forum), but I guess it is actually a North America forum with members from everywhere. I know there are differences in servicing between Canada and US. But I hope my structural and safety question is still valid. Thank you.

Derek

Welcome,

Tesla Motors Club (TMC) is a VERY large website, with multiple subforums. While you have posted in the "model 3" subforum, there is also a specific regional subforum for Canada (which may be why your google results came up the way they did).

This is a car specific question so I am going to leave it here in this subforum, but if you want to join in discussion with people in the Canada specific subforum, you can find it here:

As for your question, I dont have any specific feedback myself on whether there is a safety issue. I know there is no chance I would drive around like that for any long length of time, however, as that is what insurance is for. Things happen, but thats what insurance is for. "I might leave it like that because I might do it again" sounds really strange to me, because, well, everyone takes a chance every time they drive of getting in an accident.

That isnt any reason to drive around in a dented car, because "I might do it again" (which is what it appears you are saying).

Thats me, though, and Its your money and your car.

Way too big & creases for dentless repair. Plus, the back bumper need to be prepped and resprayed.
Doesn't hurt to ask a PDR tech. The OP seems to be fine with a partial fix as long as it doesn't look as bad, so might be OK if not every thing gets pulled out. The rear bumper is plastic, so even if left as is doesn't really affect much. The bigger problem is the rear quarter panel which is steel and can rust if the paint has been breached (although it may make PDR easier than if it is aluminum).

The only thing is it's impossible to answer OP's question if anything internally is damaged. That area is right near the charge port, and without taking off the panels in the trunk area and checking everything for damage, it's not really possible to say for sure.

Doesn't hurt to ask a PDR tech. The OP seems to be fine with a partial fix as long as it doesn't look as bad, so might be OK if not every thing gets pulled out.
I have seen them work some amazing work. This is actually on the website for a guy I know, and have used before. While not quite as bad as the OP, still probably a bigger job than most people would initial plan to take to PDR:

1659613358081.png

1659613384872.png