Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dent in hood, call insurance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
8E899A8D-22E5-41A2-BFF7-D2B5B82EFD52.jpeg
621C62CB-CD83-4A3B-9149-02052056BE05.jpeg
I was driving down a busy highway doing 80 when a good sized rock came randomly bouncing off the road and landed on top of my hood causing a dent and scratches down to the metal.

After reading all the stories about how expensive body work is for the car, Im not sure where to go with this.

I have Progressive insurance with full coverage and a comprehensive of $100 deductible. Im worried that if I make a claim, they will end up raising my rates since the repair will probably be expensive.

My other thought was to call a local "paintless" dent removal guy to come pull the dent out, then try to use a touch up paint, wet sand, and buff out the area to try and hide the scratches.

Could I get some advice on where to go with this? I dont want to spend thousands or make my insurance company mad. Right now it sticks out like a sore thumb which is the problem. I could live with a decent cover-up job if it means saving money in the long run, which is why Im leaning towards calling the dent guy.

Thoughts?

Looks like that dent can be pulled easily and scuffs buffed out for ~$100. The scuffs look like they're only in the clear coat and aren't deep at all.

side note: If they raise your premiums, just switch to another ins. co. - it's all part of the game.

Looks like that dent can be pulled easily and scuffs buffed out for ~$100. The scuffs look like they're only in the clear coat and aren't deep at all.

side note: If they raise your premiums, just switch to another ins. co. - it's all part of the game.
The Tesla SC already buffed out the scratches as best as they could. My fingernail falls into the remaining scratches. I’m thinking about trying to fill them with touch up paint, then wet sand and buff.

As far as switching insurance providers, the problem is they make a record of the # of claims made for all the other insurance companies to see. Its alot like a credit report in that respect...