Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dented rocker panel on curb—what now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ran over a curb today and messed up my rocker panel as well as curbing the rear driver side tire. Tesla body shop wants 13k and will take forever to get it replaced (dealing with insurance, wait for parts then 2-3 weeks in the shop). Could this just be painted over and live with the dent? Or should it be replaced? I’m a little worried about rust, living in the northeast.

Attachments

• BACAF342-C7B1-4BE9-B7E4-52A114BC37A2.jpeg
    BACAF342-C7B1-4BE9-B7E4-52A114BC37A2.jpeg
    329.9 KB · Views: 1,108
  • ED32B38A-1008-4BAD-9B8C-592C1EBD03AD.jpeg
    ED32B38A-1008-4BAD-9B8C-592C1EBD03AD.jpeg
    466.6 KB · Views: 1,564
If available in your area, get an estimate with a tesla body shop instead of an authorized tesla body shop (or both) It will make a huge difference. My 3 quotes form authorized shops, 14k, 11k, 9k to "replace" the quarter panel because of my damaged rocker. The tesla body shop was 3k to "repair" my rocker panel, and it was done perfectly.
Tesla body shops can repair damage
Authorized tesla body shops are only authorized by tesla to replace parts.
Good luck in your search.

Ran over a curb today and messed up my rocker panel as well as curbing the rear driver side tire. Tesla body shop wants 13k and will take forever to get it replaced (dealing with insurance, wait for parts then 2-3 weeks in the shop). Could this just be painted over and live with the dent? Or should it be replaced? I’m a little worried about rust, living in the northeast.
I had similar damage repaired at a local bodyshop, about $1300.
IMG_8365.jpeg

by default 2021-05-26 at 1.43.56 PM.jpg

In another thread, one person who damaged their rockers put on a side skirt, which was cheaper!
by default 2021-05-26 at 1.54.59 PM.jpg

Reactions: Rmchrger
Thanks for all the input. I’m going through the insurance, they have me taking it to a local body shop to see what they say. Got full estimate from Tesla Authorized and came back for 16k, sounds like robbery so hopefully there is a cheaper option. No Tesla body shops in New York as far as I am aware.

As long as it‘s safe to drive and won’t lead to complications later on I’m okay without a full replacement.

Thanks for all the input. I’m going through the insurance, they have me taking it to a local body shop to see what they say. Got full estimate from Tesla Authorized and came back for 16k, sounds like robbery so hopefully there is a cheaper option. No Tesla body shops in New York as far as I am aware.

As long as it‘s safe to drive and won’t lead to complications later on I’m okay without a full replacement.

Not sure how far upstate you are, but there is a Tesla Collision Center in Long Island City ... just sayin'.

In my case the cost was so excessively different between the quotes that I would of drivin to another state if I had to. Thankfully mine was only 50 miles away. Hopefully you can find one worth checking out. I didn't have any luck with my local shops, nobody would touch it. KenC's shop in Maine is a road trip idea. And Long Island...

In my case the cost was so excessively different between the quotes that I would of drivin to another state if I had to. Thankfully mine was only 50 miles away. Hopefully you can find one worth checking out. I didn't have any luck with my local shops, nobody would touch it. KenC's shop in Maine is a road trip idea. And Long Island...
Long Island could be viable, since I travel to NYC frequent enough. Biggest worry would be leaving car there for a while, which would be no better in Maine. Will weigh options after hearing from insurance and report back here for anyone finding this thread in the future.

Long Island could be viable, since I travel to NYC frequent enough. Biggest worry would be leaving car there for a while, which would be no better in Maine. Will weigh options after hearing from insurance and report back here for anyone finding this thread in the future.

To be clear it's Long Island City... which is in Queens. Just pointing that out.

Forgot I didn't post an "after" pic of the repair. Liberty Mutual picked the body shop. Took 3 days from drop-off to pickup. After a month, I re-PPF'd the rocker. The bodyshop would have done it, but they were going to do it as soon as they could get the PPF guy to come, which I didn't want to do so soon after the repaint.

The only real difference between the OP's damage and mine was the OP's is right on the seam of the rocker, while mine was ½ way down from the seam line.
IMG_8875 (1).jpeg

Reactions: neuralnet
Rocker is steel. Yellow could be paint from the curb. My extensive price quotes was due to the "authorized" shops replacing (key word replacing) the entire quarter panel. Huge amount of work and time to replace the quarter panel as the price shows. Mine was repaired not replaced. Just as KenC had his repaired. And my repair looks perfect. So does yours KenC.

Reactions: KenC

I has similar damage to one of my rocker panels. I received a $13k repair quote from a Tesla approved body shop, but it only cost a little over $2k at a Tesla Body Shop. I went with the Tesla shop, and they did a beautiful job. In my opinion, I'd get the car fixed - too nice a car to live with a dent.