Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Denver International Electric Parking - Teslas Stop Parking There!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a situational question. If I recall if the temperature drops below minus 20 celcious, does Tesla not require us to keep the car plugged in? If this is the case and I need to leave my car at the airport, then would it not be appropriate to use one of these stalls for my car to protect the battery?

I generally take a taxi to the airport during the winter to avoid this situation, but just wonder what proper procedure might be in this situation.

I do agree with the OP though, if there is no issue re temperature and you have sufficient charge (ie not plugged in) leave the spot for someone who needs it.
It's been many years since I've been to the Calgary airport, but I seem to recall 120V outlets at the head of every parking spot for block heaters. No? Maybe I'm thinking of somewhere else up north...

While searching for an answer concerning my question about the "hybrid" parking spaces, I did find this information on DIA's website:

Electric Vehicle Charging Stations
Denver International Airport has a total of 36 electric vehicle (EV) charging stations available close-in on Level 1 of the parking garages. The spaces have designated “Electric Vehicle Station” signs. There is no charge to use the stations, however, the standard garage parking rates apply. The station locations are listed below:

Parking Facility Charging Station Locations
GARAGE WEST, Level 1 Rows E, F, G
15 total Level 1 EV Charging Stations
10 total Level 2 EV Charging Stations
GARAGE EAST, Level 1 Rows E, F (5); Row R (6)
11 total Level 1 EV Charging Stations
61st and Peña Along the south and west sides
11 total Level 1 EV Charging Stations​

The majority of the charging stations (37 spots) are Level 1. Only 10 of the 47 charging spots have Level 2 chargers. Still no idea about the hybrid spots.

Last edited:
I was looking for a parking spot in a crowded parking garage with my brother in the Model X. I didn't need to charge and the charging spot was open. My brother insisted that I park there. I told him that another EV may need to charge and I'm not going to block the spot if I don't need to charge. He couldn't believe that I did that. He said he would have absolutely parked there. Some people just don't care about affecting other people.

Also, a few months ago, I took a charging spot at the airport for an entire week. We had a flight out of Atlantic City that got cancelled last minute so we booked a flight out of Philly and drove straight there from AC. Because of those extra miles, I needed to charge to get-home from Philly. There are currently no Superchargers near Philadelphia International Airport. I felt bad taking the spot, but I had no choice really.

It's been many years since I've been to the Calgary airport, but I seem to recall 120V outlets at the head of every parking spot for block heaters. No? Maybe I'm thinking of somewhere else up north...

I just am always unsure if that is sufficient for minus thirty to keep the battery safe. However, where they are not available, what would people think as being proper protocol where there are chargers and while you may not need the charge you do need to plug I. To protect the batttery. My thoughts are that you should be able to use the spot.

I think the big issue posted by the OP is that many people park in these spots and don't plug in, which I agree is an issue.

There is a special place in hell reserved for Tesla drivers parked in a charging spot and not plugged in.

Hell sure has a lot of "special places." I get that it should have special places for child molesters, rapists and murderers, but it has a special place for Tesla drivers who park in EV spots and don't plug in? I don't think I could find my way around hell with all it's special places but I guess I'll find out because I'm an atheist and I think we've got our own special place there too, at least according to some. Hopefully it's close to those Tesla people who park in EV spots without plugging in, so I can torment them while I'm being tormented.

I never get using heaven and hell as a means to get people to do the right thing. For me, it's just the adult equivalent telling kids that Santa will put you on his naughty list if you misbehave. We all know it's BS but it works somewhat until our kids figure out it's just BS. Anyone who needs the fear of hell to do the right thing is a morally bankrupt person to me. I teach my kids to do what's right solely because it's the right thing to do, and the true test of one's character is when you do the right thing when no one is looking or knows about it. For me, that's a much better approach to life than using made up concepts like heaven, hell or Santa.

Hell sure has a lot of "special places." I get that it should have special places for child molesters, rapists and murderers, but it has a special place for Tesla drivers who park in EV spots and don't plug in? I don't think I could find my way around hell with all it's special places but I guess I'll find out because I'm an atheist and I think we've got our own special place there too, at least according to some. Hopefully it's close to those Tesla people who park in EV spots without plugging in, so I can torment them while I'm being tormented.

I never get using heaven and hell as a means to get people to do the right thing. For me, it's just the adult equivalent telling kids that Santa will put you on his naughty list if you misbehave. We all know it's BS but it works somewhat until our kids figure out it's just BS. Anyone who needs the fear of hell to do the right thing is a morally bankrupt person to me. I teach my kids to do what's right solely because it's the right thing to do, and the true test of one's character is when you do the right thing when no one is looking or knows about it. For me, that's a much better approach to life than using made up concepts like heaven, hell or Santa.
I’m proud to say I’m an atheist too.
But I do like cathedrals, gospel music, Christmas and old turns of phrase from our murkier past.

• Love
Reactions: tvuolo and T34ME
But I do like cathedrals, gospel music, Christmas and old turns of phrase from our murkier past.

Me too. There's nothing wrong with celebrating our history and culture. I was raised catholic and spent my fair share of time in church. I also took religious studies in university. In fact, Atheists, Agnostics Know More About Religion Than Religious. That's probably why we find it so hard to believe in faith over science...

Hitch.jpg

I have to disagree wholeheartedly (not with the issue of parking and not plugging in—that is an obvious offense). If a Tesla owner wants to park and charge at DEN’s EV charging area, that is perfectly acceptable. Sure, the Tesla driver could re-charge before or after a flight at a nearby Supercharger but that would require additional time. The point of plugging in at an airport EV charging station is that one’s car is fully charged upon return. Tesla owners have the same right to this as other EV owners.

Leaf owner Tim, don’t be bitter because Tesla had the forethought to build a fast-charging network but Nissan, a company which still favors ICE cars, did not. Fortune, and the future, favors the brave. Nissan is not brave.

Andrew
You felt so strongly about it that you posted twice? :)

Agreed. I don't use the free charging in public parking garages in Denver (although I HAVE tried them out to make sure they might work for me in an emergency). When I know I can drive home and back 10 times (or to Cheyenne, or Colo Sprgs, or Silverthorne...) with my remaining charge, I don't think it's fair to take the charging slot of someone who might not make it home if they don't charge.

True. LAX has a pretty good system going. They have a bank of about 20 level 2 chargers in one of the remote lots. Every one has a super long cord that can reach like 6 adjacent parking spots. So people swap cords around as needed. While I was gone, my car was unplugged once, then plugged into another charger when I got back. An ice Honda had taken one of the plugs and closed it under his hood, and he got a ticket for his trouble.

So they leave EVs alone, but ticket ICE cars parked in the spots. The parking is out in the remote lot, so EVs parking there because it’s close vs needing a charge is less of an issue except when the lot is full.

But I agree with several folks here: 110V is the best option for airport parking.

Agree with the sentiment. Been there myself, decided I didn't need to take a spot. The problem is that if I plug into a 110/120 V AC plug, then I expose my connector to theft or damage. And the facility might expose themselves to liability for electrocution. If costs can be brought down, IMO best answer is lots and lots of low amp J1772s.

Agree with the sentiment. Been there myself, decided I didn't need to take a spot. The problem is that if I plug into a 110/120 V AC plug, then I expose my connector to theft or damage. And the facility might expose themselves to liability for electrocution. If costs can be brought down, IMO best answer is lots and lots of low amp J1772s.

Some airports, like PDX, have put in 120v J1772 chargers because they can put more of them in.

Some airports, like PDX, have put in 120v J1772 chargers because they can put more of them in.
Didn't know that. Sounds great. Probably more efficient and better for the electric panel if they were low amp 240V so that the load remains balanced (but now I am assuming the airport lot/garage is supplied by a 240V main, which may be way off).

While those of us close to airports with long-rang batteries don't really need this, its still a great thing to do.

I am with OP on this. I hate Teslas that plug in in my office when almost all of them don't need a charge, except to save a few pennies a day. Whereas the Leafs do need them to get comfortably back home and still have some left to do some immediate errands.

In the case that OP describes, where there is an SC nearby why not be considerate and leave the plugs to other EVs.

I think the biggest problem here is people making assumptions about other people's charging habits and motivations. The OP is just certain that the Tesla doesn't *need* the charge. The most recent poster is sure their motivation is "to save a few pennies." Almost everyone on that side of the argument assumes the Tesla owner lives nearby and has a functioning level 2 charging set up at home. The truth is, none of them really can be certain of any of this.

There are many, many reasons for someone driving a Tesla to use a public charging station. Public charging stations are just what the name implies. They are charging stations that are open to the public. If you just take it at face value and stop making assumptions about the Tesla and its owner, EV owners of all types should be able to get along.

Just to play devil's advocate here:

Is it our responsibility to subsidize the lack of infrastructure for other EV brands? We paid for the SC network in the cost of our cars. Should we suffer due to both the other comanies' short-sightedness in not providing a charging network and the owners' foolishness to buy such a car?

A-fing-men, Barry. This bitching from these Nissan people sounds a lot like buyer's remorse/envy. At least they didn't buy Priuses...

Andrew