Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Denver International Electric Parking - Teslas Stop Parking There!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to disagree wholeheartedly (not with the issue of parking and not plugging in—that is an obvious offense). If a Tesla owner wants to park and charge at DEN’s EV charging area, that is perfectly acceptable. Sure, the Tesla driver could re-charge before or after a flight at a nearby Supercharger but that would require additional time. The point of plugging in at an airport EV charging station is that one’s car is fully charged upon return. Tesla owners have the same right to this as other EV owners.

Leaf owner Tim, don’t be bitter because Tesla had the forethought to build a fast-charging network but Nissan, a company which still favors ICE cars, did not. Fortune, and the future, favors the brave. Nissan is not brave.

Andrew

I am seriously sick of having to question if my Leaf will be able to charge when I get to the airport because you jerks are too lazy to walk more than a few yards into the main terminal. When I got there today, there were 6 Teslas that weren't even plugged in. You guys are worse than ICEers. Pull your heads out, and leave the spaces for people with smaller battery packs.

Jerks are everywhere -- they drive Teslas, Nissan Leafs and every other EV and plug in hybrid produced. Knowing that, in my view, you're directing your anger in the wrong place. We don't take our Leaf anywhere that requires a charge to get home because we can no longer count on public charging stations to be open -- and most are occupied by Teslas that do not need the charge. Expecting Teslas not to be driven by jerks so Nissan Leafs can charge sounds like a waste of your breath to me. It's about the same as telling Nissan to build us Leaf chargers so we don't have to be upset with inconsiderate Tesla drivers hogging public EV spots when they don't need a charge. Jerks exist in our world and nothing we can say will change the vast majority of them. In fact, many relish in being selfish. There's long threads here of people saying they will use superchargers for local use without any consideration for travellers and full superchargers even though they can charge at home. Tesla knows that which is likely why free supercharging can't continue and won't exist for the Model 3. If everyone just used superchargers for travelling they could likely be free -- but people will do just about anything to save a buck -- or to get a close parking space -- or at least jerks will who ruin the system for everyone.

Nissan also knows this and, in my view, hung every Nissan Leaf owner out to dry by building a very low range EV with no charging network. I knew that going in and bought it solely as an "around you neighbourhood" car only. I'd never think of taking mine to the airport if I had to rely on public charging. Nissan made that much too frustrating of an experience to undertake.

I'm about 50/50 for finding an open charging spot at DIA, and there have been times that I needed a charge to make it back home. I agree that this issue could be solved by adding a bunch of slow chargers or 110V outlets. Until then, I will charge when I find an open spot.
I used to drive a LEAF and completely understand where you are coming from, but I got tired of worrying about finding open chargers (and sick of charging at Nissan dealerships) so I bought a tesla.

Just a situational question. If I recall if the temperature drops below minus 20 celcious, does Tesla not require us to keep the car plugged in? If this is the case and I need to leave my car at the airport, then would it not be appropriate to use one of these stalls for my car to protect the battery?

I generally take a taxi to the airport during the winter to avoid this situation, but just wonder what proper procedure might be in this situation.

I do agree with the OP though, if there is no issue re temperature and you have sufficient charge (ie not plugged in) leave the spot for someone who needs it.

So, I am a jerk because I use Superchargers for local use? What if I told you that is part of the Tesla-nomics of how I afford my Tesla Model X?

I don't know if you're a jerk or not, but if you're only able to afford a Model X with free power provided by Tesla, you're financially foolish, at least in my view.

I used to drive a LEAF and completely understand where you are coming from, but I got tired of worrying about finding open chargers (and sick of charging at Nissan dealerships) so I bought a tesla.

For my three teenage daughters, there's no better car than a Leaf. It keeps them real close to home and off most major highways.

What is with you Leaf people???

You seem confused. I doubt any "Leaf people" care if you use local superchargers. It's travelers in Teslas who care, like me, since this is what superchargers are for, at least according to Tesla and everything I've read about it from Tesla...

Last edited:
Jerks are everywhere -- they drive Teslas, Nissan Leafs and every other EV and plug in hybrid produced. Knowing that, in my view, you're directing your anger in the wrong place. We don't take our Leaf anywhere that requires a charge to get home because we can no longer count on public charging stations to be open -- and most are occupied by Teslas that do not need the charge. Expecting Teslas not to be driven by jerks so Nissan Leafs can charge sounds like a waste of your breath to me. It's about the same as telling Nissan to build us Leaf chargers so we don't have to be upset with inconsiderate Tesla drivers hogging public EV spots when they don't need a charge. Jerks exist in our world and nothing we can say will change the vast majority of them. In fact, many relish in being selfish. There's long threads here of people saying they will use superchargers for local use without any consideration for travellers and full superchargers even though they can charge at home. Tesla knows that which is likely why free supercharging can't continue and won't exist for the Model 3. If everyone just used superchargers for travelling they could likely be free -- but people will do just about anything to save a buck -- or to get a close parking space -- or at least jerks will who ruin the system for everyone.

Nissan also knows this and, in my view, hung every Nissan Leaf owner out to dry by building a very low range EV with no charging network. I knew that going in and bought it solely as an "around you neighbourhood" car only. I'd never think of taking mine to the airport if I had to rely on public charging. Nissan made that much too frustrating of an experience to undertake.

How on earth do you know the Teslas do not need the charge?

Answer: You don't.

Reactions: Don TLR
I will say that I agree that 110V outlets are the best solution for long-term airport parking. I don't fly often but last time I was there, that's all they had at SEA. The spots are in a decent location and there were plenty of open spots. It was mostly Teslas plugged in.

I wish airports would move to cheap 110V outlets at all/most spots rather than expensive L2 chargers in just a few spots.

It's an airport. You generally don't park for just an hour or two. It's either too short a time for L2 to matter, or too long for L2 to matter.

110V for all solves the issue.
This is so true.
I'd actually like to extend this to all parking infrastructure, including streets.

There is so much hand-wringing about the cost of curbside charging, but a lot of this is because of the perceived demand for rapid charging.

Most cars spend 23 hours a day parked. A standard outlet would cover the majority of users.

This would also reduce to demand for rapid chargers, as most people would rather not sit in their car waiting to charge.

• Love
Reactions: ORB and sdoorex
I support the installation of 110V for long term airport parking, as well as proliferation of the WA law that facilitates a $125 ticket or tow for any vehicle not charging in an L2 or better space. Stripe them green and get people to equate green with red and blue zones and the towing and fines associated therewith.

The day 110V proliferate for all regular stalls, as well as having more L3 stalls will be a good day. As noted above, L2 stalls for long term parking are useless.

Of course, upgrading electrical capacity in the nation’s airport parking garages will take the better part of a generation to sort out, but starting with sensitizing people to green = red and blue (no, not purple) can happen mas rapido,

Reactions: CSFTN
Problem is the unplugged cars were probably unplugged by asshole Leaf owners. There have been many instances of that reported.

True. LAX has a pretty good system going. They have a bank of about 20 level 2 chargers in one of the remote lots. Every one has a super long cord that can reach like 6 adjacent parking spots. So people swap cords around as needed. While I was gone, my car was unplugged once, then plugged into another charger when I got back. An ice Honda had taken one of the plugs and closed it under his hood, and he got a ticket for his trouble.

So they leave EVs alone, but ticket ICE cars parked in the spots. The parking is out in the remote lot, so EVs parking there because it’s close vs needing a charge is less of an issue except when the lot is full.

But I agree with several folks here: 110V is the best option for airport parking.

There is literally a supercharger down the street from the airport.

Hey, Leaf owner, there is literally a Chademo just down the street from the airport. It’s actually across the street from said supercharger. So, it seems like you could be doing the same thing as those “jerk” Tesla owners: charging before arriving or on your way out.

5AC4A3E9-16E6-4747-A61D-DB0A23D2BA83.jpeg

When we were at DIA last weekend, I noticed several parking spots marked "Hybrid" that were empty. Are those supposed to be for plug-in hybrids or any hybrid vehicle? We did not park in any of the L2 charger spaces but I wondered why they would have reserved spots for hybrids but not for EVs. I know some locations with public charging will have additional spaces for cars to park there and share a charger...but it doesn't seem clear what the hybrid spots are for.

They have a bank of about 20 level 2 chargers in one of the remote lots. Every one has a super long cord that can reach like 6 adjacent parking spots. So people swap cords around as needed.

That's the same system that Canopy Parking on Tower uses. They have a row of back to back parking spaces in their garage with Juice Bars that have multiple L1 outlets and a long L2 cord that can serve 4-6 cars. I usually to part just far enough away that I can reach the L2 in a pinch but I leave the closest spaces to those that need it actively. The nice thing is that with their setup they don't have to dedicate spaces to "charging" cars and instead the row is reserved for any EV charging or not. They also have some L3 plugs available in valet for anyone that's really dying for a quick charge.