Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Denver (Lone Tree) to Santa Fe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ahm

Nov 11, 2013
I have a trip next week from Tucson to Fort Collins for Labor Day weekend. I have my route to Fort Collins planned to drive 550 from Farmington to Grand Junction and then across on 70. I was working in EV Trip Planner for the return just now, and thought I'd see about the route from the Lone Tree SC to the Trinidad SC and onto Santa Fe, NM. Much to my surprise it is showing that this is within reach of an 85D*. I'd like to know if anyone has completed this drive? Also has anyone used the CHAdeMO chargers at the Nissan dealerships in either Colorado Springs on Pueblo?

Thanks in advance.

* I know my signature says P85. I am scheduled to take delivery of my 85D on Monday.

Last edited:
I have a trip next week from Tucson to Fort Collins for Labor Day weekend. I have my route to Fort Collins planned to drive 550 from Farmington to Grand Junction and then across on 70. I was working in EV Trip Planner for the return just now, and thought I'd see about the route from the Lone Tree SC to the Trinidad SC and onto Santa Fe, NM. Much to my surprise it is showing that this is within reach of an 85D*. I'd like to know if anyone has completed this drive? Also has anyone used the CHAdeMO chargers at the Nissan dealerships in either Colorado Springs on Pueblo?

Thanks in advance.

* I know my signature says P85. I am scheduled to take delivery of my 85D on Monday.

@ahm, Before the Trinidad SC came on-line, I drove from Albuquerque up to Colorado Springs back in June. I charged in Raton (at the KOA RV park) each direction. On the way up to Colorado Springs, after a range charge at the KOA, I still had a fair amount of range left in my 85 (91 rated miles) when I arrived (my friends lived in the north part of Colorado Springs). I used the CHAdeMO at the Nissan dealership, and was really happy with the convenience and rate of charge (98 A / 372 V even at a 60% SOC). I charged on a Sunday, when the dealership was actually closed, grateful that the charger is outside of the closed-off portion of the dealership.

I just ran this route twice in the past 2 days. I went from 240 miles down to 40 in my P85 with 21" wheels from supercharger to supercharger both times, and I had the cruise set to 80 almost the entire way. Temperature was 70-80 both trips, as well. If you keep it at 70/75 or below, you should be fine!

I made the drive from Fort Collins to Santa Fe today along I-25. Lone Tree to Trinidad was straightforward. I left Lone Tree with 251 rated and arrived Trinidad with 31 rated. That stretch took me about 2 hours and 10 minutes. Traffic was heavy at times so my speed varied between 60 and 84. In Trinidad I did a range charge, departing with 272 miles. For this stretch I set my cruise to 75 and kept it there. A few sections the speed dropped due to construction, but those were a very small portion of this run. I stopped in Las Vegas, NM to check out the Supercharger (see Las Vegas NM thread for info). Trinidad to Las Vegas NM used 142 rated miles. At Santa Fe I exited I-25 at Old Pecos Trail / Exit 284 with 50 miles rated. It took me about three hours of driving from Trinidad to the exit in Santa Fe. I cancelled my navigation destination and put in the Albuquerque Supercharger. The energy graph reported arriving at the SC 2%, which would be about 6 miles. I would not have been comfortable continuing onto Albuquerque with only 50 miles rated. Las Vegas NM will be a welcome addition along I-25.