Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Denver to ski resorts and back same day without charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Canuck-your post is so timely! I live in Littleton, CO, but was just driving Hwy 4 this past Thursday. (I have a house in Tofino that I am putting up for sale.) The drive over was snowy, but coming back was fine. I understand the sinkhole they were working on got bigger and they had to close the road. I was in a rental.

I'm glad it was helpful. This is the first winter (third with the car) that I put snow tires on my RWD S85. I went through some heavy snow to my cabin a few weeks ago and it did great but now winter has arrived in full and this is the road right now. I'm debating whether to take my Tahoe Hybrid or the S. I hate driving an ICE but...

65.jpg

Reactions: Weezer Fan
Thanks for the info on Ski Ormes Peak, I would definitely support a local skiing option. I wonder what their odds of success are?
Not sure what they odds are. But with the new administration entering the White House, and their so called business oriented politics along with not caring about the environment, maybe it will be a little easier. I know in the past getting leases for new areas are very difficult.

I've made the I-70 drive twice this ski season and I'm already tired of it! I donated $20 and I'll put the sticker on my ski helmet to see if people ask me about it.

On a Tesla related note, this is my first winter with the X and I've been very impressed with how it handles in the snow and ice.

I was just informed that Monarch Mountain installed two chargers including one HPWC and will soon be on the destination charging map. I'm hoping to make it out there next week to check it out.
This is great but still too much of a risk for me. We love Monarch, but there is no Plan B if we arrive and find the HPWC occupied. We can't make the 310 mile round trip on 1 charge.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed on what appears to be a 2017 planned Supercharger near Salida. That would change everything!
Yesterday, we did our first ski trip in the MX. Skied at Keystone, then charged and had dinner at the Silverthorne SC. It worked out great.

would that be an l2 charger? you should be aware that you'll only get 25-28 mph into the car.
They have 70A, 240V service through a Clipper Creek J1772 EVSE. So with the dual charger option in an MX, it's about 48 MPH of charging rate. You do have to call them first to arrange an EV charge.
We are staying at the Woodland Motel in Salida in Feb. They showed up on Plugshare, when we booked, as having a NEMA 14-50 available. Another user just pointed out on Plugshare that it's actually a NEMA 10-50 socket, and posted a photo. I called the hotel today and confirmed that they only have the 10-50 (3-prong, 50 A), even though Plugshare lists a 14-50. I ordered the parts to put together a 10-50 to 14-50 dogbone adaptor. Glad someone pointed this out before we got there. Our backup for this trip will be Woods High Mountain Distillery.

Anybody else disappointed that the ski resorts don't seem to be embracing EV charging, I live south of Denver and need a charge to make to back home. At least Salida SC will open up Monarch, but I was hoping for more.

Anybody else disappointed that the ski resorts don't seem to be embracing EV charging, I live south of Denver and need a charge to make to back home. At least Salida SC will open up Monarch, but I was hoping for more.
There are a lot of chargers at the resorts, but not in public parking. Most are reserved for guests at the hotels.
From south of Denver you have many option: Vail, Breck, Keystone, Copper, etc if you just plan on using the Silverthorne SC. It's a good location for a meal or a coffee.
The SC near Monarch is actually under construction in Poncha Springs, not Salida. There is a separate thread on this. The concrete pads are in and conduit trenching and laying is done. Hard to say when it will be up. I checked the permit today and no electrical inspections have occurred yet.

Powderhorn Resort on the Grand Mesa near Grand Junction, CO is getting multiple destination chargers in their public lot. I've been involved with making that happen. Uncertain how soon it will happen, their electrician has been occupied with other projects but it is coming and will open up the Mesa in general to Tesla activity!

• Love
Reactions: MitchMitch