Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Wheat Ridge, CO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So found a Pre-Application for Tesla Charging on the City of Wheat Ridge Permit Site
Contacted the City Planner and this was a meeting with Tesla back in February for the possibility of a Supercharger located in the Applewood Village Shopping Center at I-70 and Youngfield. No official permits have been submitted yet according to the City Planner.

Screen Shot 2018-05-20 at 9.59.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 9.43.30 AM.png

Nice find! So what does a pre-application mean in this context? Is it a fairly solid “intention to build”? Is it like some reports in other states where there have been requests for existing underground cables to be marked?

It seems Tesla is scouting locations and a Pre-Application simply was a meeting between the City of Wheat Ridge and Shopping Center owners outlining plans and a locating a parcel to place a charger within the shopping center. The address 3490 Youngfield is actually the Wells Fargo Bank but the city planner told me it is simply a parcel that the charger will be located in place behind the bank.
I would suspect the time to draw up plans to submit a permit can take a while so this location looks promising.

We had expected the Supercharger to be located here or a little farther west, in Denver West. Since there's a King Soopers in Applewood Village, it would be better for ~20 hour amenities coverage per day compared to Denver West. There are a couple 24 hour restaurants within a few blocks.

@BlueShift , might want to add this "pre-permit" location to the map.

Last edited:
We had expected the Supercharger to be located here or a little farther west, in Denver West. Since there's a King Soopers in Applewood Village, it would be better for ~20 hour amenities coverage per day compared to Denver West. There are a couple 24 hour restaurants within a few blocks.

@BlueShift , might want to add this "pre-permit" location to the map.

Here we go!!!

wheatridge.png

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Chuq - just curious why you're following this thread. It's a long way from Hobart :)

The closest supercharger from me is 700 km away (and that includes 400 km of water) and it looks like staying like that for a while. So I follow the international supercharger scene instead :) Search for permits, development applications, corroborate different sources. Armchair sleuthing :)

Reactions: MarcoRP
Haha, quite funny. I was just looking at the various superchargers in Colorado and was curious what new ones were being built, when I noticed the Wheat Ridge location (which is where I live.). What was funny is when I looked on their map and the pin was located in my neighborhood. (I am pretty sure the pin isn't where it is going to be and is just a generalization of it being in Wheat Ridge, as it is stated on the site.) There is a new supermarket (Luckys Market) being built at 38th and Wadsworth, and another grocery store on the other side of Wadsworth and 38th. (both locations approx 2 miles south of I70 / wadsworth exit.)

Applewood location seem more logical though as it is right off I70. In any case, it looks like it will be very close which will make trips into the mountain a lot nicer if I don't get a full charge the night before. (Well, whenever I get a Tesla of course......)

upload_2018-7-20_9-48-41.png

Haha, quite funny. I was just looking at the various superchargers in Colorado and was curious what new ones were being built, when I noticed the Wheat Ridge location (which is where I live.). What was funny is when I looked on their map and the pin was located in my neighborhood. (I am pretty sure the pin isn't where it is going to be and is just a generalization of it being in Wheat Ridge, as it is stated on the site.) There is a new supermarket (Luckys Market) being built at 38th and Wadsworth, and another grocery store on the other side of Wadsworth and 38th. (both locations approx 2 miles south of I70 / wadsworth exit.)

Applewood location seem more logical though as it is right off I70. In any case, it looks like it will be very close which will make trips into the mountain a lot nicer if I don't get a full charge the night before. (Well, whenever I get a Tesla of course......)

View attachment 318398
Yeah, the pins always just show initially right above the city name and don't actually indicate where they will be located. We were hoping for Denver West/Colorado Mills but Applewood Village is still a pretty good spot.

That is awesome you will have a SC so close. I live in Superior & Tesla is currently building (and expected to open) a service center here in 2019. It will be awful nice if they put some superchargers there also. Even if they don't, the Boulder superchargers are only 10 miles away. Cheers ...

That's just a few blocks from my house. Several buildings have been recently torn down and the Walmart moved out a year ago which means there is plenty of room and easy access. It will be interesting to see where they put it.

Does it make me a fanboi that I'm a little excited a SuperCharger is coming to my neighborhood even though I'll never use it?

There's a lot of construction going on at the old Walmart site but no sign of any Supercharger construction yet. We heard they are turning part of the building into a Trader Joe's. The Boulder Supercharger is right next to a Trader Joe's but that could just be a coincidence. As I mentioned earlier, the nearby King Soopers isn't open 24 hours, but instead is only open from 5 am until midnight. It's not the best spot for 24 hour amenities but maybe something else will open near this site as construction continues.

Last edited:
There's a lot of construction going on at the old Walmart site but no sign of any Supercharger construction yet. We heard they are turning part of the building into a Trader Joe's. The Boulder Supercharger is right next to a Trader Joe's but that could just be a coincidence. As I mentioned earlier, the nearby King Soopers isn't open 24 hours, but instead is only open from 5 am until midnight. It's not the best spot for 24 hour amenities but maybe something else will open near this site as construction continues.

I'm more excited about the Trader Joes now than the SC!

• Funny
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
There is a King Soopers, Applejack Liquor, Chili's , Smash Burger, Petsmart, Chipotle, Starbucks and a number of other retailers in that center.
Yeah, but none of them are 24 hours, unfortunately.

We drive by it almost every day but still haven't spotted any Tesla crates. I'm guessing they will wait until the main construction is done or nearly done before putting in the Superchargers.

We did notice the Qdoba is gone and has been replaced by a new restaurant. A new Hacienda Colorado is being built too.