Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deposit speculation for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True, but unless they're building up the factory for multiple lines of the Model 3 right from the start, it will be a gradual thing. As it stands, a single factory line for the Model S is production limited to what, like 30 or 35,000 units a year. If they initially start the Model 3 with a single factory line, which I expect they would, output will probably be similar to the Model S's. And that line won't start at full output, either. There will probably be an initial ramp up period as they ensure quality. I don't think they'll add multiple factory lines and get caught up until they have at least a few months of quality vehicles with positive sales results.

True, but unless they're building up the factory for multiple lines of the Model 3 right from the start, it will be a gradual thing. As it stands, a single factory line for the Model S is production limited to what, like 30 or 35,000 units a year. If they initially start the Model 3 with a single factory line, which I expect they would, output will probably be similar to the Model S's. And that line won't start at full output, either. There will probably be an initial ramp up period as they ensure quality. I don't think they'll add multiple factory lines and get caught up until they have at least a few months of quality vehicles with positive sales results.

All true but even if they have a line setup for a partial production rate and they are ramping up production, it will still only be a matter of a couple/few weeks.

I believe Tesla Motors will not accept deposits to reserve the Model ☰ until and unless they are absolutely certain they will be in full production within 18 months.

So if they believe it can be delivered to the first Customers during Quarter 4 2016, they will begin taking reservations around June/July 2015.

If they believe it can be delivered by mid-2017, they will take reservations during Quarter 1 2016.

$20,000 for a Signature, with a maximum of 2,500 in North America with that designation.

$5,000 initial deposit for regular production vehicles prior to launch.

$2,500 deposit after all Signature and backlog of preorder regular production vehicles have been delivered.

ok, after last nights event and demonstrations, I'm ready to put down a deposit for a fully optioned "Max my Model 3" car. (actually I see they removed that button on the configurator after last night). Anyhow, with Dual motors and long range, supercharging and a mid sized vehicle, I'm ready to order.

Delivery should be real easy, the car will just drive to my house from the factory without anyone in it. Heck, Elons working on superchargers plugging into the car automatically, this will greatly reduce the cost of transport since the cars will just drive themselves to the owner (anywhere in the country).

ok, after last nights event and demonstrations, I'm ready to put down a deposit for a fully optioned "Max my Model 3" car. (actually I see they removed that button on the configurator after last night). Anyhow, with Dual motors and long range, supercharging and a mid sized vehicle, I'm ready to order.

Delivery should be real easy, the car will just drive to my house from the factory without anyone in it. Heck, Elons working on superchargers plugging into the car automatically, this will greatly reduce the cost of transport since the cars will just drive themselves to the owner (anywhere in the country).

Agreed. +100000000 Put me down for a Model 3 P85D Convertible please !!

Hopefully you won't have to wait to 2018 so see it, though (per your auto-signature).

I hope so too, but I put it that way because I believed that it was a realistic date, but after seeing how fast they've been working on other improvements it might be sooner. It really hinges on how fast they can get the factory in Sparks up and running, as well as how well the launch and ramp up of the Model X proceeds. Can't wait to see the reveal party for the X.

I can totally imagine tracking your car on your laptop driving itself from Fremont to your house.

Delivery should be real easy, the car will just drive to my house from the factory without anyone in it.
Yeah, but someone will complain about:

1.) The mileage on their 'new' car isn't "0".
2.) The car wasn't "pristine" when it arrived! How dare they ship me a dirty car?
3.) There's a rock chip in the paint!
4.) Some robot got its dirty manipulators all over the new carpets!
5.) The tires are dusty.
6.) They delivered the car and the battery wasn't at 100%
7.) They didn't ship it covered.

I'm sure you guys can come up with more.

I believe Tesla Motors will not accept deposits to reserve the Model ☰ until and unless they are absolutely certain they will be in full production within 18 months.

So if they believe it can be delivered to the first Customers during Quarter 4 2016, they will begin taking reservations around June/July 2015.

If they believe it can be delivered by mid-2017, they will take reservations during Quarter 1 2016.
I think they will not take reservations until much later - so that people won't put down a deposit on 3 instead of coughing up the money for S/X. May be 6 months before launch. Unless, they think it would be a good idea to have a large list of reservation holders to call and try to upsell to S/X.

Given the non-appearance of X on Oct-9, I'm also less optimistic about the 3 delivery date. I think it is likely the regular 3's will come after 2017.

Was the performance model available from the get go for the Sig series customers or did that come later? I definitely want a performance model so I'm wondering if that takes me out of the Sig series option anyway. I believe I read the the P85+ came after the P85. Assuming money and speed of delivery was not a factor (I simply wanted the "best" Model S), I would have been pretty bummed to take deliver of my Sig series S only for the company to announce they were coming out with a "better" version.

Someone over in the forums on the Tesla site is lamenting the fact that he just took delivery of his P85+ a couple weeks ago only for Tesla to announce a "better" version is coming out, the D of couse.

Tesla | Forums | Tesla Motors

This is what I was afraid of. Now they are saying, according to him, that they will give him $10,000 less than what he paid on a trade in b/c they fear the demand for the D will be so great that presumably his "old" version just lost 10 grand in value in 2 weeks.

The technology seems to be moving so fast in this arena I'm hesitant to invest in it. What if there is some technological breakthrough once the gigafactory is up and running and now the batteries for my Mod 3 are old and outdated and there are new batteries that charge in half the time, last twice as long, take up half the space and cost half as much? I know there are always what ifs and I'm very new to this technology so I'm just thinking out loud here, not trying to make any proclamations.

Last edited:
Someone over in the forums on the Tesla site is lamenting the fact that he just took delivery of his P85+ a couple weeks ago only for Tesla to announce a "better" version is coming out, the D of couse.

This is what I was afraid of. Now they are saying, according to him, that they will give him $10,000 less than what he paid on a trade in b/c they fear the demand for the D will be so great that presumably his "old" version just lost 10 grand in value in 2 weeks.

The technology seems to be moving so fast in this arena I'm hesitant to invest in it. What if there is some technological breakthrough once the gigafactory is up and running and now the batteries for my Mod 3 are old and outdated and there are new batteries that charge in half the time, last twice as long, take up half the space and weigh half as much? I know there are always what ifs and I'm very new to this technology so I'm just thinking out loud here, not trying to make any proclamations.

I bought a Roadster over three years ago. Yes, there is better technology now, better batteries, more range ... for a lower cost than what I paid. And I'd do it again. No hesitation.

• My car still does everything it does when I bought it. Just because there is newer technology doesn't mean my car has gone backwards. And, in fact, Model S owners have had multiple software updates that have resulted in more features since buying their car.
  • Elon has announced that there will be a new battery pack with longer range (400 mile) available soon for the Roadster. While Roadster owners were thrilled with the news, I don't think the rest of the owners really picked up on the fact that old technology didn't get left behind.
  • There will always be something better around the corner. If it's the car you want, get it. Because I promise you that the miles I've driven in my Roadster are irreplaceable. Every day that you wait is another day that you don't get to experience how fun it is to drive electric. And that's a shame.

tesla owners im jealous, i had all the intentions of getting an s 85 in early 2014 but my wife got to the cookie jar first. ended up buying a mobile home in vegas for the winters. its going to take us a couple of years to fix that up and pay for it. and our 2011 camry only has 95,000 miles on it. i will buy a tesla then, most likely a model 3 85d. if its roomy enough other wise a s or x. i bought my first new car in 1969 a chevy nova ss. we have spent alot of money on autos over the years 20+ new cars or trucks chevy, ford, dodge, honda, and toyota. we had pretty good luck with most of them and were grateful for all the beautiful places these autos have taken us and every one of them were better than the last one. i wonder what would happen if i went back to chevy and asked them to upgrade my nova ss? time moves on, be thankfull your still not on a horse. we cant wait to put a deposit on a model 3. talk about better than the last, do you how much fun it is to stand out in the cold pumping gas at -25 bellow zero. the garage in mn is already wired, cant wait.

The technology seems to be moving so fast in this arena I'm hesitant to invest in it. What if there is some technological breakthrough once the gigafactory is up and running and now the batteries for my Mod 3 are old and outdated and there are new batteries that charge in half the time, last twice as long, take up half the space and cost half as much? I know there are always what ifs and I'm very new to this technology so I'm just thinking out loud here, not trying to make any proclamations.

People have some seriously unrealistic expectations for Tesla relative to other car companies. Every car company releases new tech and it's rarely retrofittable. As for losing money on trade 3 weeks after purchase. Go to any BMW/Mercedes/Porsche dealer and offer them a $135k MSRP car of their own brand on trade that is 3 weeks old. You would be lucky to get more than $110k (and those cars don't lose a $7500 tax credit that can only be used by the first buyer).

Of course we all want the latest and greatest. But as bonnie has pointed out, you only deprive yourself the joys of a Tesla by waiting for the next big thing. It was my plan to wait for the Model 3 as my first Tesla, knowing that the technology available for it would eclipse much of the technology in even the newest Model S of today. Ultimately, I gave in and bought a USED 2013 Model S that is far from the latest and the greatest in the Tesla line-up, but as far as cars go in general, it's pretty damned great.

Do yourself a favor and stop worrying if technology will improve beyond your first Model 3 purchase -- it definitely will. But always waiting for the next major upgrade will never let you enjoy the Tesla. Just jump right in and live the dream.
:biggrin:

According to Cars-dot-com... The 2014 AUDI A8 has a depreciation of $27,212 the first year. It has a depreciation of $49,566 over five years. And that's the version that starts at $75,100. Yeah.

The technology seems to be moving so fast in this arena I'm hesitant to invest in it.

Tesla Motors will not stop innovating to satisfy the irrational fears of... anyone. The speed by which they are able to innovate, improve, and release their vehicles is an advantage that should not be wasted.

What if there is some technological breakthrough once the gigafactory is up and running and now the batteries for my Mod 3 are old and outdated and there are new batteries that charge in half the time, last twice as long, take up half the space and cost half as much?

This is solidly in the realm of "when" not "what if". Tesla Motors WILL release vehicles with improved range, performance, and feature sets. The improvements that they are able to devise for Model S and Model X will result in a Model ☰ that exceeds both their initial releases from the outset.

I think they will not take reservations until much later - so that people won't put down a deposit on 3 instead of coughing up the money for S/X. May be 6 months before launch. Unless, they think it would be a good idea to have a large list of reservation holders to call and try to upsell to S/X.

Model ☰ is the goal, the end game, not some sideshow. There is absolutely no reason to protect sales of Model S or Model X. Those are not the mass market vehicles. They will always be manufactured in lower quantities than what is expected for Model ☰. People will always buy the car they want, or can afford.

Even if Model S is sold at 50,000 per year, and Model X is sold at 150,000 per year, that limited 200,000 unit combined production is still far more than Naysayers have ever believed Tesla Motors was capable of doing at all. Meanwhile, the Model ☰ will match that production level before the end of 2018 and will vastly exceed it from 2019 forward.

Given the non-appearance of X on Oct-9, I'm also less optimistic about the 3 delivery date. I think it is likely the regular 3's will come after 2017.

I'm always optimistic. I expected dual motor all wheel drive would come to Model S. I expected battery swap stations to arrive. I expected Supercharger locations to propagate worldwide. I expect even more will be done that we are not yet aware of... All these are done in preparation for Model ☰. If these things are not done, proven to be feasible, then the entire exercise is moot.

The Model X is fully deserving of a release event all its own. I still hope that at least a small handful of reservation holders will receive the Model X before Christmas 2014. It will be tight. Basically they will have to be informed of pricing and options, in secret, before mid-November. They would be brought to Fremont to pick up their Model X about the third week of December. Hmmm... December 18, 2014 is a Thursday night...

Even if there is a relatively slow buildup of weekly production, it will not take long to produce 18,000 of the Model X:
Projected Model X Production Schedule
Rate/Week
Quantity
Totals
100 x 4400400
200 x 48001,200
400 x 41,6002,800
800 x 1915,20018,000
A 31 week schedule, beginning the first week of July 2015 would be complete long before August 2016. I personally expect production of Model X to begin in January 2015 at the latest, reaching 600-800 per week before June 2015. A further expansion at Fremont in July 2015 might allow for Midel X production to go beyond 1,500 per week.