TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Descending steep mountain roads at 30mph?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by ratsbew, Dec 4, 2014.

1. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

Can regen alone keep speed under control (about 30mph) on twisting steep (7-10%) descents? I recently did a lot of mountain driving in my manual transmission car, and even 3rd gear wasn't enough for me to not touch the brakes.

2. mmh

mmh Member

Yes, easily. You'll still have to use the accelerator a bit to limit regen.

3. FLDarren

FLDarren Member

Yes it can. I went through a 6 miles stretch of 8% decline in central Tennessee and regen was able to maintain any speed I wanted. (25-80mph)

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Absolutely I have done it many times. No brakes required.

5. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Easily. I've come down some steep mountain roads in the Asheville, NC area and the only time I'd have to use the brakes is occasionally on hairpin turns.

6. santana338

santana338 Member

Yes. A bunch of us drove up Mt. Washington in NH then came back down. I only hit my brakes three times on the descent, but others made it down without touching them at all. It was foggy and I kept losing the car in front. That's my excuse for having to tap the brakes three times.

Average grade over 8 miles is 11.9% and the max grade is 22%.

7. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Absolutely. Do it all the time coming down off of Wolf Creek Pass, etc.

If you have over 80% battery, and do long, sustained, downhill regens, you can hit regen limits that are similar to Supercharger taper charging limits. It's an obscure limit, but I have had it happen with a full charge out of Pagosa heading east over Wolf Creek Pass, and leaving Aspen with a full charge, heading east over Independence Pass. This limit is not an issue for short, pulse regens, and only happens on long, sustained regens.

Enjoy!

8. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

In the Winter you may run into having regen limited to due to a cold battery, and you'll have to use the breaks.