Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Describe your "perfect" Supercharger location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i stopped in Springfield MO today and the staff at the on site convenience store was asking what sort of things they could do that would make their location better for Tesla drivers. (See my review on the Springfield Supercharger thread for more on what they're doing.)

What's your wish list for a Supercharger stop?

Really, a nice restroom, tasty snacks, good coffee, wi-fi, and a comfortable place to hang around for 30-45 minutes. If I'm on the road, I'm on the road.
This is close to my ideal too.

The only thing I'd add is that the SpC either needs to be on the rest area of the highway (like NJ or DE), or REALLY close with easy access on/off. I don't want to spend 15 minutes driving to/from the SpC.

There would be a Trader Joe's, or some other, similarly interesting grocery store. When we are traveling, we usually prepare our own meals. That said, a Panda Express would also be nice.

Having an adjacent or nearby public park with picnic tables and play equipment is attractive to us. Our family made good use of the nearby city park in our recent stops at the Inyokern, CA Supercharger, since we needed close to a full charge both times!

While it's great that the on-site convenience store referenced by the OP wants to make their business more attractive to Tesla drivers, I must admit that we aren't generally interested in convenience stores, even while traveling.

Reactions: JenniferQ
My assumption is that they've realized we aren't all really looking for convenience stores. Hence the questions they were asking. I figured it would be a good conversation topic.

For me, I like y when there's a place to dispose of any trash/water bottles/etc, and if it isn't nice outside a place to kill time (coffee shop, restaurant that doesn't mind loitering with a drink or snack).

I think it'd be a great idea to have superchargers at activity locations where you could spend about thirty minutes or so. Pool halls, go-kart tracks, a nine-hole mini golf course... all things that would be fun breaks on a road trip but not long enough to cause lines at the charger.

I agree with the comments up-thread. First, easy on/off access from the highway is key. At rest areas like in Newark, DE are perfect. Second, restroom access. Third would be amenities - food, wifi, etc. But I'm most happy when items 1 and 2 apply.

1) For superchargers not on highways, I would want electric bike which you could either ride in place and watch an electricity gauge show how much you added back to the super charger battery or check it out and ride to anything within a reasonable radius.
2) I would want it to have a roof with solar panels and a gauge showing the percentage electricity consumed by the Supercharger generated by the solar panels and where the rest of electricity came from. Ideally there would be an interactive educational display for anyone interested.
3) There would be wifi hotspot so I could actually use the display to watch a movie or waste, I mean, enjoy countless hours spent obsessing on this forum. Maybe there could be an app that allowed me to message, communicate, play chess with other people at the supecharger. Or maybe there could be pieces of a story that you could only get from the specific super charger you were on, but these could be shared traded, or even altered ultimately forming a larger and larger picture of a multi layered mystery and hidden clues about upcoming Tesla reveals in them.
4) Of course the regular convenience stuff like 24hr toilet, great coffee and food, a valet to move the car along until the cars can do that for themselves, a detailer that would actually not scratch my paint and stuff like that.
5) One that had the battery swap setup Tesla once demoed
6) Tesla product samples like the new roof samples, home batteries, even a vending machine with Tesla stuff in it.
7) A hot tub etc,etc. There is a lot more I could imagine that would make a Super Charger stop great, but ...
8) probably the perfect super charger would be one that charged my car as fast or faster than filling the tank of an ice car and still be free.

• Funny
Really, a nice restroom, tasty snacks, good coffee, wi-fi, and a comfortable place to hang around for 30-45 minutes. If I'm on the road, I'm on the road.
aside from these kind of basics that should be at every Supercharger, I'll add a couple super simple things:
- ice and cold water to re-fill water bottles (though I guess convenience stores usually have this, and/or would prefer to sell you a cold beverage)
- squeegees and water buckets, to clean bugs off the windshield

The few times I've been through the Supercharger at Centralia WA, I notice someone was thoughtful enough to leave a couple buckets and squeegees beside the chargers - for all I know the buckets might just simply be filled when it rains (hey, it's the Pacific NW, after all). But whatever, very handy and greatly appreciated. In other Supercharger stops on a long road trip, after charging I had to drive down the road to find a gas station (gasp!) just to use their squeegee

• Funny
Twin Falls Idaho. Okay, maybe not really, it's a bit far from the highway. But it has amazing scenery, Stores everywhere, the visitor center right in the parking lot with bathrooms, and a whole bunch more. Of course, it would be nice if the visitor center was open 24 hours, but we were there during the day. Wow, what a view! Certainly the best scenery in any supercharger we've ever been to.

Reactions: ModelX
Inside my garage. I'd love the option to supercharge at home, and I'd love the big pylon by the door. Hmmm, I can probably scale up that mini phone charger version and slice it into printable chunks to at least make a nice light-up HPWC surround...