TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Design and 3D Print Your Own Tesla

Discussion in 'Future Cars' started by martinwinlow, Jul 18, 2013.

1. martinwinlow

martinwinlow Member

Given Mr Musk's strong interest in novel ways of doing things and the very generic design of Tesla's rolling chassis/drive train, I wonder if one day you will be able to design your own Tesla and 3D print the panels/body needed to produce a completely unique vehicle or one designed for a specific utilitarian task? If you started off with some unchangeable bits (including the rolling chassis-cum-drivetrain and a standard parts bin then you could design everything else as you want... MW

2. TurboZo

TurboZo Member

That would be cool. If you can get a custom house built, why not a car? Maybe someday.

3. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

I had the pleasure of firsthand discussions with some of the Alcoa engineers regarding the science and engineering involved in the stamping of aluminum body panels. It was utterly fascinating, and will not be replicated by 3D printing anytime soon. But it is a fun thought, and since the Model S feels like something straight out of The Jetsons, why not dream.