Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Design but no price?

whydontwe

Oct 27, 2018
Los Angeles
I finally received redesign overview since I wanted 100% offset, after waiting 10 days for it. I don't see a price for the redesign. I pinged my Advisor a few times, but it's been over a week with no response. How long does it take to provide updating pricing? I am pretty close to canceling and going with NRG.

jhn_

Jan 21, 2021
Northeast United States
I don’t have a specific answer to your question, but long delays between communications are the unfortunate norm with Tesla. If a 10 day wait is too long for your situation then you may want to consider another installer and keep your sanity. If you have infinite patience and time to wait, Tesla will work for you.
I say this trying to be helpful and as a Powerwall, solar, car, and stock owner of Tesla.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjrandorin

wjgjr

May 11, 2020
Silver Spring, MD
Is this for solar panels? If so, the cost for each panel is $683.33 (based on $8,200 for each 12, before all incentives.) So, if you have the original quote and the only change is to add more panels, you can work it out that way. (This does not include PWs or any extras identified, but I am assuming that hasn't changed from the original number.) None of this is an excuse for them not giving you that information, but you can use the above to work out what the new number should be.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
I finally received redesign overview since I wanted 100% offset, after waiting 10 days for it. I don't see a price for the redesign. I pinged my Advisor a few times, but it's been over a week with no response. How long does it take to provide updating pricing? I am pretty close to canceling and going with NRG.

The response times from tesla are not going to get better. They will complete the job, to code, and most people are happy with the finished product, but if you are "close to canceling and going with another supplier" over response times, I second the recommendation that its likely best for you if you do that.

Im not hating on tesla (I have tesla solar, powerwalls, and a model 3), but communication is something they dont do well, in general, and if someone is already like "I am frustrated at this communication, I am about to cancel and go with this other vendor I like", that means you are ok with the pricing from the other vendor, so if that other vendor has communicated in a manner you like, you should go with them.

Reactions: jhn_ and h2ofun

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
The response times from tesla are not going to get better. They will complete the job, to code, and most people are happy with the finished product, but if you are "close to canceling and going with another supplier" over response times, I second the recommendation that its likely best for you if you do that.

Im not hating on tesla (I have tesla solar, powerwalls, and a model 3), but communication is something they dont do well, in general, and if someone is already like "I am frustrated at this communication, I am about to cancel and go with this other vendor I like", that means you are ok with the pricing from the other vendor, so if that other vendor has communicated in a manner you like, you should go with them.
Agreed. Tesla is not very good at communicating with customers. But their products and in the case of solar, installers, seem very good.

I get the feeling that Tesla Solar runs a very lean operation to keep costs and prices down with each person having way too many projects. So as long as your order goes Step A to Step B to Step C you're fine. But, make a change or have some other special conditions and your order goes back to the end of the queue.

whydontwe

Oct 27, 2018
Los Angeles
So, I called and got hold of my Advisor. She immediately refreshed my account to reflect the increased costs for a larger system. I do need a main panel upgrade, and they quoted me $3,880 whereas other providers quoted $2,600. I asked her to adjust this part of the quote, and she'll get back to me later today. She did say that the main panel upgrade needs to be done first before installation, and I assuming this is true. This means I do have time to redesign again if needed.

All to say, the customer need to be quite proactive and stay on top of Tesla to get things to move forward.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
Should I go ahead and accept the design even though no pricing info is in it?

No, absolutely not.. I wouldnt accept a contract without knowing the pricing.

So, I called and got hold of my Advisor. She immediately refreshed my account to reflect the increased costs for a larger system. I do need a main panel upgrade, and they quoted me $3,880 whereas other providers quoted $2,600. I asked her to adjust this part of the quote, and she'll get back to me later today. She did say that the main panel upgrade needs to be done first before installation, and I assuming this is true. This means I do have time to redesign again if needed.

All to say, the customer need to be quite proactive and stay on top of Tesla to get things to move forward.

Yes, that is the "tesla energy" experience in general, however, as most of us have experienced, when the install team gets there, the experience is normally "very good to great". Its this part (communication) that is "average to awful".

Reactions: jhn_ and jboy210

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC