TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Design center changes? (body color roof, power liftgate, hi-amp charger, SAS)

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by bmah, Apr 16, 2017.

1. bmah

bmah New Moderator, Model S / Model X Forums

For no good reason, I was looking through the (US) Model S design center this evening (after the removal of the 60/60D) and a few things caught my eye:

1. The roof options are now "Glass roof" (standard) and "Sunroof" (+$2000). It doesn't look like there's a body color roof option.

2. The power liftgate appears to be standard now ("Now standard with automatic rear liftgate" in the Standard Equipment list).

3. The high-amperage charger option is included with the 100D and P100D, but doesn't appear at all on the 75/75D/90D.

4. Smart Air Suspension ($2500) doesn't appear as an option for the 75/75D.

Am I reading this wrong? Or has it been this way for awhile and I just missed it?

Bruce.

• Helpful x 3
    • Informative x 2
  2. Mediocrates

Mediocrates Member

I placed my order towards the end of March and I'd been watching the Design Studio regularly over the past 6 months prior to that. All of the things you mentioned are new, as well as pricing changes at various models/options.

3. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

I wonder if making the high amperage chargers standard on the P100s and 100s (X as well), there could be any forthcoming adjustments to the SCs that can take advantage of the dual chargers and reduce charging time?

4. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

The DC SC bypasses the on board charger which is an AC to DC converter.

5. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

Wishful imagination on my part, thank you for the reality check!

6. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

If power lift gate is included, then what does premium package give you now?

7. OBX John

OBX John Autonomous Driving Enthusiast

Looks like the 100D "price increase" was actually a standard feature increase.

I'm going to cancel my 100D order and re-order as it's now cheaper with the options I want, and the PUP seems fairly worthless now the power lift gate is included.

Unless I'm missing something, I now get a power lift gate and high amperage charger for $500 LESS than a car without them ordered before today.

• Like x 1
  8. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Not much of value except HEPA filter.

9. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

So the trend of fewer choices, more streamlined production continues.

• Like x 1
  10. George Jetson

George Jetson Member

#10 George Jetson, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    It appears to me that Tesla is trying to create model segmentation to placate the high-end buyers. Reserving options like SAS to only the more expensive models is classic big 3 technique.

11. bmah

bmah New Moderator, Model S / Model X Forums

That was my interpretation as well. It used to be that the various options were more-or-less orthogonal to the battery capacity or drive system, so you could get a car with limited range but all the options, or a long-range, performance, but stripped down car. In my completely uneducated opinion, this allowed the Model S to cater to a wide variety of customers, who had different priorities for their cars, and could pick and choose exactly the options that appealed to them (so you could buy a bare-bones P100D for the track, or a 60 with all the bells and whistles for your daily driver around town).

Bruce.

12. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

The forced bundling of certain options may partially be done to streamline production, but potentially also to increase profit by moving buyers up stream into higher margin model, using those features as a carrot. This isn't something that I feel is good from a consumer perspective and the flexible selection is options is something that help set Tesla apart from traditional manufactures.

My other car is a Honda Odyssey, and wanted leather so the mess the kids make will be easier to clean up. However, if you want leather seats, you'll have to move up to a trim level that comes will a whole bunch of crap like horrible navigation and DVD player (seriously, just give me an ipad).

I hope Tesla reverts some of this and continue to provide those flexibility.

13. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

I wouldn't count on it. I have noticed over the past several months that decisions have been more to the advantage of stock holders than to customers.

14. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

So what else do u lose out on -- besides the high amp on-board charger -- if you don't go for the 100D?

15. George Jetson

George Jetson Member

That's my "big car/small battery" spiel. I came to realize that although Model3 was more than sufficient in range; it was too small to meet my daily driver needs of hauling my dogs, guitar equipment, etc. I jumped to the S60 and then added some creature comforts to create my "ideal car". I don't know if I would/could do that today. The lack of SAS on the new 75 would be a deal killer for me.

16. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

So what else do you lose out on, besides the high-power onboard charger, if you don't go for the 100D?

17. George Jetson

George Jetson Member

Compared to what?

18. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

90D vs 100D.

I note that u can no longer get active air suspension with a 75D.

19. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

I assume the high amp charger can still be added later at a service center for the 75s and 90s?

20. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

An you can add that later.