Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Design center changes? (body color roof, power liftgate, hi-amp charger, SAS)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to cancel my 100D order and re-order as it's now cheaper with the options I want, and the PUP seems fairly worthless now the power lift gate is included
Whether or not the PUP is worthwhile depends on how much you value the features it still offers. I find the dynamic LED turning lights very compelling (ever since I was a kid I have wondered why car headlights could not be made to show me the road while turning!), the LED fog lights are very useful to me, and the HEPA filter seems important in our increasingly polluted world. But I agree that the price is formidable.
It appears to me that Tesla is trying to create model segmentation to placate the high-end buyers. Reserving options like SAS to only the more expensive models is classic big 3 technique.
I think that is exactly what Tesla is doing, and it is somewhat disappointing to me. I would prefer the company offer more option flexibility but I can understand why they want to streamline production. Still, when the major car companies finally do offer long range high end BEVs (years from now!) they will certainly offer numerous options and Tesla will have to re-think their buyer choices if they want to stay competitive.
And recently people have said the HEPA retrofit kit has disappeared off the site.
As of this moment I do not see that item in the online shop.

Reactions: calisnow and bmah
Whether or not the PUP is worthwhile depends on how much you value the features it still offers. I find the dynamic LED turning lights very compelling (ever since I was a kid I have wondered why car headlights could not be made to show me the road while turning!), the LED fog lights are very useful to me, and the HEPA filter seems important in our increasingly polluted world. But I agree that the price is formidable.

I would very much like to have those things, but I have a hard time buying something I know is overpriced. Yes, the car is expensive, but I'm fine with the value of everything but that PUP package without the liftgate. Even if I had unlimited funds, I would have a hard time getting past what amounts to a "bad deal". Kind of silly, but it seems to be deeply ingrained.

They really should have dropped the price by $1-2K of the PUP - maybe they will when the sticker price goes up on the 100D on the 24th? Funny how the total price could remain the same, but I'd order the PUP then and be happy about it!

Today's the last day before changes cost me $500. I'm willing to bet there's going to be something new in the design center soon that makes me regret confirming my order.

Reactions: Nevek
I would very much like to have those things, but I have a hard time buying something I know is overpriced. Yes, the car is expensive, but I'm fine with the value of everything but that PUP package without the liftgate. Even if I had unlimited funds, I would have a hard time getting past what amounts to a "bad deal". Kind of silly, but it seems to be deeply ingrained.

I don't think anybody is questioning your reasoning for saying that the PUP (without power liftgate) isn't worthwhile to you. It's definitely a worse deal than it was last week. But not everybody would agree with the blanket statement that "the PUP seems fairly worthless now". Agree to disagree, things like that.

Like @ecarfan I'd probably go for it anyway, somewhat begrudgingly (my current car has the old tech package, which contained some of the options that are now in the PUP). Ultimately it doesn't matter to me, I'm not ordering a new Tesla anytime soon anyway. :)

Bruce.

Reactions: OBX John
...But not everybody would agree with the blanket statement that "the PUP seems fairly worthless now"....
Bruce.
I'd still want it. I like the creature comfort things that nobody talks about. More leather surfaces where you actual have physical contact with car's environment, the ambient interior LEDs, in addition to the exterior lighting. I use the fog lights quite a bit as there is usually some drifting across the open sections of roadway on my morning drive. Like with most trim packages, the "value" you ascribe to it is entirely a subjective matter.

Reactions: Galve2000
the car looks much nicer with all those features u get in the PUP package.

just before I ordered my S85D in March 2015 they started adding alcantara accents to the top of the dash, and this is the 1st car I have ever gotten the extra "ambient" indoor lighting with and I can say I really enjoy it. it adds a touch of luxury to a vehicle that sorely needs it.

That said, back when I ordered you had to order the PUP package for the power lift gate which I refuse to do without.

My wife, in my opinion correctly stated, that a Tesla withOUT PUP is like the difference in a Toyota Camry vs Lexus LS interior. Still nowhere close to her liking but the Tesla is my daily driver so it gets to be in our fleet. lol lol

Once I mentally priced the Tesla up $2000 and then subtracted the $2000 from the $3500 PUP... I can't believe what a deal I'm getting for $1500! o_O;):D

Just finalized my S 100D order, with PUP. :cool:

i wonder if existing owners can still upgrade to the hi-amperage charger option seeing how when we bought it, it said "$1900 after delivery." I don't imagine it'd be too difficult to upgrade (same process as dual charger upgrades) and they still offer those.

i wonder if existing owners can still upgrade to the hi-amperage charger option seeing how when we bought it, it said "$1900 after delivery." I don't imagine it'd be too difficult to upgrade (same process as dual charger upgrades) and they still offer those.
If I'm not mistaken, the older dual charger offering had to be physically installed whereas the revised charger on newer cars just requires an OTA software unlock.

I would do without them. One less thing to break. My drivers door handle went out two weeks ago.

If they are unreliable, then fix it, not remove it. To me, they are to the S like the FWD is to the X. It is just magical when they extend to greet you. If they go away without something equally cool to replace it, then I am pretty much will ask for a refund instead of a rebuild.