Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Design center now shows 75D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, my prediction (FWIW) is that virtually every 70D buyer will opt for the upgrade to the 75. Why do i think so? because my causal observation was that the same thing seemed to happen when the 85KWH battery model had the option for 5 KWH to be the 90....
Could be wrong. Maybe the dynamic is different for those buying at the low end of the range versus the upper end....
I would argue that the 70 buyer is more like the 40 buyer -- which means fewer upgrades.

If batteries are a high cost item how come they are delivering higher specked ones at the lower price. If they can deliver higher speck at the lower price then they should just stick to 75, maybe increase the price $500. If 20% upgrade for $3000 it's almost the same thing. Nobody will complain if the cost went up $500 on their order.

My guess is that Tesla will get few takers on the opportunity to pay $3,250 for an additional 19 miles on the entry level car. Hopefully at some point Tesla will lower the price (say to $500) for the 70 owners who do not convert. It is better for to get something rather than nothing since the conversion cost Tesla nothing. The hardware is already installed.
We had the same idea.

My DS just called after an email to him this AM and I am all set. Toggled the extra 5 kWhs on my S which is a few weeks from production. It has lessened my regret of not going with the 90. I know I made the right decision to go with the 70D but you know how you always second guess yourself.

Reactions: Tellotes
Maybe it's a brilliant new way to end range anxiety and raise revenue. Stuck on the side of the road with a dead battery? No need for a tow truck! Just call up Tesla, credit card in hand. Software is pushed to your car, and you're on your way immediately. Or even better yet, just key your credit card info into the handy form that pops up when you run out of charge. Maybe you can even rent the extra capacity for $200/day. (Just kidding....mostly)

Except that when charging your car, you didn't charge to the top and then not use 5 kWh, you just didn't even charge that last 5 kWh. Thus, you are stuck on the side of the road either way.

So, my prediction (FWIW) is that virtually every 70D buyer will opt for the upgrade to the 75. Why do i think so? because my causal observation was that the same thing seemed to happen when the 85KWH battery model had the option for 5 KWH to be the 90. In my trips to the Service Center/supercharger/delivery center near me, it looked as if nearly all the Model S cars coming in during that period were 90s, not 85s (and a surprising number were Ludicrous as well).
Could be wrong. Maybe the dynamic is different for those buying at the low end of the range versus the upper end....

Would love to upgrade as my 70D is in production, but in Australia the upgrade price in my opinion is over the top and I can't justify the value? (still looking for reasons and performance increase would be a big motivator) Upgrade is $4500 + taxes = over $6000 if done before delivery. Ouch.

Except that when charging your car, you didn't charge to the top and then not use 5 kWh, you just didn't even charge that last 5 kWh. Thus, you are stuck on the side of the road either way.
Do you know that for sure? While I understand why it's logical, I'm just wondering if we know that's how it works. Obviously it can be verified once there are 75 kwh packs in the wild for people to measure voltages and compare a fully charged 70 to a fully charged 75.

My DS just called after an email to him this AM and I am all set. Toggled the extra 5 kWhs on my S which is a few weeks from production. It has lessened my regret of not going with the 90. I know I made the right decision to go with the 70D but you know how you always second guess yourself.

Did you get charged the order change fee of $500 in addition to the $3K? I'm contemplating the upgrade too.

Do you know that for sure? While I understand why it's logical, I'm just wondering if we know that's how it works. Obviously it can be verified once there are 75 kwh packs in the wild for people to measure voltages and compare a fully charged 70 to a fully charged 75.

We know for sure that this was how the 60s nerfed into 40s worked - they cut the top third out of the usable range, which apparently created some issues for battery balancing or range estimation or both that I've seen mentioned in a couple threads.

I don't think we know for certain much of anything about the 75->70 plan, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't just removing the top ~7% of the charge range.

Did you get charged the order change fee of $500 in addition to the $3K? I'm contemplating the upgrade too.

No extra charge. Remember, the 75 kWh battery pack is already going in. All they are doing is telling the software to let you use it. Since it wasn't available to us they are not charging the fee.
If they did then it would be smarter to wait till you had the car and activate it for $3250.

Last edited: