Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Design change after install?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Tesla designed two strings for my shaded roof and put them both on one optimizer channel using a junction box in the roof. The system was installed in December and at I didn’t notice it until the installation day. Tesla didn’t share the detailed plan with me until then. When I complained to the crew, they told they can’t do anything. I asked about it after the install via email but they told me that MCIs are optimizers and I don’t have to worry about shading in an email. I started monitoring my inverter and finally today I have clear evidence of the issue. When there is a tree shadow on half the panels of one array, the voltage drops in half while the other array is in full sun. Of course, production plummets as well to half. Eventually the tree shadow moves of the arrays but then it is late in the afternoon. This last about an hour in the middle of the day with most sun. It would literally take $50 and 30 min to add another set of wires in the existing 3/4 conduit to have each array on different channels. I called them today and they said they will talk to the local operations manager but I am not optimistic. Any ideas how to motivate them to do it?

I seem to be making progress. I just talked to technical support for Powerwall+ (not solar). They agreed there is underproduction and they were able to pull MCI data that showed the MCIs faulting.

They escalated to Tier-2 to generate a recommendation and schedule service. We will see how it goes.

I am wondering if there is some way to access the MCI data myself.