TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Design Flaw on Screen

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by MerkinT3, May 27, 2018.

?

Do you have the same problem and do you feel the mirror visual is the answer

1. The screen is fine.

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. I like the mirror indicator better.

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  1. MerkinT3

MerkinT3 Member

When my hands are at 9 and 3 on the steering wheel my right hand blocks the visual of a car in my blind spot on the left. There is no audio alert so i have to move the hand to check the image which is awkward. The Driver and Passenger mirror should have the indicator that lights as most people check mirrors first anyway.

2. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

I'm pretty sure that the view will be blocked at some hand position by everyone. For me, in most conventional cars, I can never see the speedometer because of the top of the steering wheel.

I'll agree that the mirrors may be nice, but then again, there are a lot of cars with none of the above.

3. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

Adjust your mirrors correctly and you won't have a blind spot.

Avoiding The Blind Spot

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  4. SDKoala

SDKoala RWD LR

Those sensors aren't reliable anyway. Just today, there was car stupidly riding in my right blind spot, sometime 1-2 car lengths back, sometimes almost right next to me. I knew he was there, but my display wasn't showing anything. I have my mirrors adjusted properly, but he was at the edge of my peripheral vision when looking straight and not visible unless I turned my head to shoulder check like I normally would when changing lanes.

• Like x 1
  5. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

I've adjusted mine that way for years, works great.

6. MerkinT3

MerkinT3 Member

Sure, adjust the mirrors, that's how we've done for years but now there is supposed to be a technological advanced helpful assistant...it's just in the wrong place to be seen if your hands are on the correct place on the wheel.

7. PLUGZIN

PLUGZIN Member

The mirror adjustment is important. Corporate safety training using the “Smith Driving Method” recommends mirror placement the same as link from knightshade. It would be nice if there was some kind of beep if a vehicle is in the blind spot and the turn signal is turned on. However, regardless of beep or indication in mirror; the safest practice is still to check mirrors and do a quick over the shoulder glance before making the lane change.

8. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Maybe move your hands to 10 and 2 ??

9. cybergates

cybergates Member

an option for a beep or chime (for those that want it) should be easy for them to add to sound when the turn signal is activated and a car is in the blindspot.. They obviously can't do anything about the mirror that doesn't have a blindspot light for a car that's already built.

• Like x 1
  10. Zedism

Zedism Member

The mirrors on these are small. There’s a giant hole between my rear view and side mirrors. I keep the rear camera on almost always to fill that gap.

11. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

For you. There are a multitude of other factors involved from driver height and posture to seat positon to steering wheel position that will affect this. If they moved it to accommodate you they'd likely be inconveniencing someone else.

12. Dana1

Dana1 Supporting Member

Maybe he’s a digital clock guy:)

• Funny x 2
  13. gambit48

gambit48 Member

In the mirrors is much more useful. My car has it on the A pillar. Stupid placement.

And I have my mirrors set wide so I can more easily scan for cops or other drivers further out, not in my blindspot (I turn my head to physically check). So having an assistant is nice for me.

14. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

With airbags, 4 & 7 positions are safer. Moving towards the top puts the arms in a position that they get pushed up, out, or straight back.