Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Design Flaw? White Interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AFFF787F-D348-4C6D-A25C-A90B0AD255A3.jpeg
on sunny days I encounter an issue with my side view mirrors. The reflection of the white strip across the dash reflects on the side window, directly across the side view mirror.

I’m thinking of placing a black strip across a section of the dash panel.

Have you encountered this?

I've seen this, but it's never bothered me much. OTOH, I have one of these mounted to my door:

Fouring BL Multi Blind Spot Mirror Rear Side Angle View Car Room Mirror | eBay

It's occurred to me that it may be blocking the worst of the reflection, but I'd need to pay attention to that detail the next time I drive to be sure. I bought that ancillary mirror because the Model 3's mirror doesn't swing out enough to properly adjust the mirrors to minimize blind spots in the way that few people do.

Reactions: KenC
I knew what this post was going to be about. I only noticed this happening after tinting my windows. And for me it has only happened when backing down into my barn. The car will be in the sun, but my mirrors are looking down and everything behind me is dark and hard to see through the glare. I do use the reverse cam, but I like to line up the door opening in my mirrors. (I don't want my car in the shop for months like TFL on youtube!)

I'd consider taking off that white dash trim piece and wrapping or painting it with something more reflections-friendly.

Would something like this potentially void any warranty?

Edit: thinking about this, I could even see myself wrapping it with some soft touch leather like material.

I just checked mine, and as I thought, my supplemental mirror blocks part (but not all) of the reflection:

View media item 120092
Repositioning it a bit would enable it to block more of the reflection; I wasn't paying attention to that detail when I positioned my mirror. Anybody who wants to give this approach a try, check your local auto parts store or the link in my earlier post (#4 in this thread). The seller is located in South Korea, which I didn't notice initially, but it arrived super-fast for me.

Reactions: KenC
  • Helpful
Reactions: MadChemist
This mirror looks nice. I noticed that the mirror is curved,
how does the view compares with the external rear mirror? In particular, is it practical at night?

The main purpose is similar to the point of the small wide-angle mirrors that you attach to the outside mirror, to improve the field of view. (Note how much more you can see in the add-on mirror vs. the Tesla's standard external mirror.) I bought it for that reason, as noted in my comment #4 of this thread. At night, the biggest problem is judging distance -- that's hard enough in a flat mirror, much less a curved one like this. I've only had it (and my Model 3) for a bit under four months, and I haven't yet done enough night driving to get used to that mirror at night.

Interesting. I've mentioned before that I can't get the side mirror to swing wide enough on the driver side to see my blind spot, and I was told, I needed to push on the mirror to get it to go all the way. Didn't help. I'm glad to find that I'm not the only one who's noticed that the mirror doesn't swing wide enough. First car that I've owned in 40+ years that couldn't swing far enough. Anyhow, your solution is an interesting one. I may have to get it.
I've seen this, but it's never bothered me much. OTOH, I have one of these mounted to my door:

Fouring BL Multi Blind Spot Mirror Rear Side Angle View Car Room Mirror | eBay

It's occurred to me that it may be blocking the worst of the reflection, but I'd need to pay attention to that detail the next time I drive to be sure. I bought that ancillary mirror because the Model 3's mirror doesn't swing out enough to properly adjust the mirrors to minimize blind spots in the way that few people do.

So does the wood dash also reflect, just not to the same degree as the white dash (obviously I have the white dash)? Also, does that little white strip pop out to enable it to be covered with something less reflective?