Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Design improvements over what people have seen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cosmacelf

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2013
San Diego
From today's (August 7) Q&A call, Elon said "There are some things we can do to improve the model X from the early prototypes that people have seen. There are things we can do to make it better. Some things that I like."

So ... to me that means it will look different from what people have SEEN. I'm still hoping for a less raked hatchback for more storage, and make a longer car to make the third row usage by adults. Here's hoping.

He also mentioned "exciting features" that he loves and hopes others will too. At the investors meeting he had also mentioned there something along the lines of wanting the Model X to have cool new tech. Really excited to see what those features are.

Sky is the limit as Tesla has shown again and again. Maybe stuff we can't even guess. Maybe the falcon doors become wings and it'll fly? Remeber Elon talked about that electric plane making a lot of sense.

What about where the touchscreen will go? Floating, like in the proto? (AO, I know you like that!) Or, more embedded like in the Model S?

I'm ambivalent on that now honestly. I do still like it, but I see the opposing view. Also wonder what it would be like to hit your face on that in a crash.

He also mentioned "exciting features" that he loves and hopes others will too. At the investors meeting he had also mentioned there something along the lines of wanting the Model X to have cool new tech. Really excited to see what those features are.

With elon that could mean everything from self driving to an ash tray that auto hides.

I'm ambivalent on that now honestly. I do still like it, but I see the opposing view. Also wonder what it would be like to hit your face on that in a crash.
With elon that could mean everything from self driving to an ash tray that auto hides.

I know, he finally read my post about built in Nespresso machine in the opportunity space -- no more gas stations or gas station coffee.

From today's (August 7) Q&A call, Elon said "There are some things we can do to improve the model X from the early prototypes that people have seen. There are things we can do to make it better. Some things that I like."

So ... to me that means it will look different from what people have SEEN. I'm still hoping for a less raked hatchback for more storage, and make a longer car to make the third row usage by adults. Here's hoping.

Agree. I will be upgrading to the Model X from my current ride (Honda Pilot) which seats 8 adults comfortably. Honda Pilot should be minimum size. The premium luxury market for SUVs includes Denali, Escalade, Yukon. These are all premium size vehicles and regardless Model X will have additional storage capacity in the frunk, having third row passengers heads positioned just inches from the rear glass panel is a huge safety issue. Model X needs at least 18" clear crumple zone between the 3rd row head rest and the rear door glass. I can't see Tesla skimping on this. I believe Elon said on the last conference call the there was "room for improvement" on the Model X design. The word "room" suggests the car will get bigger, same with his criticism of the i3 (i.e. it is not big enough).

Yeah, I'm hoping thinking is evolving in Tesla. Originally, the idea was to produce a second car (Model X) "on the cheap" by using the "same platform" as the Model S. But that would only ever give you a small SUV. I am hoping that with their hugely successful capital raise they have adjusted their thinking to what is possible rather than what is cheap.

Also it seems that Elon geeked out a bit on what is possible with two motors. They initially promised faster than P85 acceleration with the two motors. That's nice, but hardly important or maybe even safe for an SUV. Utility is what matters in the SUV. Cargo capacity, number of people it can sit, towing capacity, range, suspension, rear ventilation, etc. Yes, a premium SUV needs a good engine, but better than P85? That's a bit much!

I'm not looking for an Escalade or Tahoe-sized vehicle. It's not about 'what is possible rather what is cheap'. I don't want the biggest vehicle possible. I'd be sorely disappointed if that were the outcome (and would promptly have my deposit back in hand). They're not going to abandon a very public strategy of 'faster to market' by reusing the same battery platform for different vehicles. As a stockholder, that strategy has sat well with me. It allows for one production line, reuse of many things ... and that translates to lower inventory, more efficiencies, and yep, better parts.

And yes, performance is important to some buyers. Me, for instance. I'm looking for utility AND performance.

I'm not looking for an Escalade or Tahoe-sized vehicle. It's not about 'what is possible rather what is cheap'. I don't want the biggest vehicle possible. I'd be sorely disappointed if that were the outcome (and would promptly have my deposit back in hand). They're not going to abandon a very public strategy of 'faster to market' by reusing the same battery platform for different vehicles. As a stockholder, that strategy has sat well with me. It allows for one production line, reuse of many things ... and that translates to lower inventory, more efficiencies, and yep, better parts.

And yes, performance is important to some buyers. Me, for instance. I'm looking for utility AND performance.

+1 to this. I'm looking for a SUV/CUV that is somewhat in line in size as the old Infiniti FX series but can hold 7-8 adult sized people. If it balloons to a Tahoe / Escalade / Suburban sized car, that would take it off my radar (too big for Hawaii, it'll never fit in any of our parking lots, lol). If it has the performance of a P85, even better (and this is not to say that an AWD version of the Model S might not perform even better than the top of the line Model X, just that I think that Elon was saying that the top of the line Model X could outperform the current P85)

Ditto here. I'd like to be able to haul people and things and still have great performance (and handling). I don't need a Tahoe or anything of the sort. Maybe they can build something that huge down the line on a pickup truck platform. I basically want what I saw. Any improvements on that would be welcome, but let's not make it a huge boat.

Let me make it clear though, is there even an non-full-size SUV (meaning not something like a Tahoe or Suburban, etc) that can carry 7-8 adults? Are people asking for something that's not even on the market?

I don't want to haul people. I have no need for a third row of seats and would prefer they weren't there or removable. The open space is so much more useful to me. Removable third row seats would satisfy those with kids and also those (like me) with large dogs who need the space more than seats.

A suburban is in a league of its own in terms of size. I don't think many people want a Tesla SUV that big. It is a good point about the third row in many other SUVs (non Suburban size) not being comfortable for adults. So adding 4 inches to the Model X length and squaring out the back hatchback isn't going to increase its size much, but it will add a lot to the utility. The third row may still be a bit cramped for adults, but it would at least be possible. And storage space would increase a lot.

I would speculate that TM would be shooting themselves in the foot if they put Model X on steroids to make it Tahoe sized. Tesla will be marketing X world wide. Europe and Asian sales potential would, I think, be diminished if X is bigger than S platform. A medium size SUV with lots of room for people and gear that doesn't use EU priced gas should sell very well outside U.S.