Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Design improvements over what people have seen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still would like the X to have very comfortable 4 adult passenger seating and occasional 6 passenger seating, but used only for short trips e.g. house to restaurant. The middle row of seats should be really comfortable with their own climate control, power, cup holders, etc. so we can use the car for long distance (2-3 day round trip) travel with another couple. Because of the upright seating, I think the X will be a better long distance car than the S, and we often travel with another couple.

For me, the model X is replacing a Yukon XL. It doesn't need to be as big as the Yukon XL, as long as it has much of the functionality. I need to be able to tow my boat twice a year (but not for super long distances). I occasionally need to transport 6 adults. Also, the rear seats need to fold flat or remove, and there needs to be 48" or more of width in order to transport plywood or drywall. On my Yukon XL I can fit a 4x8 sheet with the doors closed; with the model X, it would be OK to drive with the hatch open if need be since there is no exhaust and I don't need to go a very long distance.

Yes, everyone here is asking to haul people. As currently shown the model x cannot IMHO carry adults in the third row. Not enough space between seats and not enough headroom.

did you actually sit in the third row? and how tall are you? I am 6'2" and sat comfortably but a little low in the third row at the reveal... so IMHO the third row is fine for most people for an average trip. :)

I've been going back and forth between the Model S and Model X. I would like to wait to see the X before making a decision, plan to put my deposit down shortly. I would prefer the X look more like an SUV than what it looks like now, a car. I would prefer the back does not slope down as much, that takes up a lot of space. Right now I drive an old Landcruiser and I use the back storage frequently.

The Model X that I have seen is a BIG car. Plenty of space and then some for people & stuff. So I'm w Bonnie and spleen and AnOutsider and those who don't want to be driving a tesla-badged BUS! I want performance as well that would only be reduced by more weight added on by increased size. Dare I mention reduction of range and economy too!? I want a fast AWD EV, IOW, a Model X, not a gross giant box. Besides, it already looks totally COOL.
So based on Elon's comments that inspired this thread, somebody smarter than me - please some exciting design ideas/changes that DON'T include transforming the X into something like the cars I've always hated. :rolleyes: ML

The Model X that I have seen is a BIG car. Plenty of space and then some for people & stuff. So I'm w Bonnie and spleen and AnOutsider and those who don't want to be driving a tesla-badged BUS! I want performance as well that would only be reduced by more weight added on by increased size. Dare I mention reduction of range and economy too!? I want a fast AWD EV, IOW, a Model X, not a gross giant box. Besides, it already looks totally COOL.
So based on Elon's comments that inspired this thread, somebody smarter than me - please some exciting design ideas/changes that DON'T include transforming the X into something like the cars I've always hated. :rolleyes: ML

You've struck the nail. In stores from Hasbro next xmas.

Happy to vent here:

When I went to see the X mock-up, I really was looking forward to seeing a gull-wing vehicle. I felt terribly let down to see the hermaphrodite that it is. To me, the bar-none single finest aspect of gull wings is that they permit superior entry and exit in crowded parking lots, or in a narrow garage. That the present Model X has standard-sweep front doors - like the one used 100% of the time by the driver, remember? - utterly annihilates that gull-wing advantage.

Re: slow, they couldn't even keep the door closed during the reveal event, so I think it's safe to say their operation isn't final. Though, the Model S hatch is a pretty slow opener/closer so we'll see.

Re: the doors not being in the front, I think the rear doors being what they are were intended to help passengers get in and out (both rows) much easier. You rarely have an issue with getting in and out of the front seats. I think they demo'd how little space was needed to open the doors in order to dispel any potential hysteria over them swinging out wide and being impossible to use (though, as you said, the front doors still do it, but we know the masses aren't always rational).

The bigger issue will be the height of the doors I think. I can't fully open the S hatch in my current garage, though there's no problem in my newer garage. They have 8ft doors, and I don't think that'll be common, so Tesla will have to keep that in mind. They can always do like the S hatch and have programmable max open heights (it'd be even better if that was geo-fenced).

/thought-soup

The bigger issue will be the height of the doors I think. I can't fully open the S hatch in my current garage, though there's no problem in my newer garage. They have 8ft doors, and I don't think that'll be common, so Tesla will have to keep that in mind. They can always do like the S hatch and have programmable max open heights (it'd be even better if that was geo-fenced).

Video -2013 shareholdermeeting @ 27:40 Elon states that the doors have proximity sensors which stop the doors from hitting the ceiling/obstruction. No need for geo-fencing when the doors will auto-sense different ceiling heights.

Of course if your ceiling is reeeeally low, you've got a different problem.

+1 vote for not over-sizing the X. The benefit of the overall architecture of the vehicle with its flat battery pack (no trans tunnel, gas tank, etc.), frunk, etc. will lend itself to lots of interior space for passengers and ultility while keeping the exterior less than Tahoe/Suburban size.

From today's (August 7) Q&A call, Elon said "There are some things we can do to improve the model X from the early prototypes that people have seen. There are things we can do to make it better. Some things that I like."

So ... to me that means it will look different from what people have SEEN. I'm still hoping for a less raked hatchback for more storage, and make a longer car to make the third row usage by adults. Here's hoping.

Don't forget that the frunk is already tiny now that you have a motor up front.

Smaller yes but not sure I would call it tiny
frunk model x.JPG