TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Design News: Challenges Loom on Tesla's Model S Project

Discussion in 'Model S' started by dpeilow, Jun 28, 2009.

1. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

May 23, 2008
    Winchester, UK
  2. chronopublish

chronopublish 2008 Roadster #VP27

Jun 10, 2009
    This entire article was written based on the assumption that Tesla is trying to sell a 300-mile range car for $49,900, when in fact they intend to sell a 160-mile range car for $57,400.
  3. EVnut

EVnut Darell, the EVnut

Mar 24, 2009
    Davis, CA
    #3 EVnut, Jun 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
    Two comments:

1. Raise your hand if you thought Tesla would have no challenges in bringing the S to market.

2. Gosh... where'd they ever get the idea that Tesla would make a 300-mile, $50k car? It wasn't the ad copy was it??? :rolleyes:

I just noticed that the ad copy is much better now. But it still implies that you can get a 300 mile car with a 45 minute recharge. And it also implies that it'll normally seat 7.

The Ad folks REALLY need to learn the word "optional." Or maybe, "added cost feature."
  4. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

Jun 22, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    They also seem to have failed to grasb that the current Roadster has a 53kWh battery which has costs around $20 000 - $25 000. Including the extensive packaging Tesla uses and with todays prices...
    As everyone said above, not the very best research they did there. They must not have shopped for a laptop before, with it's "weight from X lbs" and "battery time upto X hours".

5. bobw

bobw Tesla Reader

Sep 7, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    #5 bobw, Jun 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
    The marketing information should be crystal clear. Unfortunately, I'm not sure it would make any difference if it were.

In my experience too many journalists really don't care about getting the facts right. Too many are merely rumor mongers with delusions of grandeur.

In the CNN video about the London store launch the audio called the Tesla CEO "Elon Muss" while the graphics called him "Elon Muck".

I'm amazed they got the company name right.