TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Design News - Is Range Anxiety Real?

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Doug_G, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Design News - Captain Hybrid - Is Range Anxiety Real?

Curious... article seems to be going the route of saying Range Anxiety isn't real... but no, the conclusion:

2. Vger

Vger Active Member

The article makes a fair point. Hence Tesla's disproportionate success in the early EV market. They are the first and only vendor to design to cover the exceptional case-- road trips. A range of 200 miles and the (more fully buit-out) Supercharger network fulfills perhaps 99% of peoples real AND perceived needs.

3. lloyds

lloyds Member

I believe so. Have a colleague who drives a Nissan Leaf and she is always worried about planning her daily route. She shared with me her experience of having to drive with all the accessories off because she had to detour to Safeway for groceries. I thought it's nuts, but understandable when the range is only about 75 miles and her commute is about 60 round trip

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Thing is I don't consider those to be the "exceptional cases" or a "perceived needs" (perceived meaning "not real"). If you do it regularly, even if regularly means annually, it's not exceptional--just low incidence. In addition, you need some reserve for other infrequent cases, here's an example:

My commute is a bit over fifty miles round trip. Denise's is a bit over forty. The other day she had a flat. As I'd already arrived home when she called I had to drive to her workplace, I'd also made a side trip on the way home, so that day I put on over 100 miles. This means that unless I wanted to run down to the the last three electrons, I'd need a 120-150 mile battery. Had the power gone out the night before--it didn't, but you don't know when Murphy will strike--that would have put it up to a 200 mile requirement. And I'm positive that Denise wouldn't have been happy if I had said, "Okay, I'll be there but it will be two hours while I charge the battery".

5. PokerBroker

PokerBroker Member

I would think adding a little planning responsibility to some people's lives could be quite beneficial to them. I know quite a few people who could benefit from this side effect of owning an EV!

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Perhaps so, but it's a killer from the point of view of making sales of an EV.

7. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Certainly the one question that almost everyone asks at a show is "What is the range". Once I tell them almost all are impressed--a few even go on to purchase a Model S.