TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Design News - Why Electric Cars Are Safer

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Doug_G, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Wow, these articles are gradually getting more and more positive...

Design News - Why Electric Cars Are Safer

2. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

I think the Model S superior safety rating may be due to both its electric drive train and Tesla's unrelenting push to make the "best" car. There's a lot of reinforcement in that chassis—at least some of which is above and beyond what's required to meet federal safety standards.

I agree, though, the tenor of the articles about Tesla seems to be improving. The comments seem to be getting more positive as well—with the exception of the usual lithium naysayers.

3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I think this is one of those examples where there are two Tesla reactions to this:
    (1) Yes, we busted our tail with relentless focus on safety and you're quite right that our vehicle should be a shining example of how good an EV can be in this regard.
    (2) While we've invested heavily in making Tesla a best-in-class EV for safety, even the worst-in-class EV should be able to easily beat the best-in-class ICE for safety due to fundamental design and structure differences between the two vehicle classes.

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Indeed. At TESLIVE, Elon was quite passionate about how much effort went into the car's safety, and even said something about how he thought they hadn't emphasized that enough.

5. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

By the way, Tesla is replacing the rolling chassis in the stores with a newer version that has more of the frame included. Apparently, some customers were a little concerned when they saw so little protective structure on the first version.