Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Design Studio Options - Yea or Nay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After browsing this forum a bit, I think I know what I want and what I don't, short of these particular options. Some of I them, I have no idea what it is. Can you help? Yea or Nay?

Leather Performance Seats - thinking Yea, but are the red piping and no perforations worth it?
Matching Yacht Floor - thinking Yea after reading one thread here
High Power Home Charging - thinking Nay...i don't think i'll use twin chargers much
Parking Sensors - thinking Yea
Fog Lamps - this worth it?
Extended Nappa Leather Trim - expensive! this worth it?
Alcantara Headliner - this worth it?
Premium Interior Lighting - this add value?
Subzero Weather Package - thinking Yea (I'm in Utah)
Parcel Shelf - this worth it? (i heard no)

Opinions/thoughts appreciated!

Last edited:

I'd get the parking sensors for sure, just for resale even. There might be a way to turn them off if they really bug you.

I have the standard synthetic leather and think it's fine. Looks nice and matches the black leather of my seats. Paying $1K for a leather dash and door armrests isn't my thing.

This package focuses primarily on the rear seats. I wouldn't expect it to add much resale value, if any. I'd get it only if you expect to frequently have people occupying your backseat (like if you have kids) and want them to be able to see where their feet are inside and outside the car.

I like my parcel shelf but it was free. :) I'd pay $250 to keep it. I find it convenient to gently rest my phone, sunglasses, etc., on it while loading and unloading items from the trunk. I always carry my laptop and gym bag in the trunk. The shelf helps me feel like the car is kept nice and neat.

Worth it or not--so subjective. It all depends on your wants/needs, but. . . .

Leather Performance Seats - thinking Yea, but are the red piping and no perforations worth it?
Matching Yacht Floor - thinking Yea after reading one thread here
High Power Home Charging - thinking Nay...i don't think i'll use twin chargers much
Fog Lamps - this worth it?
Alcantara Headliner - this worth it?
Subzero Weather Package - thinking Yea (I'm in Utah)

The HPHC was worth it to me (though I ordered it back when it was two separate line items). Parking Sensors--I may have gotten them if they'd been available--not sure. Lots of people seem to want these, so if you think you may, then go for it. I have no idea re. the weather package. I'm glad I got my parcel shelf (I'm not sure what "I heard no" means--again, this is so subjective); I can put a lot of stuff in the trunk without anyone knowing it's there.

The other stuff (though I have some of it, because it used to be in the tech pkg) doesn't seem worth it to me.

What Colasec said.

The HPWC is convenient, or maybe have a mobile charger for home and one for the car. I like having option of twin chargers, but really not needed with the superchargers springing up everywhere. In Utah single charger plus a spare mobile adapter would be just fine.

I like the Alcantra headliner. Dunno if I'd miss it much if I didn't have it tho.

Leather Performance Seats - YES, I love the red piping
Matching Yacht Floor - No I like the CCI
High Power Home Charging - No
Parking Sensors - Yes
Fog Lamps - No
Extended Nappa Leather Trim - Yes
Alcantara Headliner - Yes
Premium Interior Lighting - Yes
Subzero Weather Package - No, I'm in the california valley, HOT HOT + HOT
Parcel Shelf - No, dark tint will suffice
Those would be my choices
I know this doesn't help you much, sorry!

P+ - Nope, car is too heavy, will never handle as good as a regular sports car for a $7000 upgrade in suspension parts i expect better handling than a GTR,
Carbon spoiler - at $1600CAD lol no (its double sided tape, maybe on a civic but not on a sport sedan)
HPWC - i would get this if i traveled lots so i had both the mobile and HPWC, but since i dont i didnt.
Tech Pack - yes (need led DRL, home link, the others wasnt priority to me)
Air suspension - i have it, maybe useful for winter, not worth $2500 extra
parking sensors - all i wanted was the rear view camera with parking lines, i dont think you need both sensors and the camera but im not sure how tight you have to park.
Fogs - these should be included by default, it gets really foggy sometimes where i am but if i were to get them i would get Amber ones
sound package - sound is a joke in this car, spend your less on a better aftermarket system
leather trim - nope, it doesnt do anything useful, and most people wont even notice
headliner - only if it was included, its nice but not needed
rear seats - only if you have 5 kids
interior lighting - useless, the led's are so dim it doesnt help, the trunk lights are also useless, they should of used high powered CREE LEDs
subzero package - should of been included, its needed where i am, wasnt an option at time of purchase
parcel shelf - complete rip off, its like the worst craftsmanship, mines peeling apart because the glue is crap, but its needed :(
tire upgrade - No, get better tires from tire rack
paint armor - DO NOT GET THIS, it doesn't even cover the front fenders, get aftermarket nano fusion or xpel ultimate (or some time of self healing protection for CHEAPER)
pano roof - its loud and noisey but my last car had it so i got it, not at $1600 it was hard to swallow becuase the design is bad, definitely not worth $2800
any of the wheels - go aftermarket, its simply not worth the price, i have the 21" and they are $5000! IMO 20" with good tires is probably the best combination
paint - the multi coat is worth it, i got regular black, the clear coat isnt as tough as it should be, you really hvae to be careful.
seats - havent seen textile yet, the leather is okay but not perforated, the performance seats use more cheaper synthetic materials, i have no idea why it costs more. if you have the time, get the cheap textile seats, and re-upolster with aftermarket to high quality perforated leather and ultra suede.
the carbon fiber looks nice for interior but for $900 extra? no,

i realize this whole post is negative but its my honest opinion, the upgrades simply are too expensive for what they are or have major defects in the design.
if the car was $100K USD with every option except performance+ it would be worth it (because the M5 has more than the options listed and is cheaper with more power and faster acceleration)

EDIT: i dont think you should consider resale value, on $100K car, there wont be any.... you will loose tens of thousands of dollars just in the first year, you will never recoup any of the money

^ I've seen you post so many negative things about the model S while at the same time praising the M5, why not just sell the Model S and get the M5?
you love the M5, you say it's cheaper and faster, so why are you still sticking with them MS?

^ I've seen you post so many negative things about the model S while at the same time praising the M5, why not just sell the Model S and get the M5?
you love the M5, you say it's cheaper and faster, so why are you still sticking with them MS?

I went the other way. Sold my 2013 M5 for Model S. Yes, the BMW has more features - and many are included at no charge. But $600/mo. in gas savings certainly makes me happy that I did what I did. I have an M6 (track car) that gives me my dino juice fix every now and then. While I appreciate some of the driver aids (parking sensors, blind spot monitoring, etc.) I always come back to Model S with a smile on my face.

what i really want is Tesla to fix their little issues so they truly have the best car. Opinion, on paper, in specs, everything, just a non-arguable fact.
they wont be able to get there unless the owners tell them what to fix, its the same as reporting software bugs.

the M5 is currently has the title of being king of the luxury sports sedan, Tesla is so close to knocking them off that title but they keep pussy footing around and not kicking ass.

Anyways, the options just need a little tweaking to be perfect, and the price just needs to be brought back into line, thats all im saying.

Thanks for your insight on those options, AC1K. Those are the comments I needed to understand the issues each option might have. It's also made me think about the pano roof which I was thinking of getting. Having owned a convertible, I now understand the more moving parts there are, the more things that will break. Any pano roof owners who regret getting it? Is the pano roof a worthwhile feature? I will be subject to hot summers and fairly cold winters.

Thanks for your insight on those options, AC1K. Those are the comments I needed to understand the issues each option might have. It's also made me think about the pano roof which I was thinking of getting. Having owned a convertible, I now understand the more moving parts there are, the more things that will break. Any pano roof owners who regret getting it? Is the pano roof a worthwhile feature? I will be subject to hot summers and fairly cold winters.

I love mine. But it does have issues that tesla is now fixing. My loaner car does not have the same issues so I hope the service bulletin fixes them.

It is a worthwhile option as it also gets you a little extra headroom.

what i really want is Tesla to fix their little issues so they truly have the best car. Opinion, on paper, in specs, everything, just a non-arguable fact.
they wont be able to get there unless the owners tell them what to fix, its the same as reporting software bugs.

the M5 is currently has the title of being king of the luxury sports sedan, Tesla is so close to knocking them off that title but they keep pussy footing around and not kicking ass.

Anyways, the options just need a little tweaking to be perfect, and the price just needs to be brought back into line, thats all im saying.
Gotcha, I just wasn't sure why you'd stick with the car that's quite expensive if you don't like it or the company that makes it

to be fair you can't compare a start up to an established auto maker, tesla at the moment does not have too much room for error with the one model they're producing, BMW on the other hand can afford to throw in goodies for a cheaper price as their price to build has gone down.
plus they have other models to bring in profit, tesla has one.

Last edited:
I went the other way. Sold my 2013 M5 for Model S. Yes, the BMW has more features - and many are included at no charge. But $600/mo. in gas savings certainly makes me happy that I did what I did. I have an M6 (track car) that gives me my dino juice fix every now and then. While I appreciate some of the driver aids (parking sensors, blind spot monitoring, etc.) I always come back to Model S with a smile on my face.

I sold my M6 for the model S. It was the last V10 imported! Great car, and I miss it, but the Model S is much more fun to drive day to day.

Do the latest delivered models still have this problem with their pano roof? Or has it been resolved?

Since there's an active service bulletin/campaign for the issue, I imagine it has been resolved at the factory. I had a Ranger on site the other day, helping me resurrect my neighbor's Model S after she left it unplugged for a month and a half. We talked about my car for a bit, and he mentioned this to me. He actually cited a VIN range with corrections, and mine was a few cars prior.

1. If I get the pano roof, what is the Alcantara Headliner option? I am think the headliner is the insulation stuff above you have a metal roof. Or am I wrong about that? If it is, then there is no headliner with a pano roof, and therefore, the Alcantara Headliner option doesn't apply?

2. Likewise, when the Drop-In Center Console becomes available (I would like to get this), would the Matching Yacht Floor be a waste of money to get?

3. What does the inside look without the Extended Nappa Leather Trim? I've only seen pictures of them with it.

1. If I get the pano roof, what is the Alcantara headliner? I am think the headliner is the insulation stuff above you have a metal roof. Or am I wrong about that? If it is, then there is no headliner with a pano roof?

2. Likewise, when the Drop-In Center Console becomes available (I would like to get this), would the Matching Yacht Floor be a waste of money to get?

3. What does the inside look without the Extended Nappa Leather Trim? I've only seen pictures of them with it.

There is still some headliner with the pano roof, just much less of it. If that isn't a major concern it's an easy option to skip as some people actually prefer it over the Alcantara while others don't.

If you are considering the Tesla console, I'd wait on the yacht floor as you might have to take it out to install the console.