Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Design Studio Options - Yea or Nay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had no noise what so ever from my pano roof driving at speed (over 100mph on the track, even). That seems to be a rare problem and probably addressable with fixes to the weatherstripping around the roof.

I did have some problems with the dreaded "pano creak" where it would make a creaking, popping noise when driving over things that flexed the car body, like speed bumps. A simple shim fix resolved the issue.

A friend of mine took delivery of his Model S last month and it didn't have the pano creak at all. The design of the pano roof behind the support brace where mine creaked appears to have been significantly redesigned. His VIN is somewhere in the low 14,000's.

I think it's safe to say that noise issues with the pano roof have been resolved.

More importantly, I haven't heard of any leakage problems anywhere here. That was the bane of the BMW X3 pano roof for years (thank goodness we never had that problem on my wife's).

i should elaborate more on the pano roof.

my roof is ultra quiet if its closed (as it should be),
if its in vent mode, going 50+ kph it has horrible wind noise, i cant even hear the music at vol 5,
opening to 30% decreases the wind noise and is bearable to 80kph
opening to 80% is quieter but not as quiet as my old car, if its raining you cant do this obviously

also you should note that you cannot passively have air travel though the car, if your climate control is off, the vents are SHUT.
on my old car i could vent my sunroof, and leave my climate control off and i have a nice breeze through the car since the forward movement of the vehicle forces air through the vent
i did this on my old car when it was raining, the air would move past the defroster air vents and defog my windows, this saves alot of wear and tear on your HVAC.

I'd say no to the yacht floor. Here's a better photo than the one in the studio.
photo.JPG

parcel shelf - complete rip off, its like the worst craftsmanship, mines peeling apart because the glue is crap, but its needed :(

Hmm, mine's fine. If yours is coming apart, try to get it fixed or replaced under warranty (or just out of "good will" from Tesla). If it hasn't been hurt in regular use, then it was flawed from the get-go and should be fixed or replaced.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for your insight on those options, AC1K. Those are the comments I needed to understand the issues each option might have.

...keeping in mind that's one person's take on it. ;-)

It's also made me think about the pano roof which I was thinking of getting. Having owned a convertible, I now understand the more moving parts there are, the more things that will break. Any pano roof owners who regret getting it? Is the pano roof a worthwhile feature? I will be subject to hot summers and fairly cold winters.

I'm happy I got it. Worthwhile depends on you--no one can answer that for you. But to me, it was worth it (admittedly, I don't open it much, but I like the openness and so do my rare back-seat passengers).

So now I'm confused. Is the extended leather trim a NEW option or is it something that WAS standard and is now being charged extra for? We sat in a MS at the Tesla store about a month ago-- I should have noted the VIN-- and can't remember if there was leather on the dash/armrests or not.

There appears to be additional leather--some of the fake leather has been replaced by real leather. So, it's kind of half-new.

So now I'm confused. Is the extended leather trim a NEW option or is it something that WAS standard and is now being charged extra for? We sat in a MS at the Tesla store about a month ago-- I should have noted the VIN-- and can't remember if there was leather on the dash/armrests or not.

It appears this is very similar to what was included in the Sigs and now being offered as an option.

The twin charger option is more useful than many owners realize. On several occasions I was saved by being able to plug into a 80kWh HPWC at a Tesla Store and at a Tesla Service Center. This allowed me to top off twice as fast in each of these situations, saving hours of waiting. That said, I believe the HPWC is overkill for the majority of Model S owners for home charging. What difference does it make whether you can charge in 4 hours or 8 hours if you're asleep? The rare exception might be if you have off-peak electric rates for a very limited period at night (4 hours or less). For this reason, the HPWC and Twin Chargers should be offered as two separate options, not bundled together. I've written to Tesla Sales about it.

The twin charger option is more useful than many owners realize. On several occasions I was saved by being able to plug into a 80kWh HPWC at a Tesla Store and at a Tesla Service Center. This allowed me to top off twice as fast in each of these situations, saving hours of waiting. That said, I believe the HPWC is overkill for the majority of Model S owners for home charging. What difference does it make whether you can charge in 4 hours or 8 hours if you're asleep? The rare exception might be if you have off-peak electric rates for a very limited period at night (4 hours or less). For this reason, the HPWC and Twin Chargers should be offered as two separate options, not bundled together. I've written to Tesla Sales about it.

Why don't Tesla Service Centers just have superchargers at their facilities?

A couple of notes on my options:

I love my pano roof but I di uave the creak that I am taking the
car in for the fix. I love the openess and the ability to open it during nice days. Wind noise is minimal but I have never driven a non pano roof car to compare.

Parcel shelf I opted not to get. I ended up buying one off of a member here and I much prefer having it. It is really nice but I think I got a later version after they made the changes.

Spoiler, I have a non perf model s 85 kwh so I didn't have the option but I got it from a forum member and I really like the look. For 1500 I would pass on it though.

A couple of notes on my options:

I love my pano roof but I di uave the creak that I am taking the
car in for the fix. I love the openess and the ability to open it during nice days. Wind noise is minimal but I have never driven a non pano roof car to compare.

Parcel shelf I opted not to get. I ended up buying one off of a member here and I much prefer having it. It is really nice but I think I got a later version after they made the changes.

Spoiler, I have a non perf model s 85 kwh so I didn't have the option but I got it from a forum member and I really like the look. For 1500 I would pass on it though.

Thanks for the comments. After seeing some pictures of the back, I decided the parcel shelf will come in handy as security.

That spoiler seems interesting and I liked the look at first, but is something I can live without. The hatch looks nicer with "less" I think and I save 1500.