Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Design Studio Update: "Lane keeping and self-parking updates will be available soon."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chademo adapter was labelled "soon" well over a year before it started shipping. So that's one data point.
Sure. My favorite sources, impeachable all, claim we'll have some autopilot functions with release of Model X to design Studio, coming in about two weeks time. The functions, according to those unreliable sources, will be highway lane keeping and self parking, including parallel, angled and straight in.

So, wishful thinking maybe, but i think we'll have those features before 6th September 2015 AD. I do want to be sure everyone is clear on my firm hypothetical, unreliable hoped for, confirmed date.
BTW, I really do not mind this being delayed beyond original expectations. I just keep remembering how great the package is, and am willing to wait for numerous catch-up features even though I firmly guard my right to complain about delays.

I am wondering if the autopilot features will be given to US customers first since Tesla has had time to map out and try US road systems and signage more often. The Canadian store probably doesn't show the "soon" verbage because we are getting it later than the Americans (as with everything!). Thanks for Beta testing my Yankee friends!

+1 - so we are wondering how "soon" is soon? Aug 1 is rapidly approaching and not a peep out of Tesla about lane keeping. This "feature" is the reason we purchased our 70D and not having it, after paying for it (and waiting for it), is really starting to bother me.
Really, that's why you bought a Tesla? Not for all the advantages of a long range EV compared to ICE cars? This shows a Tesla really has gone mainstream now and it's just another car to some.

I thought of a new signature line-- "Keeping in my own lane for more than 40 years."

Really, that's why you bought a Tesla? Not for all the advantages of a long range EV compared to ICE cars? This shows a Tesla really has gone mainstream now and it's just another car to some.

I thought of a new signature line-- "Keeping in my own lane for more than 40 years."

I'm in almost the same boat. I wouldn't even consider a Tesla that didn't have autopilot. Hard to say that it's the reason I bought the car, but I certainly wouldn't have bought it without.

Design Studio Update: "Lane keeping and self-parking updates will be availabl...

I'm in almost the same boat. I wouldn't even consider a Tesla that didn't have autopilot. Hard to say that it's the reason I bought the car, but I certainly wouldn't have bought it without.
I find your point of view incomprehensible. My 2013 Model S will never have Autopilot. I don't care. It is the finest car ever built when one considers the numerous advantages of the EV drivetrain, the amazing range, the incredible convenience of "refueling" (every morning I have a full "tank") and the free-for-life Supercharging that makes long distance road trips easy, I could go on and on. Also, the car is simply gorgeous inside and out.
The features that Tesla's first generation Autopilot will provide are certainly nice but are hardly essential. They are minor enhancements to an already amazing car.
Full autonomous driving will be a real leap forward but that is many years away and of course will require more sensors than current Model S have.
You are of course free to disagree with my position, as I disagree with yours.

I find your point of view incomprehensible. My 2013 Model S will never have Autopilot. I don't care. It is the finest car ever built when one considers the numerous advantages of the EV drivetrain, the amazing range, the incredible convenience of "refueling" (every morning I have a full "tank") and the free-for-life Supercharging that makes long distance road trips easy, I could go on and on. Also, the car is simply gorgeous inside and out.
The features that Tesla's first generation Autopilot will provide are certainly nice but are hardly essential. They are minor enhancements to an already amazing car.
Full autonomous driving will be a real leap forward but that is many years away and of course will require more sensors than current Model S have.

+1!

I agree. My 2014 "classic" P85+ will never have autopilot, and frankly I couldn't car less. I've been driving for more than four decades, and I thoroughly enjoy driving the Model S more than any other car I've ever owned, including high-end BMWs that are marketed as "the ultimate driving machine". I'm also a self-confessed techno-junkie, a semi-retired electronics engineer with a passion for new technology that changes the way we view and interact with the world and each other. The classic Model S helps me scratch that itch too. The over-the-air updates refine and add features to an already incredible vehicle, which is large, comfortable, non-polluting, quiet and quick. I've recently had a loaner with all of the autopilot sensors and features, including TACC, and after driving it for a few days trying out all of the features, I ended up disabling all that I could one by one. The driving experience was far less satisfying than my classic P85+.

While you all may be incredulous about autopilot and the fuss people are making about it, the truth is that a) Tesla did make and is making a huge marketing push around it and b) many people ordered and upgraded based on its presence. Your personal preferences notwithstanding. I'm sure there are other features of the car that you love that others can't understand. We get it, you don't care. Do you also insist on telling people having a conversation about True Detective that you don't even own a TV?

Last edited:

If they had clearly stated, autopilot will be available in 2016 or 2017 or ... then we would have either waited to purchase a new car (at that time) or perhaps seriously looked at the CPO cars which were just becoming available. My daily commute is almost all highway miles, and if/when lane keeping is available, it will make my drive much easier. That is why we purchased the car. We paid for the full autopilot features as they were advertised. I expected to get them by now. We had been following and rooting for Tesla for several years and the 70D was perfect for us. Without the auto pilot features we would not have purchased this car at this time. I don't think we are alone in this and I am increasingly disappointed that there is zero communication from the company.

Sure. My favorite sources, impeachable all, claim we'll have some autopilot functions with release of Model X to design Studio, coming in about two weeks time. The functions, according to those unreliable sources, will be highway lane keeping and self parking, including parallel, angled and straight in.

So, wishful thinking maybe, but i think we'll have those features before 6th September 2015 AD. I do want to be sure everyone is clear on my firm hypothetical, unreliable hoped for, confirmed date.
BTW, I really do not mind this being delayed beyond original expectations. I just keep remembering how great the package is, and am willing to wait for numerous catch-up features even though I firmly guard my right to complain about delays.

After seeing Elon's tweet. I guess you may be right!

I agree. My 2014 "classic" P85+ will never have autopilot, and frankly I couldn't car less. I've been driving for more than four decades, and I thoroughly enjoy driving the Model S more than any other car I've ever owned, including high-end BMWs that are marketed as "the ultimate driving machine". I'm also a self-confessed techno-junkie, a semi-retired electronics engineer with a passion for new technology that changes the way we view and interact with the world and each other. The classic Model S helps me scratch that itch too. The over-the-air updates refine and add features to an already incredible vehicle, which is large, comfortable, non-polluting, quiet and quick. I've recently had a loaner with all of the autopilot sensors and features, including TACC, and after driving it for a few days trying out all of the features, I ended up disabling all that I could one by one. The driving experience was far less satisfying than my classic P85+.

To each their own.

Here's why I wouldn't consider a non-autopilot Tesla, and some reasons your other reasons for owning don't resonate:
I LOVE driving. I had an m5, I have an mv agusta, I have an s4, and I absolutely love driving in the city, and in the desert, along the coast, and in the mountains (in socal, they're all within 20 minutes of each other :)). I feel that there are better "drivers cars" than the Tesla for those occasions. I bought the Tesla for a daily driver, instead. So what does my daily drive look like? A couple of hours in traffic on the freeway, with about 10 minutes of surface street driving. It's stressful constantly stopping and going again. There are close calls every day. I'd rather be relaxing and listening to music and "keeping an eye on the car".

I also have free j1772 stations at work, which makes it an awesome way to commute. I bought Tesla because autopilot will make it an awesome commuter car. I also love the idea of EVERY commuting car eventually being self driving and not spewing exhaust onto the air, so I like doing my part there.

I'm not getting autopilot to replace the parts of driving I love... I'm getting it to replace the parts I hate!

I find your point of view incomprehensible. My 2013 Model S ...
"I find it incomprehensible that you didn't take advantage of Tesla's generous offer of a discount and even earlier delivery to get a Signature Model S instead of ...."

Seriously, let's not bash people for what pushed them over the edge to getting a Tesla. Let's simply welcome them to the fold.

So, according to the Q2 call, v7.0 being released to 'Early Access' (closed beta) on August 16th. For the rest of us, 1-2 months after depending on success. So, we've got a while to go yet...
This is the same "Early Access" that was supposed to go live before the end of June and then before the end of July, is it not? I'll believe August 16 when I see it.