Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Design Studio Updates!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
19" turbine wheels. They listened! Looks like in silver only but can easily be reprinted black. That might hurt some of the aftermarket wheel plans but they'd likely come in much cheaper.

Yes, it is explained but not great. the "Performance" seats are with Alcantara, basically the standard seat on the P85 prior to all these changes...

Bottom line, prices are dramatically up across the board. My S85 with everything except the rear jumpseats would cost $12K more today than before. A decked out P85 without the plus, for apples to apples, is about the same $12K more. Alacantara, active air suspension, full leather interior, those were included in the P version before. The leather package which was the ENTIRE interior of the car was $1500, is now $4K essentially...big price increases.

- - - Updated - - -

So is the sound package completely redesigned?

This is not clear....according to the graphic, they haven't added any new speakers as far as I can see, but they have maybe tweaked the codecs and programming...

Not really the case. The old P model came with Alcantra, Air Suspension, Carbon Fiber Spoiler and Leather Interior standard....new P with new price does not. Bottom line is prices are dramatically up across the board.

Yeah it looks like it's up by around $5420 (ignoring tech package, but it is now required for air suspension). Even if you take the effect of the pre-announced air suspension price upgrade out, it's still a price increase of $4670 since yesterday.

So did everybody who was asked by the stores to hold of on ordering effectively just gotten a little bit screwed?

On the other hand, if I finalized a vehicle and then new options were released the next day without me getting warned beforehand, I would be even more upset about that.

I am really eager to see which of these options I can add or upgrade into my existing S85, if any:

Cyclone Wheels with Michelin Primacy Tires
Parking Sensors
Subzero Weather Package
CF Spoiler
CF Interior Trim

I think I would do all of them, if the price was right!

This I see as somewhat unfortunate for the following reason. ICE manufacturers basically option you to death...you think you are getting a great car but you have to get option after option. What that does is dramatically improve margins. What was nice about when I ordered was there were basically just a few options and you were done - this path is going down the more traditional ICE purchase path. Great for company and margins, not great for consumers.

I am really eager to see which of these options I can add or upgrade into my existing S85, if any:

Cyclone Wheels with Michelin Primacy Tires
Parking Sensors
Subzero Weather Package
CF Spoiler
CF Interior Trim

I think I would do all of them, if the price was right!

Certainly the first one, and I actually like the Aero's for the 19's...but i would only put in (and have already inquired to my local SC) Parking Sensors and Sub Zero Package, those are the only two i want.

- - - Updated - - -

Yikes. My P85 is now $14,400 more.

Exactly...what you first got as 'standard' stuff - alcantara, leather, air suspension, etc, are all extra's now, the P is basically the S but with the high powered inverter, that's it. and other options have had big price increases....basically that's our early adopter discount.

This I see as somewhat unfortunate for the following reason. ICE manufacturers basically option you to death...you think you are getting a great car but you have to get option after option. What that does is dramatically improve margins. What was nice about when I ordered was there were basically just a few options and you were done - this path is going down the more traditional ICE purchase path. Great for company and margins, not great for consumers.
I agree however at least things are still single options for the most part. BMW and others put everything as part of large luxury packages where if you want one feature you must order the package. Tesla is doing this with the tech package though.

I agree however at least things are still single options for the most part. BMW and others put everything as part of large luxury packages where if you want one feature you must order the package. Tesla is doing this with the tech package though.

Right, i was going to mention what BMW and Mercedes do, that said, I think that actually makes things easier for the consumer, they tend to package things together pretty well, bundling what 'should' go together. But why should the Air Suspension require the tech package? Just one point...

Right, i was going to mention what BMW and Mercedes do, that said, I think that actually makes things easier for the consumer, they tend to package things together pretty well, bundling what 'should' go together. But why should the Air Suspension require the tech package? Just one point...

People have different definitions of what should go together so I like the ability to pick one option and not another. Not sure why air suspension requires tech package. They should just build the tech package in to the car.

For one thing is it is difficult to order some of these options if you can't see them. I got Alcantara and Leather because they just happen to come with the P85, and I absolutely LOVE having them now.

But I was 5000 miles away from the nearest showroom when I had to finalize, so there was no way I could have seen the options. So I might not have ordered them if it wasn't bundled.

Ordering some of these options over the web would be tough, and unfortunately that's the only way to order for a lot of customers.

- - - Updated - - -

But why should the Air Suspension require the tech package?

Maybe the Air Suspension now finally supports GPS geo-fencing?

The bottom line is there has been HUGE price increases...huge.
Before: Leather Interior $1500
After: Leather interior $1500 (seats) + $2500 Dash/doors/armrest = $4000

If you had a P, that was included, along with Alcantara headliner (now $1500) and "Performance Seats" ($1000 upcharge from $1500 standard leather seats). So if you ordered a P before, you got $6500 of included interiors which is now not standard - plus you got active air, which is another now $2250, carbon fiber spoiler, now $1500, and fog lamps, $500...They've lopped off $10,750 of what was formerly standard inclusions in the P which are now optional...wow.

I wonder if these changes discourage new buyers? Honestly for me, there is just no way I could afford to buy a P85 now with all those price increases. I am very lucky I got in when I did. I would be very disappointed if I waited to buy until now, because it is now out of my price range. I stretched very thin for this purchase, and I know a lot of others did as well. Lucky, but I am disappointed by all the downgrades and the fact that standard owners can now get previously exclusive P85 options too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2