Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Design Studio Updates!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
StudioJon - Exactly the point I was trying to make earlier! These a la carte options are actually really nice for me too. I don't want nor need all that leather but I had to have it because it was part of the P85 whether I wanted it or not. My wife is thrilled she doesn't have to have it now and I don't feel like I'm paying for something I don't want.

My car went up $1900 and that's with parking sensors and possibly an upgraded stereo system. If the stereo system is the same one I just won't get it and without that $2500 charge the total of my new car versus my old car is the new pricing will be $600 less than the old one and I'll have the parking sensors we really needed for such a large car. And the difference between the old standard stereo and the upgraded studio sound package won't be missed.

The point that this is not apples to apples is not lost on me - but I hope others understand that paying for options that you didn't want that were bundled wasn't a great option for some of us.

- - - Updated - - -

Also for perspective, how about this:

Mercedes S550 (regular version without options) starts at 91k...
Mercedes S63 (AMG performance version, still slower than model S P85) starts at 140k without options.

Porsche Panamera S starts at 93k before options.
panamera Turbo 141k before options.

ICE manufacturers make you pay real money for the kind of performance of P85.

Tesla all the way for me!

Also I'm with Bonnie. Options are good. You can have what you want. Thanks Elon!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Deonb...... Exactly my point. If everything is bundled then you end up buying things you don't really want in order to get the things you can't live without. I think relatively few people really just want absolutely everything. They want the things they want.

I suspect a lot of P85 cars were sold to people who wanted the upgraded interior, for instance.

In the real world fully customizable is much better IMHO.

Even more interesting is that I was thinking about purchasing a 2013 Porsche 911S. Base was right around 100K. The options list is staggering. And I mean STAGGERING! Without a custom build the cheapest one I could find on the lot at dealers around Southern California was around $121K. You can get a leather shift knob, different door handles, emblems, wheel crests - you name it and it can be part of the car - for a cost.

My Tesla at 105K (and then 10K in rebates making it 95K) is a steal!!!!!

I think there was a change to the stereo... if not hardware then at least software-side because it now states that the sound profile will be based on your car configuration... I think this "tuning" etc. was not done in the old price...

My hunch is that there were hardware changes as well. The old premium sound wasn't that impressive and didn't compare well with premium sound from Lexus or others.

So with the extra $1500 I think they took the liberty to upgrade the hardware and software and make the sound system really good. Just makes sense to me.

My hunch is that there were hardware changes as well. The old premium sound wasn't that impressive and didn't compare well with premium sound from Lexus or others.

So with the extra $1500 I think they took the liberty to upgrade the hardware and software and make the sound system really good. Just makes sense to me.

Again, I'm no engineer, but what would be required here? Better speakers? there are still 12...my guess is software, which as someone points out costs money, just unsure how much.

Again, I'm no engineer, but what would be required here? Better speakers? there are still 12...my guess is software, which as someone points out costs money, just unsure how much.

Software alone has a limit of what it can do to improve a sound system with so, so speakers/amp/subwoofer. My speculation (and everything is speculation until Tesla clarifies) is that they are upgraded components, at least speakers which will make a huge difference.

Software alone has a limit of what it can do to improve a sound system with so, so speakers/amp/subwoofer. My speculation (and everything is speculation until Tesla clarifies) is that they are upgraded components, at least speakers which will make a huge difference.

Could be different brands of speakers, different capacity of the speakers, dedicated amplifiers to each set of speakers, more wattage, cleaner amps, less distortion, etc. There is so much more to it than "the old one had 12 speakers and this one has 12 speakers". They added a grand to the panoramic roof and nothing changed which makes me think adding $1600 to the stereo system might not have changed anything either and on my test drive my thoughts about the upgraded stereo were that it was mediocre. At best.

Again, you're right. It's all speculation until we see the specs from Tesla and if they don't provide them then we're waiting for user reviews.

And my thoughts are if they upgraded the hell out of it the description would note that. Instead they put some verbiage in there about tuning it differently depending upon your chosen roof type. Makes me think this is the same thing, rewrapped.

Last edited:
Lots of new options in design studio - but which are just really new?

Apologize if this was discussed in another post, but TM has completely redesigned the Design Studio on the site and added a lot more options, including new wheel and tire options, performance seats (on non-performance models), the lighting package, parking sensors and the yacht floor, among others. The pricing for options have changed and the base price decreased $6,330, while at the same time they added/took away standard features and made them $$ options.

Looks like the renamed Premium Sound to "Ultra High Fidelity Sound" and added a much better description, along with a price bump from $950 to $2,500.

Go check it out - Design Studio

What I want to know is, for things like the "Premium Interior Lighting" and the audio package, it seems like this is merely offering certain things ala carte and the "base model" will no longer have these items as standard/included. For some items, like the fog lights, I don't see a button in the controls, but I'm wondering if the hardware is there? I have "ambient lighting" in my July production vehicle in the controls, but I don't think I have second row puddle lights?

Tesla should communicate better with existing owners when they make these changes as to what's truly new, and available to retrofit and the cost vs. what's just merely renaming or changing standard features to optional.

Last edited:
I received my Model S July 30th and have all the lighting options listed. As for the upgraded stereo, I highly doubt they changed speaker hardware. I believe if anything, they may have changed the amp. Beyond hardware, a software upgrade is probably included. After all, it's a huge jump from 4.5 to 5.5.

I'm not an audio engineer so that may well be right, that said, what was advertised, and what I bought, was described the same way...if its a software change, it should role out to people who purchased the original Sound Studio Package...obviously the hardware can't be, but certainly the software should be, in my opinion.

Had a conversation with an inside sales person at Telsa HQ -- asked this exact question. They stated as far as they were told during the training on these changes the system is the same hardware with some software upgrades that "everyone who has premium sound" should be able to take advantage. One more reason not to modify my confirmed order...

- - - Updated - - -

Also to update on adding parking sensors to my confirmed order (with assigned VIN) -- currently have to reprice the whole car to add... which for me would be nearly 6400. Disappointed, but also appreciate the 5900 instant appreciation on my current order. I DID email a few people at Tesla to see if they were firm on the requirement to re-price.

My order just finalized on 31 July I ordered the dual chargers but under this new configuration I wouldn't have ordered it. I live in an apartment so a home HPWC isn't needed. I'd love to have the parking sensors but if I have to go in and reconfigure under the new pricing, Tesla just about priced me out of this car. I've got mixed emotions!

From a customer perspective, more options is optimal, but from a manufacturing perspective, it adds costs, not just in the manufacturing process but in the whole supply chain, since the supplier give pricing based on volume of components. I think Tesla focused on getting a top quality product out first, then optimizing production and supply chain, before adding more customization on purpose. This is consistent with many comments by Elon at various interviews. I don't think Tesla wasn't interested in what early adopted wanted but because made these business decisions to contribute to viability of a startup.

I applaud the early Tesla adopters that made this possible (thanks Bonnie and others!), and I applaud Tesla for creating a sustainable business model and being successful enough to role out more customization.

Oh where, oh where is that thread from way back when Model S options were released and everyone was upset that things were bundled and they wanted to be able to pick and choose? Remember back?

This is what everyone asked for, demanded.

It's a good thing. :)

While the additional ability to customize is great, the removal of standard items into options (for charge) while raising the base price (even after removing items) seems problematic. This new pricing model completely prices me out of the possibility of getting a second MS when our Volt lease expires next year. ANd if the MX pricing will be similar (I strongly suspect it will be), then I may as well cancel my MX reservation. Either the Mercedes B-Class or the i3 will have to suffice as our second car. And yes. I would be settling. but I can't afford another $80K car.