Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Designing a new USB Hub for Model 3

Would you buy this kind of accessory?

• Yes

• No

• Yes if <$100

• Yes if <$50

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first question is who the hell uses mini usb anymore?!

Second question is in that case I wonder how it is wired inside and if any hub could replace it.

I may be wrong, but: "Mini USB is more robust than MicroUSB when it comes to vibration, current capacity, and physical wear. All of which are important for an automotive use." Using a proper connector also allows them to conform to USB specifications.

I'm trying to get my hands on one, if possible (help!). My assumption is, there is USB Hub IC inside, with power path management and programmable current limited switches (because they up'ed the current via a software update).

I did some tests today in my Model 3. Here are my findings:
  1. The ports are dumb with regards to charging specifications. They do not support having voltages on D+ & D- lines as most of other smart chargers do. It just lets you draw current upto 2.4 Amps from VBUS and GND.
  2. They are HIGHLY SENSITIVE to current surges. It's very easy to trip the current sensor when connecting and inductive/resistive load. The in-rush current overwhelms the current sensor and it shuts of the power. It's on an exponential reset timer.
Will keep on updating this thread as my experiments continue.

Oh did I mention the two USB ports do not conform to USB specs anyways.

• Informative
Reactions: japhule
I may be wrong, but: "Mini USB is more robust than MicroUSB when it comes to vibration, current capacity, and physical wear. All of which are important for an automotive use." Using a proper connector also allows them to conform to USB specifications.

I'm trying to get my hands on one, if possible (help!). My assumption is, there is USB Hub IC inside, with power path management and programmable current limited switches (because they up'ed the current via a software update).

Oh did I mention the two USB ports do not conform to USB specs anyways.
Yea that makes sense. Sometimes my dash cam drive quits (ssd) especially if I try to charge a phone at the same time. I’m guessing the overcurrent system kicks in.

Hello? I'm also very interested in this. I currently have a dual-USB-C power plug in the 12V outlet with USB-C to Lightning cables to quick charge our iPhones while we're using them. For the front USB ports, I have the Jeda hub with a Samsung T5 SSD and two USB-C to Lightning cables routed to the charging area. It's very fiddly plugging our phones in there. I'd like to replace these with a wireless charger at full power, not limited to 5W. Another 12V outlet would be great, too.

Any update?
Working on USB-C PD.

Hello? I'm also very interested in this. I currently have a dual-USB-C power plug in the 12V outlet with USB-C to Lightning cables to quick charge our iPhones while we're using them. For the front USB ports, I have the Jeda hub with a Samsung T5 SSD and two USB-C to Lightning cables routed to the charging area. It's very fiddly plugging our phones in there. I'd like to replace these with a wireless charger at full power, not limited to 5W. Another 12V outlet would be great, too.

The only time we would need USB data connection is for USB storage and USB controllers. We don't necessarily need to connect our phones over USB data.

Im exploring this option as this considerably reduces the complexity of the circuit.

The current iteration allows for a add-on 12V female plug. For higher than 15W of power we will need to route 12V to behind the USB ports.