Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Desired features that aren't included

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may be a repeat threat but after driving a rental Volvo SUV this past weekend, I was pretty impressed with many of the features it offered and wouldn't mind it on a Model S. I thought I'd start a thread where people could make a wish-list of things they'd like.

The two major things I liked on the Volvo were:

1. Proximity sensors on all sides and corners of the car. This helped me tremendously as I'm not used to driving large cars and my sense of "how much room do I have left" when parallel parking or taking a tight curve is fairly off.
2. An "all clear" signal on both sides that detects when there is a car in your blind spot. This is one of my biggest worries when driving on the highway and having an indicator that tells me that I can safely change lanes would be tremendously helpful.

I believe the Model S doesn't have either of these features but it sure would be nice. What do you guys think is missing?

Just talking Hardware, not really in order:

Door Pockets
110 volt outlets in cabin, frunk, and rear cargo (we do have up to 85 kWh of power available, after all!)
Better center console
Fold-down center console in rear
Heated steering wheel
Heated rear seats
Power folding side mirrors
Heads-up display
Corner and Top cameras
Night Vision Assistance
Smaller, more traditional style sunroof option
Side Collision Avoidance
Park Distance
Seats that don't show butt prints
Adjustable headrests, especially in rear seats
Dark headliner option
20" wheels (21" too aggressive, 19" doesn't perform well enough)
Rear window wiper & washer
Slider for regen amount, going from zero to 30% more than is available today.

Yes, please stay on topic. Other stuff got moved here: Fantasy desired Tesla features

Sad that three of the perpetrators were TMC mods :rolleyes:

I'm looking for a lot more functionality from the touchscreen console as well (some of these may come soon in s/w updates):

- Full HTML5 support including video and audio. Flash support is debatable.
- Ability to play media through USB
- AirPlay support over in-car WiFi once that's enabled
- Public SDK for building custom apps. Ability to deploy on one's own car and also publish via a Tesla App Store.
- Access to the car's local storage from the home WiFi network

Most have already been mentioned above...

- Proximity sensors (instead of rear-facing camera)
- Dark-colored head-linder option
- Adjustable center console height
- Power-folding mirrors
- Door pockets / additional center console storage
- Ability to play media via USB

yeah, if you haven't driven a $60k+ car lately, you might be amazed at what they've got now.
[many things taken from smorgasbord's post]

Almost made me decide to get the Audi S6 instead of Tesla Model S:
Interior storage (make use of the box in the middle of the seats, door pockets, etc.)
Rear seat headroom
Adaptive Cruise Control that works in Stop&Go traffic
Parking sensors

I would happily pay extra for:
Fold-down center console in rear with cup holders
Heated steering wheel
Blind spot warning (I like the way Infiniti did theirs)
Rear window wiper & washer
Collision Avoidance (especially something in front of me) with seatbelt pre-tensioners
Heads-up display
Integrated sun shades for the rear seats (automatic would be nice for the rear windshield, manual is fine for the doors)
built in video screen in back of front seats for rear seat occupants

Features I'd use if they existed but I probably wouldn't pay too much extra for:
Option for more regen
Heated rear seats
Power folding side mirrors
Corner and Top cameras
Lines on the back up camera that show where the car is going
Night Vision Assistance
Adjustable headrests, especially in rear seats
headlights that turn with the steering wheel
front charging connector rather than on the rear side
110 V outlets

Things I haven't really seen elsewhere but should exist:
ability to write an "app" for my car. Tesla is supposedly working on the API, but it will be nice when I can decide that I want a menu button here that will open my windows 1" when I park it on a hot day, or whatever else I want the buttons to do.

Some kind of integrated car seats would be convenient.

Something on the screen that tells you how to turn the steering wheel to park in the center of the spot. Yesterday at church I watched some poor senior citizen try 4 times to park his Benz S into a simple, straight ahead parking space without leaving two wheels on the line. Okay, perhaps he shouldn't be driving, but at the same time, I'm not always perfectly centered myself, and there's no reason a computer couldn't tell me how to do it right.

Last edited:
We noticed that too. Tesla says not to slam it. If you press on the edge, it often doesn't close. If you press a few inches farther up, it does close, but really bends the hood in the process and Tesla suggests you not do that either.

Our DS suggested that we use both hands near the edge. That seems to work just fine - the only drawback is that if you just took something out of there, you need to set it down.