TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Desired options unavailable?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by nick_083, Oct 7, 2012.

1. nick_083

nick_083 Member

I have a P984, but a must have option for me (AWD) is currently unavailable. I assume it has to become available since X will have AWD - but during my discussions with Tesla reps they were very evasive in outlining IF or WHEN the AWD will become an option for S.

Now the question for the community: what do I do with my reservation in the meantime? I am OK continuing to offer Tesla an interest-free loan on $5K... but I would really like to have some evidence confirming I am waiting for a real thing.

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I don't think you'll get confirmation about AWD in the Model S by the spring or next summer unfortunately. The Model S's traction control, if it's like the Roadster, should be excellent. Would dedicated winter tires not be good enough for where you live? If AWD is a deal breaker, maybe the Model X might work better or the Model S will get it around the same time as the Model X in 2014.

3. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

But Tesla isn't going to give you that confirmation. So I'm unsure of what you're asking ...

- - - Updated - - -

Majority opinion on TMC is that there will eventually be an AWD Model S. But there is no confirmation from Tesla & (obviously) no time line. For them to announce something like that now could cut into current sales. See Osborne Effect.

4. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Prediction that I doubt anyone will argue with: X will be here long before an S AWD ever arrives.

5. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Concurred my good man.

6. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Well, SOMEONE will undoubtedly argue with that prediction. But I won't.

:)

7. nick_083

nick_083 Member

Thanks for your input - really appreciate it. Looks like the model X is a way to go then.

8. teslasguy

teslasguy MSP P#1117

If an AWD S is a requirement for you, then seems to me that you would be best served cancelling your current reservation and getting your $5k back.
    I think an AWD version is not in any neartime outlook. And by the time it is available they shouldn't have the long wait list they do now.

9. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

I'm sure you'll get a lot of good feedback from midwest owners over the next 6 months in terms of how well the Model S handles snow and slush, but as others have said, if AWD is a must, reserve the X.

10. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Curious -- why do you think AWD is a requirement? I ask because the Model S RWD system is *far* better than most people realize.

11. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

+1, I would go as far as to bet that Tesla's traction control for 2wd is better than most 4wd's!

12. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Right. I (unintentionally) drove my Roadster through a blizzard last winter and it handled it quite well. The traction control is pretty amazing. I'd expect the Model S to be even better.

13. nick_083

nick_083 Member

Traction control - no matter how good it is cannot defy the laws of physics: there's only so much traction each tire gives you based on the size of the patch which meets the road. It is naive to assume you can have better traction with some smart gadgetry and only 50% of the potential grip on the road.

The AWD is a personal preference. I've done a fair share of rally driving and none of the RWD / FWD cars handle the way their AWD counterparts do. I can guarantee you that with all the technology and instant torque AWD model S will be a lot faster and much more fun to drive, whether it is a straight line or hugging the corners.

14. Zextraterrestrial

You can drift different and better with a 4wd than a 2wd ...and the S will drift

15. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I agree (my current car is AWD), however my experience here in Canada is that most people like AWD for traction on wintry roads. The problem is that for most people, they get into trouble trying to stop (not accelerate) and when it comes to stopping, AWD affords little, if any benefit (for the "typical" driver).

16. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

+1. Driver experience and skill trumps any vehicle technology.

17. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

Agree. I keep a set of good chains in the car instead. 2WD with chains has better traction in deep snow than 4WD without chains.

18. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

I'm not saying RWD with awesome T/C in the Model S is *better* than AWD ... I'm saying it's more than sufficient to get through some pretty heinous wintry conditions; you'll see a LOT of other cars getting stuck before you do.

19. Brian H

Brian H Banned

It should be sufficient to tell them, "Brakes are already on all 4 wheels on any car. So no change in stopping power."

20. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

+1 Ben...2 seasons of Roadster winter driving...TMC's traction control makes the Roadster better than most FWD & RWD vehicles I've driven through the winter...