Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Desparately - DESPARATELY need Someone to Sell Me Their Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Man, I have been waiting for a Tesla to come into my price range for 4 years now. I am OH so close, but my wife needs a new car BADLY. If I don't find a good deal on a Tesla in a few days, I'm gong to have to break down and buy a new ICE car - and I swore I had bought my last ICE car the very minute I saw my first Tesla.

Someone save me! Please!

What's your budget and requirements? Maybe we can point you in the right direction or tell you the feasibility of your goal. Are you buying (cash), leasing, or financing?

Man, I have been waiting for a Tesla to come into my price range for 4 years now. I am OH so close, but my wife needs a new car BADLY. If I don't find a good deal on a Tesla in a few days, I'm gong to have to break down and buy a new ICE car - and I swore I had bought my last ICE car the very minute I saw my first Tesla.

Someone save me! Please!

Why would you buy a new ICE car instead of used if a Tesla is not viable yet?

My budget is around $40k. The problem is, my wife is much less in love with Tesla than I am (well, she loves Tesla - IF she could have a P100D!!). To her, she sees that we can buy a new or almost new ICE car for around $35k that has all the latest features of an ICE car (Apple Carplay, adaptive cruise, collision warning/EB, heated/cooled seats, etc) - but for $40k in a Tesla, we'd have to get something in a 2012 or 2013, a 60, very few options, high miles, and most likely out of warranty. She has read all about the fit/finish issues of the older cars and thinks we should do one more ICE car and see where Tesla and others are at with EVs in 3 to 4 years (and then, the 4 year old Tesla will be a much better 2016).

It's hard to argue with her logic - old high mileage, low-feature Tesla, or a brand new loaded ICE with full warranty.

See why I said, "desperate"? Because my situation is not really solvable.

EDIT: And BTW - we did a test drive with Tesla a few weeks ago in another of my desperate attempts to avoid an ICE this time. I needed her to see just how awesome a Tesla was. It worked, however, not exactly how I planned. She fell in love with the car - but AP was her favorite feature - which is another reason she wants to wait on getting a Tesla, because AP will be much more affordable in 3 to 4 years.

Why would you buy a new ICE car instead of used if a Tesla is not viable yet?

Honestly, we have never bought a new car. We always buy one to 2 years old. However, in the cars we are looking at (Lexus RX350, Ford Edge, Kia Sorento, etc), I have found that the used cars are within 95% of the price of a new one. In fact, given all the incentives that are going on right now, we can buy a 2017 Ford Edge for less than I've found a comparably equipped used one with less than 20k miles. So, for the first time in my life, it makes no sense to buy a used car.

How about giving her your current car, and you buy a $40K used Tesla for yourself? Perhaps she'd be sympathetic if you explain that it's more than just a car to you, that it's a step you want to take toward a cleaner and safer world.

If she won't go for that, then see if she'll take your current car and you buy a cheap, used Nissan LEAF (or Chevy Volt, etc.) to tide you over while saving for a Tesla.

How about giving her your current car, and you buy a $40K used Tesla for yourself? Perhaps she'd be sympathetic if you explain that it's more than just a car to you, that it's a step you want to take toward a cleaner and safer world.

If she won't go for that, then see if she'll take your current car and you buy a cheap, used Nissan LEAF (or Chevy Volt, etc.) to tide you over while saving for a Tesla.

Problem is, I work from home so I don't need or have a car. Her drive to work is about 30 miles (45 mins) so I like to keep her in something very reliable.

Which brings me to my next problem - service. Where I live, the closest SC is Jacksonville and it is outside the Ranger limit - so we'd have to drive to Jacksonville for any service or warranty work. She isn't non too happy about that.

not really any problem at all. You are both right. The answer is the model 3. The solution is to get a lease on the cheapest ice you can get, something your wife will hate, for 2 years. Save any $ you can for the model 3 budget and go ahead and reserve it today.

This is your answer, I think. Worth what you just paid :)

Someone save me! Please!
I don't understand why you think you want a Tesla at all. You constantly complain on this board about how the company treats its customers. You've been mostly negative about everything Tesla. So why get any closer to that by actually owning a Tesla vehicle?