Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Desperate cry from customer moving to Canada – Note to Tesla, Inc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the major differences are KM vs miles in the dash (easy), red seat belt release buttons, and always-on DRLs.

From what I recall in other threads on this issue, there is an approved list of cars that can be imported into Canada. Teslas are not on the list. Canada is open and willing to put Tesla on the list, but for some reason, Tesla is not (at this point) willing to work with the Canada government to put Tesla on the list. I don't think it has to do with specific hardware requirements, as most US cars already conform (or are trivial to change with software). And it's not about milking Canadian customers. I think it's just Tesla doesn't have the desire and/or the resources required to give Canada what they want to add Tesla to the list. I don't think it's a conspiracy.
The reason is because Tesla wants to protect their new car market in Canada. They don't want used US vehicles to compete with their new car sales in Canada. There's also an issue in the US with Tesla not having dealerships. It limits their ability to sell used cars privately.
I understand the issues for Tesla. But it's very frustrating that they are doing nothing to help me in my situation.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
The reason is because Tesla wants to protect their new car market in Canada. They don't want used US vehicles to compete with their new car sales in Canada. There's also an issue in the US with Tesla not having dealerships. It limits their ability to sell used cars privately.
I understand the issues for Tesla. But it's very frustrating that they are doing nothing to help me in my situation.

That simply makes no sense. The inverse of protecting their new market in Canada is that they hurt it in the US.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
That simply makes no sense. The inverse of protecting their new market in Canada is that they hurt it in the US.
I’m sorry, my logic is right. Canada is a very small economy/market compared to the US. California itself has a much greater GDP than Canada. The Tesla Canada policy has no impact in the US. In fact, there are no restrictions with importing a “Canadian” Tesla to the US. That makes sense because importing a Tesla from Canada would have no impact on depressing used Tesla prices in the US.
Case and point, have a look at the price of a used Tesla in Canada vs USA.

I’m sorry, my logic is right. Canada is a very small economy/market compared to the US. California itself has a much greater GDP than Canada. The Tesla Canada policy has no impact in the US. In fact, there are no restrictions with importing a “Canadian” Tesla to the US. That makes sense because importing a Tesla from Canada would have no impact on depressing used Tesla prices in the US.
Case and point, have a look at the price of a used Tesla in Canada vs USA.

1 less car in Canada = 1 more car in the USA. Because of differing governmental studies, your point is not valid at face value.

The reason is because Tesla wants to protect their new car market in Canada.

Do you have any evidence to back up your claim? Or is it just your opinion/assertion? If that's true, why isn't it true for all other car makers who allow do allow US imports into Canada?

There's also an issue in the US with Tesla not having dealerships. It limits their ability to sell used cars privately.

What issue? Tesla lists and sells hundreds of used cars every week in the US. Why does not having dealerships have anything to do with that? They have stores, galleries, and service centers in most states easily accessible to 90% of the population. I'm not seeing the tie-in to not allowing US imports into Canada because Tesla doesn't have franchised, independent dealerships in the U.S.

They don't want used US vehicles to compete with their new car sales in Canada.

If that's really the case (and I don't think it is), do you really think your offer of $5000 is going to matter to Tesla who is allegedly protecting millions of dollars of new car sales in Canada?

• Funny
Reactions: Frisco-Dad
Do you have any evidence to back up your claim? Or is it just your opinion/assertion? If that's true, why isn't it true for all other car makers who allow do allow US imports into Canada?

What issue? Tesla lists and sells hundreds of used cars every week in the US. Why does not having dealerships have anything to do with that? They have stores, galleries, and service centers in most states easily accessible to 90% of the population. I'm not seeing the tie-in to not allowing US imports into Canada because Tesla doesn't have franchised, independent dealerships in the U.S.

If that's really the case (and I don't think it is), do you really think your offer of $5000 is going to matter to Tesla who is allegedly protecting millions of dollars of new car sales in Canada?

I won't divulge my sources, hehe, but I heard it from Tesla as an explanation for not allowing the import of my car. And it makes sense.

1 less car in Canada = 1 more car in the USA. Because of differing governmental studies, your point is not valid at face value.
My point still makes sense ;). Let me see if I can be a little clearer. Don't want US used cars to take away sales of new cars in Canada (e.g. I would have bought a used Tesla in 2016, but they were difficult to find and there was/is no perfect substitute for a Tesla). Used Tesla in Canada valued higher than equivalent in the US because lower of availability of supply in Canada / smaller market. Higher prices for used cars makes new cars more attractive - gotta love that new car smell.
Over time, I suspect the supply and demand imbalance of used Teslas in Canada (which leads to higher prices) will start looking more like the US supply/demand. At that point, Tesla will have no incentive to restrict US used cars entry into Canada (maybe with a fee for some modifications as other manufacturers do). But for now, though, they are doing what they need to do to maximize revenue in Canada. Good for shareholders, not great for customers in my rare situation.

As they say down under. “Cock-up before conspiracy” or maybe the more familiar “Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity”

See: Hanlon's Razor
Hanlon's razor - Wikipedia

With zero evidence to prove otherwise, that’s what I would go with.

One I use which often works in this situation as well -- the simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

I'd say the guy at Tesla was tired of listening to him whine, and just said whatever to get him off the phone.

As they say down under. “Cock-up before conspiracy” or maybe the more familiar “Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity”

See: Hanlon's Razor
Hanlon's razor - Wikipedia

With zero evidence to prove otherwise, that’s what I would go with.
That's naive. There are numerous cases of gray market imports being blocked to protect premium markets, and Tesla is a company that exercises a large amount of control over their products in a way that is clearly bad for the consumer and good for revenue.

I'm only willing to give Tesla leeway on the way they act because they're so desperate for money and because nobody else is doing what they're doing (VW doesn't and won't ever count).

It's not nieve. There have been several threads on this exact issue over the last several years, and there are many theories as to why Tesla won't cooperate to get their cars on the approved import list. And there's still no evidence to support any of those theories. A single, unnamed, unidentified "Tesla Employee" is not evidence. Was it a front-line sales associate or owner advisor? It's very well known that they know squat when it comes to corporate policies. Service Center employees know a little more than sales, but probably not what the corporate policy is on Canadian imports. Was it a higher-up VP of Sales? If so, why won't they go on record and state 'this is our current policy'? But we don't. All we get is "Tesla is not on the list, go ask them."

That's naive. There are numerous cases of gray market imports being blocked to protect premium markets, and Tesla is a company that exercises a large amount of control over their products in a way that is clearly bad for the consumer and good for revenue.

I'm only willing to give Tesla leeway on the way they act because they're so desperate for money and because nobody else is doing what they're doing (VW doesn't and won't ever count).

No idea why Canada is a "premium market" and not buying this conspiration theory. Like others said no reason why Tesla would care where people bring the car to long as they have paid money for it. Tesla just don't want to spend resources to modify a car for someone to register it in Canada. Not necessarily an ideal situation for person involved but that accusation is just uncalled for.

Last edited:
I believe that your company is based in US and has an office in Canada?
If so, can't you keep a residency in US, so you keep your car with licenses plates?
You might have to pass the border time to time then?
Unless you plan to become Canadian resident.

I have a dual citizenship, so I get US salary and European Holidays!

Did I missread the articles on this? It all looked like a problem created by government regulation out of the hands of Tesla or even any other car maker.

The government would allow it if Tesla allowed it. Tesla would have to make whatever changes were necessary to bring it into compliance, some software, and likely some hardware. (or provide a list of changes and make parts available to complete those changes, then the car could be certified for import.)

• Helpful
Reactions: CarSam