Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Desperate for a road trip!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm 6 weeks into my P85D ownership and loving the car but I'm gutted that to date I haven't had the need for a road trip that would involve the need to use supercharging, feels like I need to make up a trip just to experience it and tick the box prior to actually having to plan a trip.
What's your made up road trip stories......or just me?

We love road trips in our Teslas and we've made many trips, including 5 cross country trips. In October we did 3k miles to visit our parents who are in the eighties who needed some help. The trip was not good. We practiced social distancing and mask wearing. We did stayed in Hilton hotels that were taking the pandemic very seriously and using special measures cleaning the rooms. All our meals were take out. Many people were not wearing masks or attempting any type of social distancing. Many places were closed. We will only travel out of necessity during Covid.

Did a road trip in my 100D from SoCal to Zion National Park in Utah a couple months ago and it was fantastic. Used the supercharger in Yermo, CA then in Las Vegas, NV, and finally the St. George, UT one before getting into Zion National Park. We hiked the Narrows, saw the sights, and ate wonderful food. The hotel next door to us had free destination charging, so I let it charge up the night before we headed back, allowing us to skip the St. George supercharger and head straight back to Vegas. It was a smooth, quiet, and relaxing road trip with my family, very enjoyable in our Tesla.

Reactions: byeLT4
I hear you. With this covid confinement, we cancelled our last summer road trip.
We had planned to drive to Italy (Tuscany, Rome...), but changed our mind, following public advise to avoid travels.
Looking back, we should have done it anyway, it turned out safer over there :eek: (and was actually not forbidden)
Next one is the trip to the French mountains, for New Year. Really eager to be on the road... and even more to enjoy some ski vacation with our friends.
It won't be the same, as I except Restaurants & Bars to still be closed, but we'll see.

I feel your pain. We are older and retired, and have avoided travel since the Covid shutdown began in March. We also missed taking a couple of weekend trips in 2019 due to personal circumstances, so it has been too long!

I've made a few small trips to visit family this year, but that's it. I am traveling for Thanksgiving (I know, party of 4) and will supercharge a few times. I can't wait to get out of the house.

I remember taking delivery of my car in October of last year and driving back from Chicago to Northern VA (split into two days). What a great experience even just eating up highway miles.

Camping has been great. Road trip where I don’t need to interact and travel was permitted. Drove up Vancouver Island and camped in a beautiful spot in the car! Camp mode is very comfortable.

There is just on supercharger en route but there are Chademo adaptors.

Attachments

• 29A9BB58-09A4-49CE-B542-60C15C15B942.jpeg
    29A9BB58-09A4-49CE-B542-60C15C15B942.jpeg
    463.8 KB · Views: 69
Road trips in a tesla is great. But make sure you have the patience. Supercharging will take time. And especially with an older performance tesla, it can take longer than usual. You won't be driving long before needing to stop to charge.. Finally add the winter weather, it might not be a pleasant experience as you might expect. I would either wait for warmer weather or expect to stop often and for long periods each charging session. Then it would be a good trip.

Pre-covid, we actually didn't mind the longer waits, as the SuC surroundings provide opportunity to relax comfortably (Hotel lobby/bar, Restaurants, Malls) while waiting.
Now, those facilities are all closed or highly limited, so that will definitely a different experience. Need to take with us food/drinks for the stops & lecture or whatever to pass time.

I got my P85+ early August.

I read from Finnish Tesla Club Facebook site that some people have visited all of Finland's superchargers in a row! There are only nine superchargers in our country, but they are quite far apart.

The total trip is about 1400km (870 miles). Many have passed this "Super Tour" easily under 24h, even with old 85's. But we planned to sleep one night in car, and divide the trip into two parts! We had inflatable air mattress in the back, and our 9 year old kid actually slept sideways in the front seats.

I had portable gas grill in the frunk, and sausages in ice box. :D The look on people faces when we pop out the grill while charging. :D

I don't really understand the negative comments on 85 charge times? It's still pretty darn fast. The ABRP estimates (last picture) hold very well. As you can see it's mostly 10-20min stops. Usually we accidently "over charged" because it took so long eating, drinking coffee or going to toilet etc..

The longest charge to 92% was where we slept for the night. At the supercharger, yes. Against all recommendations. :) But we were the only car there, so no penalty fees..

image-20200919_171934.jpg
20200918_171956.jpg
20200918_174708.jpg
20200918_175622.jpg

I’m in Salt Lake City, UT. In the last few months I’ve done road trips to St. George UT, Page AZ, Moab UT and Las Vegas NV. All have been fantastic experiences using the supercharger network.
I just completed a road trip between California and Colorado. There was a long stretch in Utah between two Superchargers. I had to go 65 mph on a 80 mph stretch for a few miles to get to the Supercharger with 3% battery remaining.

Utah is such a beautiful place to drive through (personal opinion; my kids were not impressed). On the first pass, we drove through part of it at night. On the return trip, I limited the driving to daytime hours to ensure that I would get to take in the sights.

I was concerned about restroom availability so was prepared with a portable potty. We didn't have to use it. The stops were near hotels or gas stations with restrooms open.

The stops were good for us. We ate food, played Pokemon Go, and/or watched Netflix. Even in a gas car, there would need to be breaks for the humans. That's why there are Rest Areas without fueling options. A Supercharger is a rest area that does double duty. It's ok to hang out there because there are no gas fumes.

A Tesla is great in a time that requires minimizing contacts. There's only the plug to touch. Due to turnaround time, there are far fewer contacts of the plug. The paired setup of stalls encourages social distancing as cars are spaced out to maximize charging rate. If we can't be outside, we can stay inside the car and be comfortable.