Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Desperately need Superchargers along I-44 (whining)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
Next week I go to a festival in Norman OK, some 320 miles from my home (Nixa, MO) along I-44. But I'm a bit time constrained. I can't leave until around 3pm and need to arrive to do some preparatory work as early as possible that night.

I've located one HPWC along that route in Bristow, OK that's just a bit too far to reach from my home, so I'd need an interim charge. I have a friend in Joplin who has a NEMA 6-50 I'm sure I could use, but I'd need to be on it at least an hour...probably more given the interstate speeds anticipated and the drive through downtown Tulsa... Then another 2 hours or so in Bristow, OK just to make it. that 3-4 extra hours puts me in Norman at around midnight...just not reasonable since I have about 3 hours of preparation I need to do for the festival the next morning.

Add to that the need to get home in a timely fashion on Sunday since I have to work that night and taking the S is just not realistic. And it kills me...I desperately want it to be the vehicle that I can take anywhere to do anything, but with no love at all here in the midwest (at least South of Normal, IL) this is just one of those times where I don't see a realistic way to make this work out without putting myself at an extreme inconvenience.

Keep building those Superchargers Tesla...

Next week I go to a festival in Norman OK, some 320 miles from my home (Nixa, MO) along I-44. But I'm a bit time constrained. I can't leave until around 3pm and need to arrive to do some preparatory work as early as possible that night.

I've located one HPWC along that route in Bristow, OK that's just a bit too far to reach from my home, so I'd need an interim charge. I have a friend in Joplin who has a NEMA 6-50 I'm sure I could use, but I'd need to be on it at least an hour...probably more given the interstate speeds anticipated and the drive through downtown Tulsa... Then another 2 hours or so in Bristow, OK just to make it. that 3-4 extra hours puts me in Norman at around midnight...just not reasonable since I have about 3 hours of preparation I need to do for the festival the next morning.

Add to that the need to get home in a timely fashion on Sunday since I have to work that night and taking the S is just not realistic. And it kills me...I desperately want it to be the vehicle that I can take anywhere to do anything, but with no love at all here in the midwest (at least South of Normal, IL) this is just one of those times where I don't see a realistic way to make this work out without putting myself at an extreme inconvenience.

I know your pain, having done my 300 mile Pagosa to Boulder and back route so many times. When Silverthorne came, it decreased the distance to 230 miles, but that still takes care.

As I am sure you know, without Superchargers on a long trip, you can get there faster by slowing down. I bet if you slowed down some you could make it to that HPWC. Every 2-3 mph you slow down from 75 mph on a 100% charge will get you more than an extra 10 miles range. Too many times, I have driven with the semis at 55-60 mph to get there sooner. :mad:

As you say, keep the Superchargers coming, but until then, slowing down will get you there faster... :wink:

but with no love at all here in the midwest (at least South of Normal, IL) this is just one of those times where I don't see a realistic way to make this work out without putting myself at an extreme inconvenience.

Ditto for Canada, western NY and nothern PA.... :)

Hopefully 2014 is the last year we take our ICE vehicles because they are far more convienent...

I know your pain, having done my 300 mile Pagosa to Boulder and back route so many times. When Silverthorne came, it decreased the distance to 230 miles, but that still takes care.

As I am sure you know, without Superchargers on a long trip, you can get there faster by slowing down. I bet if you slowed down some you could make it to that HPWC. Every 2-3 mph you slow down from 75 mph on a 100% charge will get you more than an extra 10 miles range. Too many times, I have driven with the semis at 55-60 mph to get there sooner. :mad:

As you say, keep the Superchargers coming, but until then, slowing down will get you there faster... :wink:
I found a non-interstate route that cuts 9 miles off (and obviously would be lower speeds) that makes it 211 miles to the HPWC location. Would still need at least 2 hours there, but that cuts me back to a 10pm or so arrival...might be doable. My wife wants the Tesla for a college reunion and is pressuring me to let her take it...may have to just forget the Model S for this weekend for the sake of efficiency...but I hate it.