Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination Charge is no practical now...still rely on SC only?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@dhcp

Oh wow, such a great, detailed response about where to charge during our trip to south lake tahoe! Thank you!

My plan for the late July trip will be to try the realtor's office first, then the power utility company. I've yet to try Plugshare yet, but maybe it's time (this will be only be our 2nd roadtrip since getting the MX). Our travel will be from a Fri - Monday.

Our trip will start from Cupertino with being fully charged. Stop at the 2nd Folsom Supercharger (most east one on US50) for lunch and top off with the kWs. Once at SLT sometime during our 4-day stay, top off again for around town driving, then maybe try to make it all the way back to Cupertino w/o stopping at the Supercharger again, or stop off for a bit to stretch our legs. We'll have 6 people plus luggage, so I'll be a tad paranoid about range anxiety....we'll see how we feel then.

Your rated miles vs actual miles data is very interesting. Most importantly, your details helps reduce our anxiety about charging during the trip, so I REALLY appreciate it!

To make matters worse, there is now an adapter available that will allow non-Tesla vehicles charge at Tesla destination chargers (but not Superchargers).
Is there? I know some people have been working on one, but I wasn't aware there was one available now. I've wondered how they would get around the pilot signal that Tesla uses to recognize 'yes this is a Tesla' (and threw the Roadsters for a loop, as a result - but that's resolved and another story).

The biggest problem I see is the hotels with the destination chargers are very expensive hotels compared to other hotels in the area. At least in the EU.
I would stay in a nice posh hotel for my holiday, but not if I'm just stopping by for a quick nap and overnight charge.
Same for superchargers, eating at the supercharger venue is generally really expensive in France.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
Another problem I find with destination charging is often they expect you to valet the car which cost $10-$20 extra. Yes, you would expect EV chargers only be available in high end hotel due to cost of installation/upkeep also more EV owners are of higher income.
Tesla first approached high end hotels and resorts, so you'll find a lot there, but more recently they opened up the program. There are lots of Best Westerns and Holiday Inn Express with destination charging now, for example.

Another problem I find with destination charging is often they expect you to valet the car which cost $10-$20 extra. Yes, you would expect EV chargers only be available in high end hotel due to cost of installation/upkeep also more EV owners are of higher income.
There are some like that, but none of the one's I've been to even have valets. That must be a California thing, as the last time I used a valet was in the 1970s.

I find destination charge is only practical under specific conditions.

1) You are staying at hotel over night

2) You are at an event or theme park for more than 3-4 hours.

In either one of the two above, the largest problem is the lack of charging ports. I can't fathom what was going on the planner head when they decide to provide a charging station. Was it purely for advertisement purpose or bragging rights that their location has one or two spots?

To be practical in any sense, at the very minimal if a location plan to add a charging station, they should at the very lease add 10 spots. I've yet to come across a Hotel or Theme park there they are open. If people plan to park there all day or over night, it make sense to provide many. It should be at a ratio of 1 to 4 or 1 to 6. One charging station for every 4 - 6 ICE spot.

Putting a time limit on them make them useless. I see dumb place putting up a sign of charging limit to 2 hours or less. At best you get 40-45 miles of charge. Useless.

In either one of the two above, the largest problem is the lack of charging ports. I can't fathom what was going on the planner head when they decide to provide a charging station. Was it purely for advertisement purpose or bragging rights that their location has one or two spots?

To be practical in any sense, at the very minimal if a location plan to add a charging station, they should at the very lease add 10 spots. I've yet to come across a Hotel or Theme park there they are open. If people plan to park there all day or over night, it make sense to provide many. It should be at a ratio of 1 to 4 or 1 to 6. One charging station for every 4 - 6 ICE spot.

Putting a time limit on them make them useless. I see dumb place putting up a sign of charging limit to 2 hours or less. At best you get 40-45 miles of charge. Useless.
I did a 6000 mile cross North America trip last fall. I didn't plan out hotels along the way, just drove until I needed rest and crashed at a nearby hotel. I visited a handful of hotels with destination charging. They all had 2-4 spots. Only once I saw a spot ICE'd, but there were still available spots. HOWEVER, never once was I able to get a room at any of those hotels on a walk-in basis! They were nice and said I can still charge, but I wasn't stranded, just figured I'd save myself supercharging in the morning.

PS> If sleeping in a town with a supercharger, I recommend supercharging BEFORE you go to sleep at the hotel. Charging in the morning after a cold night parking is painfully slow (add 30 minutes to regular charge times at least). It might have been faster to get on a highway, gun it for a couple of exits then come back with a battery warmed up.

Reactions: smilepak
...PS> If sleeping in a town with a supercharger, I recommend supercharging BEFORE you go to sleep at the hotel. Charging in the morning after a cold night parking is painfully slow (add 30 minutes to regular charge times at least). It might have been faster to get on a highway, gun it for a couple of exits then come back with a battery warmed up.
I've learned that lesson as well.

Disneyland has about 20 stations, Universal has about the same (though I think they are spread out more).

Don't really understand your first point. The two specific conditions you cite is basically the definition of the destination charging program-- they're for overnight destinations and day trip destinations.

Your point about number of charging stations may just be a California thing. I've never encountered another Tesla when using destination charging stations at hotels and B&Bs in Texas and the southeast.

Don't really understand your first point. The two specific conditions you cite is basically the definition of the destination charging program-- they're for overnight destinations and day trip destinations.

Your point about number of charging stations may just be a California thing. I've never encountered another Tesla when using destination charging stations at hotels and B&Bs in Texas and the southeast.

Actually I was more comment on both destinations and other EV chargers